SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drcindy1

what is a load calculation?

drcindy
14 years ago

Hope I don't sound stupid but I want to make sure I understand some of these HVAC terms. We're just beginning to get quotes on new furnaces and heat pumps. I've been reading various posts and keep seeing advice about making sure load calculations are being done. What exactly is that and how is it calculated? I've only had 2 quotes so far. They ask me square footage of house, # people in house, and one asked about # of registers. Both have looked more closely at the existing furnace. Both have noticed our return air registry (can't remember if that's the correct term) should have been installed in the second floor and not the first, and both have subsequently recommended attic fans. The guy who gave me a quote today said because of the incorrect placement of that return air vent, the upstairs would DEFINITELY be 10 degrees hotter in the summer if I did not install an attic fan. Any thoughts on that? I live in the Seattle/Tacoma area where it doesn't generally get very hot anyways (although we had a scorcher last week), so I don't know how relevant that will be. thanks!

Comments (3)