SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
riverrat1

Fajitas and Margaritas

riverrat1
15 years ago

DH and I are hosting an auction item we donated to one of the local schools. I found out that the Fajita and Margarita party was one of the highest paid items at the auction. So, I need to make this a very nice party for 14 people. I think I'll rent the margarita machine and mix from a local Tex-Mex restaurant that is known for their Margaritas. I'll also have chicken and beef fajitas with all the sides (salsa, queso dip, chips, mexican bean dip and guacamole). I'll also serve Mexican beer and white wine.

You guys always have such great ideas I thought I come to you and ask. What appetizers and desserts should I offer to go with this theme. Should I have more than one Margarita machine? I will use plain glass dishes, margarita glasses and wine glasses. I have several real Mexican blankets that I will use for table cloths. What other type decorations should I have? I'm also thinking that a Pinata would be a lot of fun. Any other activities?

Comments (28)

• shaun
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

You gotta get Mexican Jumping Beans and have bean races with prizes! I did this one time when I hosted a Mexican Fiesta at my house and the bean race was a huge hit! You can order them online.

Don't forget the Sangria!! OLE~

Here is a link that might be useful: Mexican Jumping Beans

• triciae
    15 years ago

You need a few sombreros hanging around!

Music! Don't forget the music...

You can probably find some themed paper napkins/coasters, etc. with a cactus or something similar.

I always think of flan for a Mexican dessert. There's also Tres Leches cake, Mexican wedding ball cookies, or churros.

I LOVE the jumping bean idea!

How fun.

/tricia

• Related Discussions

How would you handle this?

Q

Comments (37)
    Gellcom -- Thank you. Although, I do feel a little guilty about complaining here!! I do want to point out that I said I was incredibly stupid for making the choice to spend so little on my own child and spending it on the shower. That was my choice and I cannot hold it against them, you are right about that. But it does make me sick that I made that choice and as I said -- I feel stupid for that. However, had things turned out differently, I would have felt better about making that sacrifice -- make sense? But no, I cannot blame them. If they would have been upfront and said "We're really looking for a kegger and not at all a baby shower and by the way, we'd like to enjoy extra beer for the superbowl too." Then, I would have had a better idea of what I was getting into and would have made better choices...It's not that I didn't want to give them what they wanted, it's that what they wanted was over and beyond what I had signed up for and I didn't realize this until it was too late. Then they insisted despite us explaining that we didn't have the money for this...Well, it's a bit different than trying to force what I think they should want on them, don't you think? (I know you were agreeing with most of what I said...So, I'm not feeling attacked...Just explaining the situation as I see it.) And, the only reason that I wanted to explain things to the parents-to-be was because I've been made to look like the "bad guy" that didn't want to give them their keg and marg machine. So, there is that part of me that would like to explain where my heart was in all of this. But, I won't...I did that here instead!! Chase -- I agree. It's just never easy when you really value people in your life and then you are shocked by their behavior. I am not the perfect friend by any means -- I am flawed and have a great deal of baggage, so I always try to cut my friends some slack. I don't know how I will feel about this later, but I know that I have lost a great deal of respect...not just because of the keg that they could not live without, but because of the issue with not caring about the hostesses, the gift return scheme, etc. I definitely have some re-evaluating to do in terms of the friendship and as upset as this has made me, I think it might be a matter of self-preservation to just remain cordial. We'll see what happens...After feeling the need to email me about how important the alcohol was, they may not want to be friends with me at all!!
    ...See More

I Survived The Murphys Law of Partys!

Q

Comments (12)
    Thank you all for the Kudos. I'm proud to say I didn't have a meltdown after the party since everything turned out fine. Honestly if my hubby hadn't been so calm I probaly would have had a good l-o-n-g meltdown but he was the voice of reason. As for the Town Administrator, I have invited he and his wife for dinner this weekend; it's the least I can do! My children had a blast, igot to see my family from far and wide and everyone enjoyed the food so all is well in my sleepy little town. Here are a couple of pictures we took while setting up:
    ...See More

Help me speak "mexican"

