SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
akastj_northern_ca

Combo Washer/Dryers - Part 8

akastj_northern_ca
19 years ago

Part 7 is nearing the 100 entry limit.

Please continue posting Combo Washer/Dryer information in this thread Part.

TJ

Here is a link that might be useful: Combo Washer/Dryers - Part 7

Comments (152)

• homeshore
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Also have information on condensing ventless dryers.

• chicagobent
    18 years ago

I'm back with a new Equator 3600CEE problem. My machine washes fine. When it switches to drying, sometimes, the tub does not tumble and sometimes it does. If I turn the power off and then put it back on again after it stops tumbling, it will usually start to tumble again. Sometimes it stops tumbling in mid drying cycle. The tumble action works fine with the washer. The heating element and pump are still working even while the tub does not spin. The problem is intermittent.

I checked the repair manual. The manual does not say anything about an intermittent problem. However, it does say to test the control board with an ohm meter (15 pins, if 1-7 are bad, it says to replace the dryer timer ($38 from equator), if 8-15 are bad, it says to replace the motor, if none of the pins are bad, it says to replace the control board ($145 from equator)). Pins one and six regulate tub agitation, but there were no loose wires there or by the thermostats or on the dryer timer. I don't have an ohm meter so I cannot test the control board.

So here's the deal, I'm not paying for a service call on this machine because it is almost six years old and I've already spent too much money on it. I'm thinking it can't be the motor because the same motor turns the tub during the wash cycle and that works fine. So it is either the control board or the dryer timer. I vaguely remember one of my prior repair guys saying there had been a high failure rate with the dryer timer, but usually when the machine is relatively new.

Has anybody else had this problem? Any recommendations would be appreciated.

I'm probably willing to pay the $38 for a new dryer timer and take a chance. It looks pretty easy to install myself (due to new found overconfidence after having replaced by thermostats earlier in the year). Now the question is how long will it take equator to get me the part. Maybe I'll call India later today.

Alternatively, I'm looking for any comments/reviews on the LG 3431 so I can avoid buying a new Merloni made product.

• Related Discussions

Review of LG3677HW (FL Combo Washer/Dryer)

Q

Comments (5)
    Hi Peter-- Thank you for your note. Yes, I have read about your experience--unfortunately, not until after I had already ordered my machine. (I was active on the Forum last fall, then decided to come back and post my review as one always wonders what happened to people and what they decided and how it worked out) It was then that I read your posts. What a nightmare, indeed! I am hoping that if I need service, Best Buy will come through for me. I chose Best Buy because I noticed that they had a lot of LG machines on the floor--washers, dryers, refrigerators. Using Laudry Forum advice, I asked the manager of large appliances: do you have experienced repair people for LG? He looked surprised and said: Yes, of course. LG is one of our biggest sellers and so we have a support system in place. That reassured me. I hope I don't rue my trust. In any case, I do hope that you find a good replacement machine. I did not respond to your post asking for suggestions because I don't have much to offer. I just know that I was going to go with Thor, but Thor, it seems, was even worse than LG; see my post last fall in the Combo Washer/Dryer thread. No response to my email, and when I actually called, they were annoyed and could never give me a single name of a single repairman. And I live in Chicago! Come on! The Askos scare me bec. of report of leaks from them. Equator seems kind of cheap. Maybe Bosch or Miele for you? MMK
    ...See More

LG Combo Washer Dryer Lint Build-Up

Q

Comments (29)
    Just incase others have a similar problem - I thought I was getting something similar to this problem. Clothes not drying properly however there seemed to be a lot of steam coming out of the drawer / tray. Turns out the cold water solenoid valve had died (the top left hand of the machine with the 3 blue tabs, just right to the red square part in the picture on the comment above) so water wasn't flowing into the condenser and then the steam wasn't being condensed - you could tell this was the problem since intermittently you should hear a sudden "whoosh" for a second or two every few minutes of the valve opening up and water flowing out. It did appear that less water was coming out the grey pipe on the back of the machine too, but this was because no extra water was coming into the system via the condenser. Anyway bought new cold water solenoid valve for £25, two screws off, 3 pipes on and off and it was fixed. Couldn't find much about this on the web - Just an idea.
    ...See More

Ariston Washer/Dryer combo - wrinkling problem

Q

Comments (18)
    > Fagor makes good machines too, but they need 220 lines They work better, or at least much faster, than any other W/D combo sold in the US for that reason - the powerful 2500 watt internal heater quickly heats the water during the wash cycle for better cleaning, than speeds drying (and reduces wear on clothes) by shortening the dry cycle because it can draw 2500 watts rather than only 1000 watts typical for drying on a 110 volt combo dryer. But Fagor is in financial trouble (bankrupt, with two companies that may or may not buy their assets and honour their warranties) They've pulled their laundry machines from their US website, though several seem to remain in the pipeline. LG is the only manufacturer with a large US presense selling combo W/Ds in America, and the only one selling oversize machines of the size now common in new washers and dryers, that can wash and dry a load almost as big as an old top-load washer could wash. But both their large and small combos are hobbled by 120 volt/15 amp electricals, which can only draw 1/4 of the power used by a standard American dryer and are thus dog-slow.
    ...See More

Does a combo washer-dryer work?

