SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andreww_2009

Periscope dryer vent with stacked pair?

andreww_2009
14 years ago

I'm dealing with a space only 32" wide and 30.5" deep, with an immovable dryer vent on the left wall. Having established that I _might_ get a full-size (27") stacked pair that fits the depth with side venting on the dryer, I'm realizing that I'll only have about 4" of space on the left side!

It seems like there are only two options: either a rectangular periscope style vent (like this: rectangular duct requires 3" space) or maybe a quick-turn elbow right out of the dryer (like this: quick turn elbow requires 4.5" space so I may have to go periscope) [note: links chosen as illustration, no recommendation implied]. I'm also a fan of rigid ducts, vs. flexible rigid metal or flexible foil.

My concern is that while a dryer only shakes a little, sometimes a washer shakes a lot while spinning (by design). If I've got the dryer mount on the the washer as a stacked pair, will the washer shake so much it looses or harms the conections for a rigid dryer vent? If so, would a flexible vent solve this?

Or am I worrying for nothing?

[I'm also considering a 24" pair, which solves the tightness problem, but I'm still concerned about the shaking].

Thanks!

=aw

Comments (2)