SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dadoes

Check Your Dryer Exhaust

dadoes
15 years ago

I can't emphasize that enough.

Check your dryer exhaust!

I heard through a friend that another friend's housekeeper had complained that his dryer was taking several hours, repeat cycles, to get anything dry. I stopped by last week for a look-see.

Turned the dryer on, went outside to check the airflow at the exhaust hood. Nothing.

Came back in, the dryer was definitely heating, there was a slight hot/burning odor.

Pulled the dryer out for examination. I'm wishing now I'd brought along a camera. The very short piece of flexduct connecting the dryer exhaust to the wall was torn. It obviously had been ripped for a period of years. Lint had accumulated in the tear, which then provided an anchor for more lint to build-up until the flexduct was completely clogged, back into the dryer itself. It's a miracle there hadn't already been a fire. Before the full clog built-up, when there was still airflow, lint residue (dryer filters DO NOT catch everything) had been blowing out of the tear, accumulating behind the dryer, and getting sucked back into the machine through the air intake. The machine's cabinet, around the motor, element and blower housing, everywhere, was full of accumulated lint.

So again, CHECK (AND CLEAN) YOUR DRYER EXHAUST! And that doesn't mean just the section of flexvent or ducting that may be between the dryer and the wall. It means the ENTIRE length of the exhaust ductwork, THROUGH the wall, attic, basement, under the house, however/wherever it may run, to the exhaust hood where it blows OUTSIDE.

Comments (12)