Q

Comments (50)
    "It's striking to realize the prosperity Americans take for granted." People in other countries have the same "prosperity" and sometimes more (depending on how you want to define it). Urban living is urban living. Many living in apartments in NY city have to make due with less space and less convenience than many urban dwellers in Europe. European washers and dryers (and by extension, Asian ones before they started making models for the US market). have long been smaller. With long cycles. They wash better while being more gentle on fabrics. A family member abroad has a ventless heat pump dryer. It uses the "refrigeration cycle", extracting "heat" from room temperature air. Think of your fridge or an air conditioner, both are heat pumps that act the same way, with a cold section while expelling hot air, the heat removed to produce the cold section. Using the same "refrigeration cycle", a ventless dryer produces heat AND cold. Direct the heat into the rotating drum where the clothes are, then flow the warmed damp air past a cold heat exchanger where the water in the damp warm air will condense and drip out. Like the water that condenses on the outside of a cold glass on a warm day. That's how they work. It's a slow process but such products use less energy than both gas and electric clothes dryer types in use in the US.
    ...See More
  • chicagobent
    18 years ago

OK, I ordered a new dryer timer from Equator early last week, gave them my credit card number, and was informed it was in stock and would be shipped the next day. I was expecting it this past friday or monday. Today is wednesday and no part....I call equator today and they cannot seem to find any record of my order. Total incompetence in my opinion.

Now, what kind of new combo should I get....I seem to be wavering between the Asko and the LG3431. My neighbors had a bad experience with the predecessor to the LG3431 and also service on their unit was slow. They ultimately (after more than one year) returned their machine to LG (after contacting the President of LG in Korea directly by e-mail) and are waiting for a refund check before they buy a new unit, which they told me will likely be another LG since they now know the service tech so well.

The LG3431 has generally received excellent reviews on epinions. However, it is expensive, I am a bit worried about service availability and the warranty is not so great. Also, there does not seem to be any local place to go and look at the LG3431 in Chicago. There is a local company who sells the machines and will deliver it directly into my unit and remove my old equator, but they do not have a storefront.

The Asko has generally received good reviews on epinions and the few bad reviews were from people who in my opinion had unrealistic expectations or did not understand how combo units work. A local store which sells the Asko and also sells Eurotech basically said many of their customers have had problems with the Eurotech, but that only two of their customers have had problems with the Asko, both of which were minor and easily fixed. They pointed out the Asko has a three year bumper to bumber warranty. It is made by Antonio Merloni Group, but that at least is different from Indesit which makes the Ariston combo.

I like the fact that the Asko has a four shock suspension system and four independent leveling legs because I live on the third floor of a 1921 building with hardwood floors and wooden joists. I am a bit worried about the 1400 rpm speed of the LG in my old building due to potential vibrations. The Equator has not been a problem every since I reinforced the floor, but the machine does not sit near an exterior wall and a much higher RPM may be more of a problem.

I called Asko to see who services their machines in my area and their customer service person said "you call us" and I said, "yes, but who do you call to come to my home in Chicago?" and they said "we have service in Chicago." I said I would like to know specifically who provides their service in Chicago and they told me they are not allowed to provide that information. I asked who will service the machine once the warranty has ended and they were equally obfuscatory. I do know of one reliable local repair service who told me they will service the Asko once it is out of warranty, but they do not do warranty work for Asko.

My final alternative is the $900 Ariston machine which is available from the very reliable ABT Electronics. ABT will service the machine and is local for me. My problem with the Ariston is that is seems to basically be the same machine as the Equator 3612 which had all the problems. ABT also sells the Eurotech, but I am a bit afraid of the Eurotech based on what I've read online and been told by another local store which sells both it and the Asko. Incidentally, that store does not charge much more for the Asko than for the Eurotech.

I do have both hot and cold water hookups and I don't want to rewire for 220 and have not had a problem with the drying power of a 110 machine, so the Supra machine is out for me.

The Malber seems ok, but there is only one local place which sells it (again, sight unseen because they do not have a storefront) and there are only two service reps for Malber in the entire Chicago area. Plus, it is my understanding that the Malber is essentially the same machine as the Equator 3600 I will be getting rid of.

OK, discuss, give me your thoughts, comments from actual owners of any of the above machines would be greatly appreciated.

• randombuddha2002_yahoo_com
    18 years ago

Hello everyone. I've read about half of this board and realized I'm in the right place. I just bought and moved into my first condo (i.e. I'm surrounded by boxes and furniture in the middle of each room) and it has a washer-dryer hook up, which is vented, and has both 220 and 110.

I'd like to buy a combo for the ease of one load every few days (as opposed to my old method in apartments, 6 loads every two weeks), and would prefer to find a model that uses 220 and is vented (since I've gleened from here that the condensor units take longer to dry AND therefore, use more electricity).

I'm glad to have read the links here, because, after the complaints about Haier all over the internet made me reconsider buying one from Lowes, I looked at Equator. One of the links while researching that lead me to this forum -- which has made me decide not to buy the Equator either.