Q

Comments (38)
    @AnnieD: enchiladas are pretty accessible and usually pretty consistent, if this is new to you. Most common restaurants will do this OK. Growing up in the PNW, I suffered through some watered down Tex-Mex, Cal-Mex and Mexican interpretations (even done by Mexican-American owned establishments). Now, the quality and execution has improved tremendously. The variety of cuisine in Mexico is quite diverse, and I've had great Nuevo cuisine in my travels down south. California, being a former part of Mexico and plenty of Mexican Americans and immigrants, is really starting to support restaurants with regional cuisine and more traditional dishes, plus new takes done in new styles. You will not see the same 10 ingredients re-arranged into 70 items. The tendency to water-down the cuisine has also lessened. (At the same time, Taco Bell and fast casual chains seem to survive). I love also to discover small kitchens and taco stands, and buy homemade tamales from the lady who pushes her cart on Sundays through my neighborhood or from the farmer's market. BTW, one of the origin myths of the original burrito is from San Francisco's Mission district, a former immigrant neighborhood that is now a hipster/foodie destination. On the other hand, there are some terrible Tex Mex and Mexican restaurants throughout the world (outside of the Americas) -- like in Europe, Asia and Australia. I've tried them --- ugh.
    ...See More

What are you serving up this Cinco De Mayo? Taco Tuesday?

Q

Comments (23)
    My SIL had Cinco de Mayo dinner for about 12 last night + one three year old who was very social and fun - daughter of a younger couple they had just met who had moved into the neighborhood. Stick on moustaches and straw sombreros. A warm bean dip, pico de gallo, salsa, chips. She served her mock chicken enchilada casserole (that I find acceptable but not wonderful). Carne asada (Costco's pre-marinated) with a make your own fajita bar, rice, refried beans. A blackberry dessert (mine), margaritas. I really enjoy Hispanic foods, this was not the best. But lots of fun, lots of laughing so all in all a good evening.
    ...See More
  • Terri_PacNW
    15 years ago

Cajeta cheese cake. Or actually dulce de leche cheese cake. Make a can of Dulce (sweetened condensed milk) and swirl into cheese cake batter before baking, have some thinned for drizzling on the side.

How about a Lime Spritzer cookie. I know it's not mexican but..would be a good.

Or:
    Chile Chocolate Torte
    Melon salad with Lime syrup
    White Strawberry Sangria

• lindac
    15 years ago

A pinata, flan and strawberries for dessert....unless you want to make fried icecream.
    Apptizers? Shtimp? Grilled on a skewer? assorted veggies including jicama with a sour cream dip....chips and different salsas? Maybe a Tequila salt and lime contest to see who can drink the most....noooo BAD idea!! LOL!
    For decorations think terra cotta, cactus, cut out tin stuff...
    How about making candle lanterns out of tin cans?...collect cans, remove the lid, fill with water and freeze.....then punch holes with a nail in a decorative pattern, melt the ice and put a votive or tea light inside.
    Sounds like fun!
    Linda C

• sweeby
    15 years ago

The jumping bean race idea sounds fabulous!
    And I was also thinking of flan for dessert.
    You could also do "dessert quesadillas" with sugar, cinnamon and chocolate sauce drizzled on it. Don't know how authentic it is, but it's easy to cook & good for nibbling.

I see it's only for 14, so I can't see a second margarita machine being necessary -- or even one, unless your aim is to free up someone from bartender duty. Margaritas by the blender-full should be fine for 14 people. You could have a few blenders going with strawberry margaritas, mango margaritas, etc. -- or just have some fruit over by the margarita station so guests could tinker with their own.

Sounds like a great party --

• User
    15 years ago

Karen what a fun event and how generous of you to donate! For dessert I would do flan , for sure. However you could do grilled fruit and ice cream.

I don't have an exact recipe, not that you need one anyway, but I love to serve grilled Quesadillas as an appetizer. You can make in advance and layer between sheets of plastic wrap and then just throw on the grill. They only take a minute and are fun to make ans serve. My favourite fillings are Monterey Jack, black olives, jalapes and chorizo but of course you can mix it up an y way you want.

Here is a recipe Alexa posted that I have made at the cottage, huge hit.

Margarita Shrimp

Raw shrimp
    Chili Powder
    Squeeze of lime juice

Sauce

1/2 Cup tequila
    1/4 fresh lime juice
    One-half 6-ounce can frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed

Toss shrimp in chile powder and grill . Squeeze lime over the shrimp and cool.

