SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jmarie09

we have major problems with geo-thermal.help!!!

jmarie09
13 years ago

As I said before, we have some major problems. The humidity in our home is in the high 60's. It has gotten to the point where our inside doors aren't closing and some drawers aren't closing.

We have a new home. We have sprayed in insulation in the unfinished basement. (Concrete floor, cinder block wall. We plan to finish basement this winter.) We were told by Geo-thermal installer/owner, that since our house was so air-tight,we might want to consider a whole house air exchanger. Trusting his expertise in his field, we agreed to allow them to install.

The humidity didn't happen over night. It wasn't until doors started sticking, a swelled cabinet caused some wall tile to crack, drawers started getting jammed,cracks started appearing in ceiling and walls that we realized it might be a moisture problem.

We called our ?Geo thermal installer, they came and installed a de-humidifier that did nothing to help the situation. We asked and were told at that time that they have whole house air exchangers with attached dehumidifiers, but didn't think about that at the time of our exchanger installation.

When their de-humidifier didn't work, we went and got a de-humidifier from Walmart. That was helping, so we went and got another and had our installer come and pick theirs up.

Now, we realize that whenever the air is on, it is blowing moisture from somewhere into our house. My husband put the humistat over the registers where the air comes in and it registered 65-70 when the air came on.

Can anyone explain to us WHAT might be going on? We are wondering if the guys that did our installation may be in over their heads and we fear moisture, unseen mold and mildew....as the air coming out of the registers now have an odd smell.

We are at out wits end, trying to deal with this. We put SO much money into this house...We went with solar energy, spent all this money and now having this horrible problem. Oh, please is there anyone out there who might be able to shed some light on this for us?

I anxiously await ANY response.

Comments (10)