Sooooo...given my parameters of 220/vented, and a desire not to spend more than I need to (I'm sure Siemens and other expensive manufacturers make some nice products that fit my parameters), what do people recommend?

After I run some errands, I'll research the "Supra" line so many people here seem to like, but since I do have a lot of unpacking to do (I need to find my silverware, and canned food, soon!) I'd like to ask the brain trust here for recommendations before I waste more time looking at bad brands like Haier and Equator.

-Lance-

• randombuddha
    18 years ago

OK, I've had time to read the rest of "part 8" on combo units. I realize there is one more criteria I'd like to pursue, in addition to finding the largest 220/vented combo unit that is reliable. And I'm beginning to make peace with spending more money to avoid the service problems many people seem to have had.

I have scalding hot water available here at my new condo, which my HOA goes to paying for. I now realize that some units actually require cold water to be put in, as opposed to hot water. Rather than pay to heat cold water, I'd be better off over the life of the washer to use the existing water provided here.

I've tried googling (and A9) "vented" "220" "combo" and "washer", but still have not found what I'm looking for. Does anyone know of any good appliance dealers in the Los Angeles area who might be able to help? Or any suggestions for a good unit, at any price, that is 220/vented and can use the existing hot water? (I'm assuming this requires a temperature taking device, instead of a timed heater for the water, which might be a little more expensive than a unit that just heats the water it gets for a set amount of time)

I can do laundry here for a while at the provided facilities, so I'm not obligated to rush to buy something. But as a new home owner, the idea of doing laundry in my own home one day is actually kind of exciting.

-Lance-

• chicagobent
    18 years ago

randombuddha,

Almost all combo units sold in the US have condensing dryers and use both hot and cold water. The only combo I know of which is 220 is the Supra. Similarly, the only combo I know of which uses only cold water is the Supra. I don't know of any that are both 220 and also vented.

My EQUATOR 3600CEE UPDATE:
    After my last post, Equator called me the next day (from India) and told me that they had in fact received my part order and that the part had in fact shipped two days earlier (they gave me a UPS tracking number). I received it today, about one week later than expected, but still only one and one half weeks after it was ordered. They also called me today to see if I had recieved the part (either they are reading this board or they are just following up because they could not previously find my order and they know it shipped later than promised.)

I installed the new dryer timer this evening (about 15 minutes total time to replace the dryer timer--anyone could do this repair on their own). My machine is now working like new, so I won't be buying a new machine. I was previously mistaken about the price, it was only $33 and not $38, plus $8 for shipping.....overall, my machine was much cheaper to repair than to replace.

I will say this about Equator, they are not perfect, but their customer service is not as bad as some of the posts would lead you to believe. Yes my machine has broken several times in the past six years, but only one of those breakdowns(the pump housing leak caused by bolts which corroded because they were not stainless steel--the new pump has stainless steel bolts, so this should not happen again) was an expensive repair--the rest were cheap, easily fixed and DIY (cleaning the impeller, replacing the thermostats and thermal fuse, and now replacing the dryer timer).

My machine is again working like new and I still think it is an engineering wonder when it works. I would have just bought a new machine rather than make another repair, but I hesitated because I'm not really sure that any new machine I would buy would be better than the one I already own.

Some people like combo machines and some people can't handle or don't understand their limitations/capabilities. I cannot speak about the quality of the new equator machines and clearly the company has had some problems in the past with customer service, but overall, they are making an effort to service their customers and do now seem able to supply replacement parts for their products even when those products are six years old.

• emerald7401
    18 years ago

I have a LG3274, portable with draining in bathtub. It runs real well, no problems. But I can wash white clothes and then a load of dark clothes and the dark are covered with lint. I have a puppy and it won't get rid of all the white puppy hair. Is that the way it's suppose to be? I, of course, clean the lint off the door and rubber gasket. I've cleaned the lint at the bottom of the washer/dryer, too. I just washed a black T-shirt three times trying to get rid of all the white hair.

Thanks!

• chicagobent
    18 years ago

Contrary to my prior post, my Equator is not working like new. It took only a few loads for the intermittent failure to spin during the dry cycle to reappear. The problem is getting worse with each additional load I wash and dry.

Thus, rather than pay several hundred dollars to fix the machine (I can't find a repair person I trust in Chicago who is willing to work on the machine), I am dumping my six year old Equator 3600cee "clothes processor."

Basically, there are only five brands of non-equator machines available to me: LG 3431, Asko WCAM1812, Eurotech, Malber and Ariston. (I require local delivery up the stairs and into my condo and a willingness to carry out my old machine-sorry internet vendors).

I am leary of the LG because my neighbors had a major problem with their machine, two major local vendors I trust no longer carry LG due to reliability problems with their laundry products, and the machine is not locally available for me to look at and kick the tires.

Malber is ok, but from what I understand it is basically the same machine as the one I am getting rid of (only with somewhat better customer support). However, again I cannot see the machine locally, can only purchase it from one local vendor on special order, and there are only two authorized repair places in Chicago, neither of which I have ever heard of before.

Eurotech has a bad reputation locally....one vendor has the product on "back order" but a sales person told me they were no longer carrying it due to what he believed unofficially to be "reliability and/or availability" problems. Another vender told me he sold 19 machines to a condo developer and 13 of them had been returned with problems. He also told me he had only one machine left and that once it is sold, they will no longer carry Eurotech.

That same vendor told me that the Asko had been reliable. However, I am skeptical since it is not only distributed, but also manufactured by the same company as Eurotech, Antonio Merloni Group and his AM Tech subsidiary. The machine also seemed somewhat plasticky and cheap and has not gotten good reviews on epinions-computer boards frying, delay in getting repairs, etc. I called them to find out who specifically in Chicago would fix my machine and they would not give me a specific name. Other garden web reports do not indicate good customer service.

That leaves Ariston. While some have bad-mouthed the brand generally and pointed out that it does not have a good reputation in Europe, I have not seen any bad posts by people who have actually owned one of their recent US product offerings. I have also not seen any bad posts about the brand's US products anywhere on the internet. (That said, I also have not seen any good posts.) A very reliable local store has been selling them for about a year now and their service people have told me that while there have been some repairs required, the machines are much more reliable than the Equators. I spoke to their local Ariston rep on the phone who told me the machine was much more evolved from my equator, that my current machine was made by Philco Italia which Indesit purchased after my machine was made, that the Philco Italia factories which made my current machine are no longer operating, and he essentially claimed that Indesit acquired a bad product line from Philco Italia and that the new products were independently developed and are more reliable. I cannot say if this is true, but the product I saw in the local store seemed to have very high build quality and a very reasonable price.

On thursday, my new Ariston AWD121 will be delivered. It cost $1,000 with sales tax, installation, delivery, removal of my old unit and a four year extended warranty provided directly by my local reliable store's service department (one of the larger and more reliable repair services in Chicago-ABT Electronics). The machine is not as large as the LG or the ASKO, but it is about the same size as my current Equator and I don't have a problem with that. I will most certainly report back once I have actually used it.

• chicagobent
    18 years ago

So far, I am very happy with my new Ariston AWD121. It seems to clean well, dry quickly, and spin without any noticable vibrations. The machine is much more solidly built than my equator and the drum suspension also seems to be better. Only time will tell if the machine is reliable. I have a four year bumper to bumper warranty, so if it does break, at least I won't have to pay for it for the first four years.

Happy washing!

• vuzl
    18 years ago

AMG_in_SF_Area,would you please update on your experience with 220 volt Supra? How long does it take to dry a full load?
    Thank you!

• richlin71
    18 years ago

Hi, I have an LG 3245RHD (http://www.lgwasherdryer.com/lg-productinfo.htm) that was working fine for the past 6 months or so. Now, I'm finding that it doesn't completely dry the load. The clothes are hot at the end of the cycle, but still very damp (not so much that they need to be wrung out, though). Any thoughts on what needs to happen?

• chicagobent
    18 years ago

Richlin71,

It is very possible that your impeller (aka blower motor) or condensing chamber is clogged with lint and other gunk. I have no experience with the LG models, so I can't provide any guidance on how to clean it. It does generally require opening up the machine, which you should not do yourself if the product is still under warranty lest you void the warranty.

Manufacturers state that you need to US low sudsing HE detergent because in theory it is less likely to cause mineral buildup on the impeller and in the condensing chamber which then acts as a magnet to attract the lint. My experience is that over time this will happen even with HE detergent. I suspect the fabric softener which most combo manufacturers recommend also contributes to this.

What I don't understand is why there is not a lint filter on all combos through which the hot air could be blown but which would prevent the lose lint, detergent and fabric softener particles form being blown back into and settling on the interior of the condensing chamber and the impeller. I'm not an engineer, but this is not really rocket science.

Happy New Year!

• cuffs054
    18 years ago

ChiBent, well said. That was one of the hangups about my Equator. I would think a lint filter would not be that hard to build in.

• vonst
    18 years ago

I just purchased and used for the first time an LG brand WM3277. It's great! I used it on my towels. It is way quieter than I imagined, even from the posts I saw here and other places.

Question: Can I use "dryer sheets" in a unit with a condenser?

• vonst
    18 years ago

Er... I should have said I bought a WM3677. And, per the suggestions of almost everyone on the forum, I got the extended warranty from Best Buy.

I understand that the 3677 (and 3632) are discontinued models. LG is supposed to be coming out with an upgrade. Has anyone heard about it?

• akastj_northern_ca
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Best to avoid dryer sheets under all circumstances, especially in a ventless unit. Use a good fabric softener in the dispenser instead...

TJ

• baja
    18 years ago

I have a 4-yr old LG WD-3243RHD which has been great, but recently the pump failed. I can't find anything else that could potentially be the problem - it labors but won't drain, and nothing is clogged (took it all apart!!).

Anybody know where I can get a replacement pump? I actually want to sell the machine anyway and install a stacking set. I'd sell the unit cheap (as-is) to somebody who has a pump; else I'm going to replace the pump and then sell it on Ebay.

Any help appreciated, thanks!