Bring the ingredients for the sauce to a simmer and add a slurry of cornstarch/water to thicken. Cool the sauce.

Serve cold on a tray with the dipping sauce in a salted margarita glass with sliced limes as a garnish. Sometimes I sprinkle on a chiffonade of cilantro but not always since some people really hate it.

Hope you like it! Alexa

Shrimp can be boiled, grilled or sauted

Here is one Beverly posted that I have been dying to try.

Rita's Queso from Rita's on the River in San Antonio

Originally posted by Brenda55 on the Cooking Forum.

Brenda's notes: This recipe was in the SA paper several months ago and a reader had asked for this recipe from Rita's on the River because it was "the best queso we have ever eaten". I just recently fixed it and it was for us also the best queso. I changed the recipe somewhat for the heat impaired in my house and served the pica de gallo on top, which I really liked as it added the crunch with the creamy queso. I hope you enjoy as much as we did. I also halved the recipe and we still had enough left to serve over some soft tacos the next night.

Can be cut in half or thirds

Rita's Queso

3 Lb white American cheese ( Use Queso Blanco Instead )
    2 Cup half and half
    1 Cup heavy cream
    1 Cup sour cream
    1 Cup salsa (your favorite recipe)
    1-1/2 T. Lawry's Seasoned Salt (or your favorite seasoning)
    1 Tbl Tabasco sauce

Pico de Gallo

2 Cups ripe tomatoes chopped
    1/2 Cup chopped onions
    2 Tbl minced fresh jalapeno or serrano chiles
    2-3 T. chopped fresh cilantro
    3 Tbl fresh lime juice
    Salt and pepper to taste

For queso: cut white cheese into 1 to 2 inch cubes, set aside. Combine all ingredients, except cheese and Pico de Gallo in microwave-safe dish. Add cheese and microwave on high for 4 minutes, stop and stir and repeat twice; then reduce to 2 minutes until mixture is hot and well mixed.

Recipe can be reduced by half or a third.

Pico de Gallo

Combine tomatoes, onions, chiles, salt, cilantro and lime juice in bowl.

Let set for at least 30 minutes to an hour. Drain before placing on top of queso.

Food editor's notes: It can also be made in a slow cooker to keep it hot and to avoid a skin forming on the surface. You can adjust the heat level easily with salsa, pico de gallo and Tabasco.

• mustangs81
    15 years ago

Karen, What great ideas our friends have offered! I know your auction item will be a huge hit again...your friends and neighbors know your work! You could get May to get the menu from that restaurant she took us to in Houston.

I am looking forward to a recap of what you end up presenting. Yes, so I can copy it.

• compumom
    15 years ago

How nice of you to donate such a great prize! Flan or cheesecake is great, but I'd also recommend adding churros for dessert. They're similar to the dessert quesadillas but you can buy them frozen then bake and dip in cinnamon & sugar and an ibarra chocolate dip!

• jessyf
    15 years ago

What Cathy said, I want to copy it too.

Two websites for decorations and novelty stuff:

http://rinovelty.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/products.thumbs/cat/74/Theme_Parties_Fiesta

http://www.orientaltrading.com/application?namespace=browse&Ne=90000&Ntk=all&Ntx=mode%2bmatchallpartial&cm_re=TOP--PS--PS&event=catalog&N=377347&origin=catalogCategory.jsp&tabId=PartySupplies

• lowspark
    15 years ago

Lots of people (who I know) like strawberry margaritas so if you're going to have two kinds that's what I'd have. I also love sangria margaritas which is just a swirl of sangria & normal margs, and sangria is probably a great thing to have on hand in case any one wants wine instead of tequila.

If you do Dos Equis beer (XX) you can do the thing where you salt the outside of the bottle. You stick a piece of lime inside the bottle, then salt the outside of the bottle with a course salt (which sticks because of the condensation) then you're supposed to take a lick of the salt before each swig of the beer.

I'd consider chips & salsa & queso the appetizer. OR you could do bean & cheese nachos. OR mushroom and/or spinach quesadillas. OR ceviche (which I LOVE)

Dessert: Sopapillas, but that's a pain because they have to be fried & eaten hot out of the oil.

What fun!!!

• lowspark
    15 years ago

OH!! LOL! I just read what Cathy said. You will not believe this, I swear I didn't read what she wrote, but that's exactly the website I went to for ideas! I LOVE that place.

Here is a link that might be useful: El Tiempo Cantina

• triciae
    15 years ago

If you're feeling ambitious here's my recipe for tamales. I've made these at least 30 times. I quadruple the recipe & engage several friends to help. I make the filling, spread the masa dough on the husks & then pawn off the filling, rolling, & tying to others. Then, I take over & do the steaming. It's a fun group activity but the tying makes my fingers bleed!

TAMALES

(This will make a dozen)

2 Dozen Corn Husks (you'll use extra for around the steamer & some will fall apart & not be suitable for use so get extra...hence 2 dozen)

2 Pounds Boneless Pork Butt or Shoulder, cut into 1" cubes
    4 Dried Ancho Chiles
    2 Dried California chiles
    2 Tablespoons Lard
    Half an Onion, chopped
    2 Cloves Garlic, Minced
    1/2 Teaspoon Dried Oregano
    1/4 Teaspoon Ground Cumin
    1/8 Teaspoon Ground Cloves
    1/2 Teaspoon Salt, or to taste
    1 Cup Reserved Pork Broth
    1/3 Cup Lard
    2 Cups Masa Harina
    1/2 Teaspoon Salt
    1-1/2 Cups Reserved Pork Broth

1.) Soak the corn husks in hot water, removing any silk. Open the husks flat & stand them to drain until needed but do not allow them to dry out...they should be damp but not wet.

2.) Cover the meat with water & simmer until almost tender...about 40-45 minutes. Drain meat & reserve broth. Coarsely chop or shred the meat.

3.) Remove & discard the seeds & stems from the chiles. Place chiles on a preheated SS skillet & lightly toast the chiles, turn them frequently. Cool. Crumble the chiles into a blender & grind to a fine powder.

4.) Heat the 2 tablespoons of lard in a large SS skillet & saute the onion and garlic, cook just a couple minutes. Add the oregano, cumin, cloves, & ground chili. Stir & cook about another 2 minutes. Stir in meat & salt...cook just another minutes, or so. Slowly, stir in 1 cup of the reserved pork broth and cook 5 minutes over medium-low heat. Let the filling cool.

5.) In a large bowl beat the 1/3 cup lard until fluffy. Mix together the masa harina & salt. Alternately add small amounts of the masa harina and reserved broth into the lard & mix well after each addition. The dough should be just dry enough to hold together yet moist enough to spread easily on the corn husks.

6.) To assemble: Place water in the bottom of a steamer. The tamales should be set above the water on a rack. Line the steamer rack with a layer of husks.

7.) Hold a corn husk in the palm of your hand & spread about 2 tablespoons of dough in a thin square-shaped layer in the center of each husk. Place a large spoonful of the filling in the middle of the dough. Roll the husk around the filling. Make sure both ends of the dough are sealed. Turn the ends of the husks under. Wrap in an additional husk and tie with string. Tying them with strips of husk is just too time consuming...use string!

8.) Stand the tamales upright in the steamer as they are wrapped. Don't pack them in too tight. Top them off with another layer of husks. Place a lid on the steamer.

9.) Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to medium-low & steam for 2-1/2 hours. You'll need to periodically add water. When done, the dough will easily pull away from the husks...if they are sticking...they are not done.

I make these about 50 at a time & it takes a good 1/2 day to prepare the filling, dough, form the tamales & steam. But the results are soooo worth the effort!

/tricia

• riverrat1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you guys. Really, I've been in "outer space" lately and couldn't think of what to do for this party. You guys are the best.

I'm keeping up with all that you all are saying and will start buying and planning tomorrow. The party will be on June 7, the week after the school is let out for the summer. The people that purchased this party are some of the staff members of the school. I promise they are going to be ready to party...I better go buy a lot of red wine away...I can just see it now.

Shaun, hen I saw your idea of Mexican Jumping beans I ordered right away. How fun.

tricia, I love the Mexican Wedding cookies idea.

Terri, Cajita cheescake and white strawberry sangria! Nice for our hot summer nights.

Linda, I've said it before. You just need to be my neighbor. I love your ideas.

Sweeby, Hey, I'd love you to come and run a few of those blenders for me. LOL! I think I'll still get the margarita machine for the real margaritas but will plan for a few blenders to be going with some of the newer rita recipes. Great idea.

Chase, I'm doing those Margarita shrimp. Sounds so good.

Cathy, Thanks. I plan on taking lots of pictures of food and fun. I'll keep you guys updated.

Ellen, I will have to start looking now for frozen churros. Maybe our Latin market has them?

Jessica, thanks for the websites. I do plan on decorating. I'll get you some funny pictures...I promise. This group of ladies are pretty fun.

May, how bout you and sweeby coming to help out? j/k. Although you both have fun and great ideas...always. Hummmm, I think I like the idea of licking a bottle. LOL! Thanks for that menu. I can get great ideas from that.

tricia, I love your tamale recipe but I'm not feeling that ambitious. However, I will keep the recipe when I have the family together and we can make your tamales all day long. Thanks.

Keep the ideas coming!

• claire_de_luna
    15 years ago

This Lime Mousse Cake is Very Good! It sounds like you've got it well covered...Have fun with it. I know the recipients will!

Here is a link that might be useful: Lime Mousse Cake

• dreamhouse1
    15 years ago

Hola! Sounds like you are off to a good start with your fiesta!!

Here are a few more suggestions:

How about ceviche as an appetizer? Serve in a margarita glass so your guests can socialize while enjoying.

Or how about shrimp (or small crab cakes) with mango & cilantro salsa?

Or chicken flautas with guacamole? If you have a good Mexican restaurant available, order them and keep them warm in the oven, cut in half and pass or put out on a tray.

Bite size empanadas can be made ahead and kept warm also.

Also, on the margarita machine, each batch is huge! We have one and need a big party to warrant turning it on...always lots of leftovers. We had a party for 120 a couple of months ago and served bellinis and the one machine was enough (we mixed 2 batches and had leftovers). Ask the restaurant about the leftovers or how they will charge you. We were charged for the whole batch, we kept the l/o's, but if you don't have the machine that won't help.

Pina Coladas are always good too, serve with a long wedge of fresh pineapple.

Tiquela shots??? OLE!

Fried plantain chips served with chimichurri...Muy Bueno!

• doucanoe
    15 years ago

Karen, that sounds like one helluva good time! I am not surprised it was the highest bid item at the auction! Very cool donation!

Some great ideas, here. I know you will come up with the perfect menu, perfect beverages and perfect decor. I only wish I was one of the guests! LOL

You probably don't need a recipe, but this one is super easy and delicious!

Never Fail Flan
    (from my friend Camille)
    Serves 6
    11/4 cups granulated sugar
    4 cups of whole milk
    6 eggs, lightly beaten
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    pinch of salt.

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. To make the caramel, put 1/2 cup of the sugar (I use about 2-to 3- times this much) into a small heavy saucepan. Heat, stirring constantly, until the sugar melts. Warm six ramekins by rinsing them in hot water and drying them quickly. Continue to heat the sugar syrup, without stirring, until it turns a deep golden color. Remove the pan from the heat.
    2. Pour some of the caramel into a ramekin and turn it so it coats the bottom and sides. BE VERY CAREFUL DOING THIS, I HAVE BURNED MY FINGERS SEVERAL TIMES.
      As soon as the caramel sets, turn the ramekin upside down on a baking sheet. Coat the remaining ramekins in the same way.
    3. Scald the milk by heating it in a saucepan to just below boiling point. Pour into a bowl and cool.
    4. Put the eggs into a bowl and gradually beat in the remaining sugar. Add the cooled milk, vanilla extract and salt. Mix together well.
    5. Pour the egg mixture into the ramekins and put them into a roasting pan filled with enough hot water to some halfway up the sides of the ramekins.
    6. Bake for about 40 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center of the custard comes out clean.
    7. Cool the custards, then chill for several hours in the fridge.
    8. Wet a non-serrated knife and run it between the custard and the side of the ramekin. Put a plate upside down over the ramekin and invert it quickly. The flan will slide out easily.
      It may sound like a pain in the ass, but once you do it the first time, it gets easy. This works every time too. My mom has tried several recipes and has never had consistent luck with any of them. The reason I use 2-to times the amount of sugar for the syrup is because the first time a made it, there wasn't enough to coat the ramekins. When you are doing the syrup, the sugar will dry up and get real clumpy, just keep stirring it and it will continue to liquefy. It will get dark brown. When you pour in into the ramekins, it will get hard as a rock, but then once you add the custard mix and cook it, it liquefies again and there you go.....
      Enjoy!!

