SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dtwinters_gw

Down to Final 2 Heat Pump Bids - Lennox vs. Bryant/Carrier

dtwinters
11 years ago

Thanks in advance for any and all advice provided by HVAC professionals and homeowners with firsthand knowledge on the proposed Heat Pump packages. I've posted in the past on the kitchen and bathroom forums, but this is the first time on the HVAC forum.

My family and I bought a 1986 built brick/minimal wood siding house in Austin, TX 78746 in Nov 2010. The all electric house was mostly original as far as energy conversation measures. It does have decent doors, insulated windows throughout, and a good number of shade trees blocking direct sunlight on each side and some of the roof. After moving in I took advantage of the tax rebates by quickly jumped on having open cell foam blown in the attic in part to provide additional storage space that didn't reach 120 degrees in the summer.

The two story house has 3,400 square feet and two HVAC zones. The ground floor has 9' ceilings and is 1,900 square feet with a separate one story 8' ceiling bump out for a guest suite. That heat pump was installed in Sept 2010 and is a 3 ton Bryant with a 15.0 SEER and 12.5 EER. It runs well and makes the ground floor plenty comfortable year round.

The second floor (three bedrooms, two baths, and one open area office is a different story. The attic located air handling unit is original (26 years old) and the outdoor 2HP Trane XE 1000 was installed in 1998. The system works but it has a hard time keeping the temperatures comfortable and their is a decent return air vacuum in the master suite when the door is closed. With the wife liking to sleep under a decent weight of covers even in the summer and setting the thermostat to 73 and 72 on occasion, we have power bills that have topped 3,100 KWHs and $310 (top tier summer rate is $0.03615 per KWH and we're bracing for a marked increase within the next year). That price is even with digital thermostats and setbacks. I should add that we have a pool with a single speed 1 1/2 hp pump. I'm going to swap that out for variable speed pump once I get my AC figured out.

I've solicited bids from five different contractors for Carrier, Lennox, Bryant, Amana, Trane, and American Standard equipment. All the companies have good reputations as shown in Angie's List and Yelp. I've narrowed it down to these two bids:

Bid #1 - Cash price of $7,926 after taxes, $1,000 manufacturer rebate, and $600 City of Austin rebate

* Lennox Signature (AHRI 5269230)

* 2 Ton XP21024

* CBX32MV024030IC air handler

* ECB405CB coil

* 25,000 Cooling BTU

* 25,000 Heating BTU

* SEER/EER 18.2/13.0

* HSPF 9

* Evacuate/flush existing 5/8 and 3/8 diameter lineset roughly 35 feet

* Heat Strip - Need to ask

* Healthy Climate - media air cleaner

* iComfort Control - thermostat (color touchscreen and Internet enabled)

* 10 year warranty both parts and labor

* Additional return air run to master suite

* Extra dampers two help balance rooms

* Includes 2 tune ups/cleanings

Bid #2 - Cash price of $7,747 after taxes, $1,000 manufacturer rebate, and $600 City of Austin rebate

* Bryant Evolution (AHRI 5226627)

* 2 Ton 289BNA024

* KFCEH2901N09 air handler

* FE4ANF003T coil

* 24,800 Cooling BTU

* 25,400 Heating BTU

* SEER/EER 18.0/13.5

* HSPF 10

* Evacuate/flush existing 5/8 and 3/8 diameter lineset roughly 35 feet

* Heat Strip - 9K

* Aprilaire with 2 extra media - air cleaner

* Communicating digital - thermostat

* 10 year warranty parts, 1 year warranty labor

* Additional return air run to master suite

* Includes 2 tune ups/cleanings

* Willingness by contractor to go with Carrier equivalents for no extra charge

* EXTRA CHARGE -> $1,090 for 10 year warranty that includes labor

Note that the Lennox contractor was the first bid I got and this Bryant contractor was the last and had an inquisitive sales rep who sweetened his bid more than once after learning generalities of the first bid. The first contractor was incredibly responsive when I submitted online to qualitysmith.com. They returned my call at 10:00 PM on a Sunday. I have not asked them if the given price is their best offer.

Thanks again for any and all help here. I hope to make a decision on Monday and have the system installed Friday.

Appreciative,

Trevor in Austin

P.S. I've included a pic of how nice a 26 year old AHU looks!

Comments (4)