• jianster
    18 years ago

Can't make my mind on to buy the Supra or the Malber ventless unit? Any really huge differences between the 2? Have anyone heard about the service warrenty between the 2? Any help would be great to make up my mind.

Thanks

jd

• stumpie
    18 years ago

I am in the same boat as Jianster. We just sold our huge house out in the city to downsize to a tiny house in the country. The laundry room is sorely missed, and we don't have the space or amp for the conventional washer dryer set (which is sooooo much cheaper).

I too am torn between Supra and Malber. Malber is Italian, and seems to have slightly better reviews, but the customer service is out East (I'm upper Great Lakes area), so I'm concerned about getting reliable service help, if something horrible should take place (spouse is very mechanically inclined, so only slightly worried about small hiccups). Supra was originally Japanese, although they probably outsource now. They are slightly cheaper than Malber, but I haven't emailed for local service providers yet. Anyone have any experience or advice to share about these makes?

• amg_in_sf_area
    18 years ago

stumpie,

my supra says "made in italy" ... in the sf bay area, we have excellent supra support, which could be an issue elsewhere.

we're still getting used to our supra, which is one of the 220v. we're experimenting with detergents just now as my DH has developed a full body rash and the detergent could be a factor.

we have also just gotten back from Paris, where we became enamoured once again with towel warmers. but we've always gone to europe before in spring or fall and never realized how helpful a towel warmer can be with a combo w/d. to avoid perma-wrinkles, we've been hanging many of our clothes to final dry all over the garage/laundry area, but when our towel warmer is installed there, it will handle all our indoor non-dryer hanging needs...

malber was not an option for us. neither was the ariston, which had been our first choice. so we took the supra and are slowly learning to use it correctly.

~ Alexis

• vonst
    18 years ago

It hasn't been an issue for me yet wrt my LG, but in general how can one ask about "reliable service help" on any hardware anywhere else except in the exact city where you live? These companies won't send their service technicians from Italy to solve your problems, will they?

• amg_in_sf_area
    18 years ago

Hi vonst,
    I don't quite understand your question, but before I bought the Supra, I asked specifically about service technicians in my area because I had owned another brand previously for which I'd had considerable trouble finding local service. In other words, I made sure that my brand could be serviced locally before I put my money down, and I was quite pleased with the technician to whom I was referred to help me with the installation.
    ~ Alexis

• amg_in_sf_area
    18 years ago

vuzl,
    Sorry, I missed your post last month. Hope this info is still useful.

Since I work from a home office and laundry times are no issue for me, I often don't pay close attention to them, but the Supra definitely dries more efficiently than my old 1986 Indesit (110 not 220) ever did.

Drying time depends upon what the load consists of. Towels take longer than a load of white men's underwear, for example. Our towels probably take upwards of 60-90 minutes, depending on how many I dry simultaneously. My husband's cotton shirts and underwear take perhaps 45 to 60 minutes. We always hang our sheets and pillow cases on the line outdoors, so I have no info to share about those. We have not been using the 1200 rpm spin speed, only the 800 rpm, which may account for the longer drying times, but the 1200 rpm spin contributes to wrinkling.

We've had serious wrinkling with our mixed and "permanent press" loads and we're experimenting now with tips picked up in this forum. We cannot stand fabric softeners, so we've been using distilled white vinegar for softening from the start. Without vinegar the clothes tend to wrinkle even more heavily. We've learned to dry perma press items only 2/3 of the way, after 30 - 45 min. on the low temp, then we hang them to finish drying. We're installing a European style towel warmer tomorrow in the laundry area which will double as an indoor clothes line, and we're pretty excited. The laundry room is adjacent the bathroom, and the towel warmer will add an economical option for indoor drying in less time than is currently possible and may even help with the wrinkle problem.

I have just ordered some "fabric softening dryer balls," which we hope will help with the wrinkling issues. I'll share the results as soon as I receive them and put them to use.

I have come to believe that our detergent, All Free and Clear, may be causing part of the wrinkling problem and may also have something to do with the fact that our clothes don't sparkle to the degree that many here have remarked upon. However, we love our little Supra and have high hopes... I popped for some Persil and some Ecovantage today and will be experimenting with them as soon as they arrive.

TJ,
    I found a tiny bag of Ariel OxyAzul yesterday at the Indian market next to Smart & Final in San Pablo, but I'll need to wait until my DH's rash clears up to experiment with it. We don't like scented detergents as a rule, but that one smells as wonderful as you have said and I think it will be great for non-clothing laundry like dishtowels and bathroom mats.

Hope this isn't what my grown kids call Too Much Information :-)

~ Alexis

• tigerlily858
    18 years ago

I'm moving into a condo in a couple weeks, and want to purchase a washer/dryer. The laundry hook-ups are in a closet that's only 24" deep, so all I can find that would fit is the Malber WD1000 or the Thor washer/dryer. I see references to the Malber on this list, but not the Thor. Does anyone have experience with it, or know of another brand that I should consider? I need something that's ventless, electric, and 110v.

BTW, I was interested in the Supra but the only place I could find it was at CompactAppliance.com and they won't deliver upstairs without an elevator, so I guess I'm outa luck.

• traciduncan
    18 years ago

Does anyone have the ASKO WCAM1812 and like it?

-Traci

• funinthesun
    18 years ago

I have been following this forum since Nov '05 and have read both Parts 7 and 8. Almost 7 years ago I purchased an Equator 3600CEE and was one of the "lucky ones" to get a machine that would be considered a "great machine" compared to what I've been reading about it. After 5 years of use, I had to have a service call to replace the water pump and provide general maintenance (about $350.00); 3 months ago, the machine stopped "drying" my clothes (the machine never completely dried a load, but I was ok with that). It was then that I found out that the only service company for Equators in my area was no longer servicing them because the parts were almost impossible to get and it just wasn't worth the aggravation. I went online to look for help and discovered this forum. Since that time I have done an incredible amount of online research only to come to the conclusion that there really isn't a washer/dryer combo being manufactured today that's truly worth the cost. Maybe I'm being idealistic, but I believe that if I'm spending a $1000.00 plus dollars on a single appliance, I expect it to work problem-free for at least 5 years and last up to 10 years relatively problem-free. Oh, well, such may not be the case so I find myself in the situation of either servicing my existing unit again or buying a new unit. Because I, too, have space problems, I'm pretty much locked into the combo or a small stackable. My laundry area is basically a linen closet with water hook-ups, a 110v outlet, and no venting although venting and outlet modifications may be an option. Of all the combos I have researched, I have found relatively little consumer information on the Asko WCAM1812, the Thor WD9900, and the Ariston AWD121 so I'm considering these machines. I'm also considering Thor's APEX Stackable Washer and Ventless Dryer. Any input would be most appreciated in regards to any of these machines.

• mentalv
    18 years ago

Just finished reading both section 7 and 8 of this thread. For what I read I cant get an idea of what is the recommended model now.

As of February 06 what is actually considered THE best combo and the best stackable units?

I was VERY interested on the Thor model but I see that not many people have them and althought they dont seem to fail they dont have many people that service them.

I would rather have a separate drier and washer as I can do both things separate. I like that idea. Also I must get a ventless. 110/220 is no difference as I will be remodeling my kitchen and I can run either of them to the laundry location. Price is ok, I dont mind spending up to $1600 if it will be quality, dries good and has service in South FL- USA.

Any solid recomendations would be HIGHLY appreciated!

• amg_in_sf_area
    18 years ago

Hello everyone!

As promised, here's an update on my combo experiences:

I called my Supra dealer about the high drying temp on our machine and he suggested that I use the high temp for only 30-40 minutes to avoid scorching the clothes, which I have tried with great success.

After only 35 minutes on the higher drying temp, my husband's cotton dress shirts came out almost wrinkle-free using 1tsp of soap, 1/2c white vinegar and four dryer balls. The thicker cottons in that load I left in the lower temp drying cycle for an additional few minutes.

For those who can't use fabric softeners, the dryer balls really do seem to fluff clothes and help with the wrinkling problem. I bought 4 round ones initially. Two "collapsed" right away in the high temp on my Supra, but the other two round ones have held up fine. I read elsewhere that using 4 balls simultaneously worked better, so I purchased a couple of additional balls, this time the oblong kind made by Nellie's Laundry. I've used these several times with excellent results. The balls seem rather noisy when you first start drying a load, but after very few minutes of drying, the clothes get lifted and fluffed and the noise abates.

For those interested in dyer efficiency, the balls cut the drying times significantly in our combo. As I mentioned above, light cottons now get as dry as we want them to get in 30-35 minutes. Heavier cottons, like towels and knit underwear, take 45-60 minutes, but this is still much better than I ever expected based on some posts here which report drying times of up to 2 hours for towels and such. I realize however that our load sizes may be smaller than some folks' but I'm generally pleased with the performance of the dryer balls. I should probably add that after the first two balls collapsed, I stopped putting the dryer balls through the wash cycle as a precaution. Now I add them when the drying cycle starts. Since I work from home, I don't mind the two-step process at all.

I'm still undecided about a favorite laundry detergent. I like the Persil, which really doesn't leave much if any residual scent in the clothes after washing. I also like the EcoVantage, which is entirely scentless. Both products give me cleaner, fresher clothes than the Free and Clear did, and my husband's rash is much better, at least in part due to these superior detergents. The liquid Persil Gel I really don't care for and will probably relegate to the top shelf unless I need a stain remover. The Gel odor is overpowering and does not rinse out entirely like the powder does.

Hope this info is useful...

• blogshine
    18 years ago

Supra/Edgestar 220v combo: I took a chance and got this unit after years of stack units. I love it! Good for condos. Cleans circles around the stack units I had. 45 min wash/1-2 hour dry and I'm out the door. Sounds like a Ferrari when the spin cycle starts! Whirrr... Remember to keep water on thru entire cycle..dry cycle uses it.

• Sheri
    18 years ago

I've been looking for an Edgestar/Supra but I'm having a hard time finding one. I'm interested because I'm also in the Bay Area and amg (thank you for all your follow-ups!) has had good experiences with the customer service.

I was originally considering one of the LGs. We have a guest cottage with no laundry, and our only option right now is to provide a combo unit that's portable (like a portable dishwasher, that can be hooked up to the sink). I know we want something that has an internal water heater.

I talked to LG customer service today, and they told me that the units tend to "walk" because of the vibration, and that it has to be absolutely level.

Anyone have portable experience with the newer LG models? The Supra?

• funinthesun
    18 years ago

For those of you still looking for laundry center solutions and reviews, Consumer Reports has just published a new review this month (I subscribe to their online reviews at $26.00/year...I've included the URL below for those interested in joining). The review is very detailed and includes a review for machines for small spaces. There's too much detail to provide here, however, their recommendations are the Miehle Touchtronic W1113 and the Asko W6021. These two machines are washers only...haven't found anything yet on the washer/dryer combos but will continue to look. Hope this helps someone.

• blogshine
    18 years ago

Just learned that Supra/Edgestar discontinued the 220 v ventless for a 110 v vented model..supposed to dry faster. I'll take the ventless anyday..I think they blew it here1

• compact
    18 years ago

The above is not an accurate statement.

EdgeStar is still manufacturing three combination washer dryers:

110V Nonvented
    110V Vented
    220V Nonvented

• bsacks
    17 years ago

I am looking for a combo as a 2nd laundry in my house. It is meant to wash delicates/silk/wool mostly, although I will do some regular wash/dry loads as well. I have venting access. I was considering the LG 3431, but have also checked out the Supras online. In the pictures I can't see what cycles the Supra offers. I need a machine that will do a good job with various fabrics such as wool, delicates, etc. If I go with the Supra, is a vented 110V going to dry significantly better than the ventless 220V? Any other suggestions?

• milktoast
    17 years ago

i have an LG WM3677HW that has worked great for a year... recently the unit started to generate a strong chemical smell during the dry cycle that makes the laundry smell a little foul... i clean the catch screen behind the access door on the front of the unit regularly... any ideas to share?

• peteski50
    17 years ago

Hi Milktoast,
    I have the same combo for 2 years. The only problem I have had is the door has leaked twice. The last time it took me 9 days to get service. My biggest complaint about the machine is the service. Nobody wants to fix LG. Did you call for the service I am curious how long it will take you to get the service.
    Good Luck
    Peter

• mmk1964
    17 years ago

Hello all--

I have read through the posts of part 8 and 7 to help make my buying decision, and there is so much info/different opinions about the same products, I'm at a loss for what to do. I'm hoping that since some time has elapsed since the start of part 7 that some machines and/or customer service departments have improved, and that more people have experience with the machines I'm interested in.

Here are the particulars:

I live in a condo. Must have a ventless machine. Said machine cannot be more than 26" as the smallest dimension. Purchase price is not an issue, but I would like the machine to be reliable. Also, not too noisy from vibrations, as my machine will be facing the wall of my (nice) neighbor's bedroom. The machine will go into a walk-in closet that has hardwood floors. Ideally I would like to be able to launder a comforter; at the very least I would like to be able to launder a set of king-sized sheets at a time.

I am considering the Thor Apex because it has two dryers, which is appealing, esp. since it seems condenser dryers take a long time to dry. I am also attracted to LG, because of the "sanitizer" feature. Any opinions will be sincerely appreciated.

Thanks much--

• mmk1964
    17 years ago

This is a continuation of the above post; I thought I'd report back on my progress so far.

I really wanted things to work out with the Thor, but I don't think it is meant to be. As often suggested on this site, I emailed the manufacturer (in this case,Thor) and asked them for the names and numbers of three service people, and they never emailed me back. Then I called them. The man who answered the phone (I forget his name) knew who I was (from the email) and sounded annoyed that I called. He told me he was "working on" getting me a number. Apparently there is only one (!) service person for the entire Chicago area! I was appalled. I had to ask: what happens if that guy moves? or goes into another business? The man told me that presumably they would find another service person. Presumably so! Sigh.

What I'm thinking is, if this is the way Thor acts with someone who says: I researched your machine, I want to buy your machine, please give me three names of service providers so I can buy your machine, and they can't even provide me ONE in a timely and pleasant/professional manner, what is going to happen if/when I have actually bought the thing and need some kind of help?

So Thor is off the list. I am now looking into options suggested by chicagobent, i.e. the Ariston model and also Miele and Bosch, which are all available locally. Will report back on my findings.

Many thanks to chicagobent, who has been most helpful--

• jianster
    17 years ago

After reading this forum and talking to the Supra technician(pretty knowledgeable guy), I have decided on the Supra 5wsl30d 110volt ventless. I think they changed the name to Edgestar now. Everything works fine and it's a great product EXCEPT, the water pump quits pumping water in the dry cycle after a while and you get really damp cloth. I didn't have a problem for the first couple of month, but one day my cloth was really damp after a hour of drying. I replaced the pump once already by calling the service center. It worked for another few weeks before the same problem occured. The service guy seems to think I just got 2 bad water pumps, I was just wondering if anyone has had this particular problem with their Supra washer/dryer??? Please send me an email at jianster@hotmail.com and let me know if you had the similar problem.

