SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
viki412ag

York vs. Lennox vs. Carrier

viki412ag
12 years ago

Our 55 yr old GE gas furnace is officially dead, and it's the bittersweet end we've been waiting for. Our A/C still works but it's 24yrs old, and we're choosing to replace it. We have a one yr old Aprilair humidifier which we're keeping and we're adding a 5 inch media cleaner or similar (no allergies in our household)

We're pricing out some very high end fully modulating furnaces and heat pump combos and it's going to make some contractor very happy. But for now, I need some advice and expertise. We live in Western Pennsylvania and have a bi-level, 1960s, brick house, approx 2600sqft of livable space. I'm including some of the lower level even though part of it is underground, half of it is above ground and we have an office and family room with a 9 ft window down there so I want the heating/cooling capacity to accommodate those spaces (not included is a 2car integral garage also at the lower level).

We love technology and each furnace we're considering comes with it's own little smart computer/thermostat (Lennox iComfort/York Communicating control/Carrier Infinity control) which all 'talk' to the different appliances to help them work together for best efficiency. So before I get into the specific models...

My first question is... If we get one of these 'smart' furnaces/thermostat combos - can the heat pump be a basic/non-smart/non-communicating heat pump or are we then negating the entire purpose of having a SMART system?

Second request - if you live in climate similar to Western PA - what has your experience with heat pumps been?

Third - here are the options...(I'm not listing the air cleaners in the choices as we are not too picky about those)

Option 1 York

York Affinity YP9C (80K btu reccomended)

with LX Series YHJF H/P OR with Affinity Series YZF H/P (depending on if h/p must be of the 'smart' variety or not)

Option 2 Lennox

Lennox Signature SLP98V (SLP98DF 090V48C) w/ Lennox Signature XP17 Heat Pump

Option 3 Carrier

Carrier Infinity 98 (80K) w/ Infinity 16 H/P

I need to start calling these guys back on Monday (tomorrow) with any follow-up questions so that I can make my choice and hire someone in the next few days. Furnace is on it's last leg.... all constructive advice/opinions welcome.

Thanks!

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations