SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gillylily

My DH HATES the ceiling fixture I picked :(

14 years ago

Soo.. the lighting is all being installed as we speak. When I was shopping for fixtures, he said whatever you buy I know I will like- I trust you..

WELL... the fixture I purchased for over the table is the ethan allen fixture linked below (I can't figure out how to upload it to my photobucket account b/c I have an apple computer). I love it and think it looks great. He likes it but doesn't like that it will block the view to the TV from the kitchen- the kitchen totally opens up to the family room (this is the view from the kitchen)

Where that wire is hanging is where the table fixtures goes. The difference is he is 6' and I am barely 5, so for me it doesn't really block it entirely. The tv will be above the fp

ARGHH.. what do you think I should do.. just make him grin and bear it.. besides, if he really needs to see the tv from the kitchen he can sit at the table!!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Ethan Allen Light

Comments (75)

• 14 years ago

We have a similar situation ... we spent a lot of time figuring out sight lines from the island, even mocked up the lights with tennis ball cans. We used these clear pendants, and it works great.

Not sure how clear glass shades would work with your current pendants, but food for thought ... maybe move the pendants over there and use a bigger light over the island?

• 14 years ago

I'm with redroze, ccombs1 and your DH! You have a beautiful room flow disrupted by a floating horizontal. It's a beautiful fixture, but it interrupts everything and forms a jarring perpendicular with your fan. Because of the space, it winds up looking a little like a highway sign. It's too much.

I'd move that fixture to the space over the island and move the current island lights to the table. Make sure they're all on dimmer switches!

• Related Discussions

I think I may hate my Kirby

Q

Comments (6)
    I bought my kirby in the eightys. It was a year old, when I got it. Have never had any problems. Suction is excellent. I use the carpet shampoo system every three months on my white carpet. My carpet is normally dry within an hour. I am using the allergen control formula (lavender scent). I like the smell. I did try using another brand carpet cleaner once. It left my carpet wet for a long time and didnt get it as clean as the kirby carpet shampoo. What I dont like about the kirby--no on board attachments. I have used other hand held vacs, when I am to lazy to swith to the hose. They just don't compare to the suction of the kirby. Bags are expensive. I did find some at the flea market that are a little less expensive. I have to change bags every week. We now have aquired a big hairy great pye. At least she matches the carpet! Carpet Shampoo $27. I have to say it is the best $250, I have ever spent on a vacuum plus a carpet cleaner. I guess it will go to my daughter when I croak.
    ...See More

Hating my new ceiling fans! Lights too dim!

Q

Comments (6)
    The usual 40 watt candelabra base incandescent produces around 450 lumens. You can get 13 or 14 watt compact fluorescents with candelabra bases and outputs in the 600-825 lumen range, which would increase your light by 33% to 83%. The only concern would be whether they'd fit into your fixture's globe. http://1000bulbs.com/product/7653/FC13-4T213C.html http://www.greenelectricalsupply.com/14-watt-candelabra-base-cfl-warm-white-3000k.aspx As always, no endorsement is intended; these links are strictly for your information. Here is a link that might be useful: TCP candelabra base 13 watt CF
    ...See More

Is my DH an insensitive @$$? Or am I?

Q

Comments (41)
    Not at all FD. I think we actually agree. I'm just saying I'd respect my spouses needs regarding the house. As he would of my wishes. I wrote "Of course, there is the extreme of that situation where a spouse could arbitrarily say "no" but that would suggest something bigger is going on than just someone coming over. Finding out what the root of the issue is would be top priority at that point" That's an arbitrary No. Which could mean control issues, as you put it, which would require a deeper examination of where a person is in their relationship. My dh and I, other than the agreement about our exes, do not often say we do not want someone coming over. But it does happen on occasion. There can be things going on, someone can be tired, etc. In that case I think it's completely reasonable not to have guests over. We do it with our kids (no, Sally can't come over...) why can't we extend the same respect to our spouses? (of course, barring arbitrary no and perceived or real control issues) First you wrote...""If the reason you do not want her there would be that you don't like her, then it would be overeacting on your part."" I disagreed. Next you wrote..."if let's say one spouse doesn't like the other spouse's sibling or parents (just doesn't like them, no reason) it is not good enough reason to ban from the house. you have to agree just not liking someone isn't good enough reason." And then you wrote..."BUT saying that if it is EXSPOUSE who is invited over then of course new spouse has rights to say "no". Even if that person is not insulting." Yes, not liking someone is a good enough reason, if they have a valid point. Which would be something that would have to be decided within the context of the individual relationship.
    ...See More

Paint Examples for DH's Bathroom. I Hate Paint :(

Q

Comments (4)
    Some more discussion on the houzz side. Sorry this thread is all over the place :( [https://www.houzz.com/discussions/paint-examples-for-dhs-bathroom-i-hate-paint-dsvw-vd~3235154[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/paint-examples-for-dhs-bathroom-i-hate-paint-dsvw-vd~3235154)
    ...See More
  • 14 years ago

Thanks everyone for your opinions and honesty. We spoke with the electrician this morning and if we can put recessed in we will probably do 2 more cans over the table and just cap where the fixture is. I had the hardest time finding something I loved and at this point, I think recessed is just the way to go (my original plan but was persuaded the other way by DH, electrician and lighting store). I wish I had listened to my gut.. oh well. If somewhere down the road we find something we like we can put it between the recessed..

Thanks again!

• 14 years ago

It IS a great fixture -- don't be too quick to try to return it. You love it an it is a design element you wanted. Look to see if there is a different way to use it. If you can't turn it, would the size work to switch the fixture with the pendants over the island? Then it would still be part of that area, but used differently. There might be a different part of your home where you wouldn't have initially thought to put it but where you will love it. It could be over a different table, a desk, a vanity -- something unexpected and even more special. Think about it for a while -- the right answer will come to you.

• 14 years ago

Put me on board with redroze, ccoombs, starboard, and your DH. That lighting fixture is, imho, boxy and intrusive in that space. Your dining room fixture, however, is first class.

• 14 years ago

Yes, husbands are aplenty, but as they say, "a good man is hard to find". So if you have a GOOD MAN, and I'm assuming you do, then lose the fixture!! Basically lose the battle but win the war. I actually think your husband is right. I love the fixture and have something similar in my dining room, but I don't like how yours competes with the pendants from the end of the island, and how it hangs down in the sight line. I think the recessed light would be a better choice given all the dynamics. Good luck!! PS your kids are cute!

• 14 years ago

oh gilly...yuck yuck yuck....honey don't give up this easily. Recessed pot lights over a diner table? yuck yuck yuck...really, it will cost you in the long run. Find another option, like those gorgeous glass ones posted above, but don't go with pot lights over the table. Youur room calls for better attention than that!

• 14 years ago

Gilly, you've done a great job, don't let that builer/electrians comments get you down. It's a very smart looking piece.

So sorry to hear about the sealer, I hope that works out. Bill gave me great advise too but even with his advise, after I bought the Miracle 511 I still called the manufacturer first to be sure I had the right product and applied it correctly. Hang in there, you're doing all you can do to make it right and after you move in all these hassles will be a faint memory.

• 14 years ago

Thanks again... We might not actually be able to add recessed lights now.. UGH.... I know everyone mentioned glass, but what I keep going towards shades.. If recessed doesn't work, what do you think about this pendant? (sorry for the link, can't figure out how to upload the image to photobucket- can anyone help with that one?)

Here is a link that might be useful: Restoration Hardware Pendant

• 14 years ago

Thanks again... We might not actually be able to add recessed lights now.. UGH.... I know everyone mentioned glass, but what I keep going towards shades.. If recessed doesn't work, what do you think about this pendant? (sorry for the link, can't figure out how to upload the image to photobucket- can anyone help with that one?)

Here is a link that might be useful: Restoration Hardware Pendant

• 14 years ago

Now that you've posted the photos of the fixtures in place I see what redroze et al are saying. I like the fixture a lot too, but in this case I think I would go for something airy and less solid, that you can see through and around. Your children are such cuties!

• 14 years ago

It's the same thing as the previous one, but 2/3 the size.

I feel your pain. I absolutely abhor shopping for lighting. I ended up loving everything we bought, but the process ... ugh.

• 14 years ago

Actually, that boxy light would work if it were at the end of a room, against a wall. Any place like that where you could use it, where you wouldn't have to look past it but could look AT it? In and of itself, it's handsome, just not hanging in the middle of a long room, competing with the other design elements and interrupting the line of sight.

• 14 years ago

What about putting two of the same pendant lights as you have in your kitchen over the table? At least everything would tie together that way. The attention should be on the kitchen, but I think any large light fixture you put there will be too much of a visual distraction to see past it to the kitchen. If the pendants match though, I think the visual flow would ge perfect.

• 14 years ago

Tell him to keep his eyes lowered and his mouth shut. You are SWMBO!

• 14 years ago

Your house is looking fantastic! I love the two tones in the kitchen.

I think that the Restoration Light is really neat, but I would be concerned about the sight line too.

Have you thought about a couple of clear pendants? Pottery Barn has some neat lights. This is one of them called Calhoun

• 14 years ago

Ugh...I hate causing doubt in you. But would hate myself more if I didn't give you my honest opinion and keep you from avoiding a potential regret later on. (I always appreciate when people do that for me!) If recessed lights aren't an option, or too boring for you, what about a flushmount? You could still do the drum shade, just higher out of the sightlines (there's that s word again). These are just ideas, but something
    like this.

Or this.

• 14 years ago

Don't feel bad about causing doubt.. I like honesty!!! So thank you for that.. And thank you for sending me the fixtures.. I had never seen that site before -Union. I actually found a light I like that could work b/c it only hangs 18" And it is a pendant- We have 9' ceilings so I think that could work.. Below is the link. I really like it, but not sure if it will cause the same problems. and I need to find it in black or orb.

The upsetting part about all of this is... I changed my island pendants and did not get the ones that I LOVED and WANTED b/c i couldn't find a light for over my table that I liked in the same finish (or similar finish) which made me CRAZY.. Oh well.. everything happens for a reason...

Here is a link that might be useful: Ceiling Pendant

• 14 years ago

It's never too late to go back on a decision. I was also thinking those island pendants didn't look...for lack of a better word...special enough to go in your kitchen, as the cabinets look really rich. May I ask which island pendants you originallhy wanted?

I think that ceiling pendant would work really,really well and suggest that you'd hang it high up with less chain. Union Lighting's a store in Canada, but you can phone them to get the manufacturer of that light and see if they have it available in your area, and in the finish you need(I'm assuming you live in the US?) Any particular reason why you wouldn't do a silver finish for your kitchen lighting? I think it would work as your hardware seems to be silver, and you obviously like silver since you used it in your dining room.

• 14 years ago

Ahhh... I wanted either the Hundi Lantern from Pottery Barn

http://www.potterybarn.com/products/hundi-lantern/?pkey=cpendants

or something similar to these Clemson Pendants from Restoration Hardware linked below.

The island lights I ended up going with were kind of a last ditch effort b/c I was getting so frustrated. And I was kind of feeling like I wanted the chimney hood and typhoon bordeaux/black stained island to be the focal points in the kitchen.. Unfortunately, i wasn't thinking about the fact that the granite is only seen from a horizontal view- so more exciting lighting would have most likely brought one's eye down to the countertop..

One thing DH kept saying over and over to me when I was so frustrated about picking out lighting, was "they are just lights, we can always replace them"

I reminded him of that today, unfortunately, the money tree has shaken it's last leaf with this house so I am afraid we are going to be living with what we have for quite some time..

Here is a link that might be useful: Clemson Pendant

• 14 years ago

Redroze- You asked why i wouldn't do the chrome fixture in the kitchen.. if we can't do recessed and NEED to pick a fixture, do you think it will look funny having brushed nickel hardware, stainless appliances, black island pendants and then the chrome fixture over the eating area? I suppose it is far enough from the island that it wouldn't really matter and might help separate the kitchen from the eating area? or do you think it is just a NON-issue?

• 14 years ago

Um, don't sweat it gillylily. Your DH is right - you can always switch them later!! When I was in the midst of our kitchen reno, I was sweating the budget. Now that we're way past it, we've got more money in the bank and I'm in the mode for spending. So i should be sensitive to the fact that you have a lot of expenses right now. Live with them now, change them later!

• 14 years ago

As for your second question...your hardware is stainless. Hmmm. I consider the stainless appliances negligible as everyone has them but they do different finishes on the hardware (orb, chrome, pol nickel, etc). Your faucet appears to be chrome, am I right?

So my advice is, all of your lighting in the adjoining rooms should be the same finish. They don't have to be ss like your hardware, but they do have to be the same as each other. If you have to live with the orb island lighting for now, no problem, because it relates to your dark island. But in future, I would make all of your light fixtures unified in the metal finish.

• 14 years ago

What do you all think about this fixture for over my table and to look good with the current island fixtures?

• 14 years ago

I will just link the light- still can't seem to post pictures not in my photobucket account...

Here is a link that might be useful: Let's try again

• 14 years ago

BUMP????

• 14 years ago

Sorry, just seeing this now! I like it and think it will work well. It will keep out of view, plus the glass will make it feel more airy. Assuming you'd get it in bronze to match your island pendants?

• 14 years ago

Thank you Redroze- It is only backup if we can't add any recessed lighting. Once we are in the house and our furniture is all situated, I will have a better feel for lighting.. Who knows, when the money tree grows back we might be able to get the fixtures I wanted all along all around the kitchen!!

Thanks for all of your feedback!

• 14 years ago

You're welcome! ;-)

• 14 years ago

What do you all think about this light? Different affordable, SHORT but could still give a pop in the room?

Here is a link that might be useful: New Light fixture

• 14 years ago

Gillylily, I love your chandelier in the dining room but it looks like they only offer it in silver or bronze. Yours looks like it might be brass ...is this so?

I've been looking to update ours in the dining room for some time but I think I need to go with gold tones.

Tracy

• 14 years ago

Tracy- you are talking about the Restoration Hardware chandelier? That does only come in Polished Chrome or a Dark bronze. I love that light too. Wish i had bought it in dark bronze b/c i could have flo-flopped it with my kitchen fixture in question.. :(.. Good luck with your search. I am having a heck of a time with finding the right kitchen pendant!

• 14 years ago

I was watching HGTV's Dream Home show yesterday and I swear they have the same original light that you have in their dining room. I saw it and immediately thought of this thread!

• 14 years ago

Oh, dear! Just checking back in and we're still looking for fixtures? I don't like the last one. It looks like a midieaval torture device!

I'm not tracking the other considerations well (need more sleep), but your other choices look reasonable. I really liked your first piece.

Can't you wait until your furniture is in to change it? I think it'll look great, and much less obtrustive to you know who, when there's furniture.

Meantime if you have a picture posted elsewhere that you want to post here, it's pretty easy. You can copy the URL by putting the mouse pointer over the picture, right clicking, and choosing "copy image location" from the context menu. Then type the following into your message, replacing the red parts with your info, pasting in the URL and giving your own alternate description (it's an image so you can't cut and paste from this, but you could type it into a scrap and cut and paste from that):

• 14 years ago

Ok.. This is the VERY first light I wanted but thought it would get lost with the 9ft ceilings. I feel like it resembles the other light enough that both DH and I will be happy! Now seeing it again after everything is done, it might work... What do you think? This is a never ending saga!!!!!
    Thanks to all for your suggestions/comments!

{{gwi:1588568}}

Thanks Plllog!!! THat is the 1st time I have been successful at that!!

• 14 years ago

I like it! Compromise is good for marriages. ;-) Yeah, it might be a bit "off" being higher than optimal, but the man's gotta see the TV!! And it's even better looking than your first one top of topic.

It looks shorter across the longways though. Is it big enough?

• 14 years ago

I that light you just posted. I think it would be a great compromise!

• 14 years ago

I meant I like that light! It's really smart looking!

• 14 years ago

Thank you!! I think it will work... It is 22" wide.. Do you think that is large enough? The other light was 12½" w x 40" l x 57" h. This one is 121/2 w x 22 l x 23 h...

• 14 years ago

Does anyone have the ability to photoshop the last fixture into my kitchen somehow? My reason for asking is the fixture is non-returnable -we just found out the ETHAN allen fixture above is also non-returnable so i am trying to sell it on ebay or craigslist.. So before I spend more $$, as well as to avoid further disagreements btwn my dh and myself, i was wondering if anyone is able to do that???
    Thanks in advance for your help!

• 14 years ago

OK check out this website hubbardtonforge.com - They have nice quality items similar to some of what you have shown us; many of their lighting fixtures can be seen in lighting stores - so you can get a look before you buy.
    I had the hardest time finding a light for our entry. I must have looked at thousands of lights on line and in the stores. I could not find anything that resonated with me. Finally one day I saw the fixture hanging in a furniture store and it was clearly - and most definately the one. You'll find the right fixture, and if you don't, it's not like you have to live with it forever.

• 14 years ago

Rats! Gillylily, at about half the length I don't think the original fixture will have the oomph. I can cut and paste pictures, but getting the angle and scale right is above my skills level.

Since it's non-returnable, is there anyway the man is going to learn to love it?

Is there any way you could just raise it? If the shafts that hang down are tubes rather than being welded to the canopy, it should be pretty easy to disassemble and shorten them and the wiring.