• shannonlab_gmail_com
    17 years ago

My supra washer/dryer combo is not working right. It started out making screechy noises on and off during the dry cycle. This got worse, and now it is not heating at all. It is also screeching/grinding on and off during the wash spin cycles. Any idea what's wrong?

• cuffs054
    17 years ago

Shannon, I'm betting that the dryer blower has come loose or the "squrrel cage" is loose on shaft. Most of these units start the blower in the final spin. If the washer is pumping correctly, I'd look at the blower.

• nismo2005
    17 years ago

I have a full washer and dryer in my basement but due to chronic ankle arthritis, dealing with those basement steps are getting to be a real pain (pun intended).

I thought I found my answer in here by getting one of these 110 volt ventless combos and putting it on the first floor.

Now I am not so sure due to one thing that I read in here about how the condensing dryer works.

Is it true that the dryer has to have cold water running through it the entire 2 to 3 hour dry time?

I have not seen any posts that address this but my house is on a Well and Septic.
    Pumping water for 3 hours everytime I do a load of laundry into the septic system will reak havoc on the dry well.

Septic's and their Dry well's are designed for short peaks of water flow because the water has to perc into the soil.

Thanks for any insight folks can give on the water use.

• chicagobent
    17 years ago

Nismo,

I am not so familiar with well and septic systems being that I live in Chicago. However, I can tell you that in all combo machines with condensing dryers, the cold water supply and pump cycle on and off periodically throughout the dry cycle. The water does not run constantly at full force for three hours. Generally, most combo machines use somewhere between 14 to 20 gallons of water per load for both wash and dry (comparable to a standard dishwasher). In contrast, a standard topload washing machine by itself typically uses 40 to 50 gallons of water per load. If your septic supports a standard topload washer, it should easily be able to handle a combo machine. Moreover, you will be using much less detergent in a front load combo machine which is also better from an environmental standpoint. The manufacturer specifications usually state how much water the machine will use per load on average.

I hope that answers some of your questions. Happy washing.

• nismo2005
    17 years ago

Thank you for that info.

I had a notion that the condensation dryer needed a constant flow of cold water during the entire dry cycle in order for it to work properly.

I see that I was wrong.

The Asko 1812 that I am looking at buying says it uses 20 gallons of water but the specs were not clear on whether that was just the wash cycle or the grand total.

From your response, I see that the 20 gallons is a total including the water used for the dryer.
    That does sound like an oxymoron

I will post back what my experience is with this Asko as I am sure folks would like to know.

• larry518
    17 years ago

Isn't it time for this thread to begin Part 9? There are 157 posts in what is normally a 100 post limit.

Seems to me the combo washer/dryer marketplace has evolved considerably since this thread began and deserves updated discussion.

Just thinkin' out loud. I'm a newbie and would not dare do such a thing without checking with long time users.

• wondered
    17 years ago

Need help from gurus!

This forum has such a wealth of info! How about an at-a-glance "cheat sheet" post that lists the names of the companies that manufacture various brandnames?

For example, "Indesit manufactures the following: [list names].

And so on....

Maybe it's just me, but I have a hard time keeping track of all of the names, as I jump around the various comments, trying to figure out which ones to stay away from, and which ones to consider.

Thanks for any help.

• bcheung99
    17 years ago

Many thanks to the people who contribute to this forum I have learned alot and purchased the LG WM3431 based on my research here and other places. It has performed very well for the past 8 months but now it has stopped drying. The machine will tumble the clothes and get warm but the clothes still come out wet. I called for service since it was under warranty and all they did was replace the computer board. That has not fixed the problem. I suspect it is lint (as many here has had that problem) clogged somewhere that is causing it not to dry. I have checked the lint trap and looked at the blower but I can't find the clog. Does anyone know where the lint clog could be that has caused the dryer to stop working? Or any other theories as to why the dryer has stopped working?

• peteski50
    17 years ago

Bcheung - LG is basically a service nightmare. I posted in another posting on my problems. Such a lack of service people.
    I feel they make high quality product but the service is below poor beyond belief. I am still awaiting for my unit to get repaired. This will be the fourth time a fix will be made for a door leak.
    Best Of Luck
    Peter

• lmaupin_geo_yahoo_com
    16 years ago

here is a supra manual an dparts list

http://www.compactappliance.com/ownersmanuals/supra/SW5L50Dservicemanual.pdf

the number at the end works also

• eurodivecar_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

When we bought our RV in 2004 it came with a Splendide Washer/dryer combo. I have been using it for 6 years and this year, while doing a wash IT QUIT. After calling the dealer in Oregon, it turned out to be the circuit board. We had it fixed (for a price) and had the machine reinstalled. I have been using and it has been working for two months. AND then while using dry cycle SOMETHING WENT TERRIBLY WRONG. First there was a terrible smell and the Machine Quit and then our RV started filling with smoke. The smell was atrocious, burning your lungs. We quickly tore the front off where it is located and unplugged the machine (the cord was in perfect condition and NOT hot at all). The problem was Inside the machine. From the smell and since the machine won�t even turn on, I think it is toast. It is completely ruined.
    Has anyone Ever had this happen with their Spendide Washer/dryer combo?