• 14 years ago

Thanks Lucy and Pllog- The lights above my island are from HF- I had them made b/c I couldn't find any other pendants that I liked with the fixture over the table.. figures right? I think what I may do is just have the elec. capped and make a decision after we move in and furniture is in place.. Not exactly what my dh wants- he is afraid we will never get the electrician back to fix (b/c there are no other electricians out there--right...).

I had another idea after visiting our local sushi restaurant tonight.. maybe some sort of track lighting? I just don't know anymore. I am kind of getting sick of looking at lights and thinking about it. I found THE light I want but it is in the wrong finish (polished chrome) and it would have matched the island pendants I wanted but didn't get b/c they didn't match the table fixture.. Oh the drama.. LOL.. the wine is going down nice and smooth!!!

• 14 years ago

I can't photoshop it for you, but what I did in a similar situation was print out and then make a reduce/enlarge copy of the photo of the light fixture I was considering and lay it on top of the elevation drawing of our kitchen since that was what I had at the time.

The two small fixtures you linked look like hallway fixtures to me, and I would be afraid they would look out of scale with your table and dining area. I really like the last fixture you posted too, but it would look strange to me to be too high over the table.

If it were me, I would wait until you get into the house, get furniture in place and then see how much the TV is blocked. The bigger issue for me is the sight line back towards the kitchen. I would still want to look at whether you could turn it 90 degrees so that you only have the 12 inches and not the 40 blocking that view both ways. It might also be far enough to the right of the TV not to block it. Maybe DH can love it that way?

Just take your time -- you have lighting and it's past the point of having the walls open and not having to fix sheetrock or paint if you move something. I'm sure there are other things (like a move) that are more pressing. You'll get it worked out and it won't be the first time someone has moved in a house with something that didn't work perfectly. ;-)

• 14 years ago

Don't take down the fixture without putting something better in.

I'm sorry, but this is getting unreasonable.

Keep the fixture as is, where it is, and put $200 right now into a very safe place (of the Grandma's cookie jar sort, but not where it can go astray while moving, like deducting the amount from your check register but leaving it in the bank). Tell him you have electrician money salted away and in the meantime you're doing nothing about it until the furniture is in. In fact, let the man live with it for a couple of months. If he still cares after that, you can always address the issue again.

With all you have on your plate with finishing the house and moving the last thing you need is to be in this much of an uproar over a single, beautiful, light fixture.

• 14 years ago

It sounds like you are stressing about this decision. I agree with the others - since you can't return it, live with it and decide later what you want to do, when you have more money in the bank and are overall feeling less stressed and emotional. It's only a light...be happy to have your home.

Gillylily - keep your chin up!

• 14 years ago

Thanks AGAIN for all of your support. I think I will most likely just live with it (or w/o it if I can sell it) but with no fixture in it's place until I find THE one..

OK.. one more shot.. What do you think if i had a chandelier- maybe 3-5 lights just black with the candles? I saw one at IKEA for $49.00.

• 14 years ago

After all that effort to coordinate the pendants? I know you want to get it checked off of your to do list, but just throwing any old cheap chandelier isn't going to do anything but make you resent losing the one you had.

• 14 years ago

We're all there with you because choosing lighting is hard, and we've been in the same place!

You don't want a fixture so small, or so high the proportion looks off. One thing that we did was to build a cardboard mock up and actually hang it in place to get a sense of the size we wanted.

Getting a fixture that you can look through may work or you suggested track lighting. The thread is gettng so long I can't remember if you considered repeating the pendant lights. I just went back and looked at the original lights. Part of what is bothersome, in addition to the sight line, is the color variation in the shade, the pendant being whitish and the other fixture having a more yellowish cast.

It's funny, you are going throught the same options that I did with the entry saga. First I looked at a zillion lights, then I considered can only, then track, finally I had decided to wait and put in nothing when by serendipity I found one .

You will find the right fixture. Take a deep breath. It seems like a huge decision, but given how much you have already likely spent at this point it is really minute. You have already paid to have it installed, so live with it a bit since there is no obviously better choice right now.

Don't forget to show us pictures of the finished product!!

• 14 years ago

I agree with the others and live with it for a few weeks/months.
    And another thought: Although I am not sure about your other elements, could you switch the DR chandelier with the fixture in question? That may look very nice because it is very "airy". I think you mentionned this in one of the replies but thought the finish would not work. Since you cannot do a return, perhaps if you think the style and shape would work maybe you can exchange for the more suitable finish?
    Both fixtures are lovely.