Linda

• jimster
    15 years ago

Lots of good ideas. The tough part now will be winnowing down the list. To make it more difficult I will add a couple of thoughts.

Tamales are considered a special occasion treat in Mexico. They are labor intensive (like many Mexican foods) and I would not recommend making them without experience or a practice run.

Ceviche is good, interesting, has not been overworked and is not difficult. Not everyone will like it, but what else is new? In this day and age of sushi, it isn't such a wild thing. It can be made with fish, shrimp or scallops.

Guacamole is a favorite of mine. I had some today. The simpler the recipe, the better. The avocados must be at their peak of ripeness. Mash them with salt, finely chopped onion and finely chopped jalapenos. Don't make it smooth. Leave it a little rough. I don't add diced tomatoes. They look nice, but make the guacamole watery and don't do much for the taste. If guacamole is done ahead the surface will brown and look ugly. Seal it with plastic wrap and give it a stir before serving.

Sopa de aguacate (avocado soup) is elegant and easy to prepare. It is based on chicken stock and the better the stock, the better the resulting soup. Make your best, rich, well seasoned chicken stock. Puree avocado pulp in a blender with the stock. Use 2 large avocados for each 6 cups of stock. Serve hot but don't boil. Garnish as you see fit with tortilla chips, cilantro sprigs or chopped scallions. It's so good!

A good cocktail accompaniment is Cacahuates Enchilados (chilied peanuts). Saute a few peeled, crushed garlic cloves in a small amount of oil. Add dry roasted peanuts and stir until hot and coated with oil. Sprinkle with enough powdered chiles of your choice (not chile powder) to coat the peanuts and stir until thoroughly heated. Remove and let cool. Chile heads will like these if you make them hot enough.

For decorating, the colors which are evocative of Mexico for me are pink, yellow and aqua. I would use napkins and other stuff in those colors.

Note: Dos Equis is good. Negra Modelo is VERY good.

Jim

• KatieC
    15 years ago

Want one more flani-ish idea? Liana makes me this for my birthday...it's sturdier than flan and lighter than cheesecake....mmmm...

* Exported from MasterCook *

Cheesecake Flan

Recipe By : Katie
    Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1/2 Cup Sugar
    3 Tablespoons Water
    8 Ounces Cream Cheese -- softened
    3 Eggs
    1 Teaspoon Vanilla
    1 Can Sweetened Condensed Milk*
    1 Can Evaporated Milk -- (13 Oz.)

Caramelize the sugar and water. When caramelized, pour into a 9-inch round pan.

Put cream cheese, eggs, and vanilla in blender. Blend until smooth. Add condensed milk and blend again. Add evaporated milk and blend again. Pour over caramelized sugar in pan and set pan in another pan with has about one inch of water in it. Bake for one hour in a 350F oven. Cool and invert on a plate. Chill.

*Katie's note: We make our own sweetened condensed milk:

1 1/2 c. sugar
    2/3 c. evaporated milk
    4 tbsp. butter

Heat until sugar is melted. Makes about 1 1/2 c. (1 can = 1 1/4 c.)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

We got our first warm day today...margaritas sound pretty darn good about now.

• lakeguy35
    15 years ago

Karen, what cool idea to offer a party for the auction and this theme is perfect for sure!

I can't add much to what has already been suggested. Not sure if there will be kids or not?? A Tex-Mex place here serves dessert nachos. It's cinnamon and sugar tortilla chips topped with ice cream, chocolate and caramel sauce, nuts, and whipped cream. I love it as much as the kids due...but then..I'm just and OLD kid for the most part! Like the soppapillas there is the frying factor if you want to make homemade chips.

I'm sure you already have a recipe for the Fajitas, if not, this one is great.

Beef Fajitas Recipe Courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2003

1/4 Cup fresh lime juice
    1/4 Cup tequila
    4 Clove garlic peeled and smashed
    2 Tbl roughly chopped cilantro leaves
    2 Tbl vegetable oil
    2 Tsp Worcestershire sauce
    1 Tsp dried crushed Mexican oregano
    1 Tsp red pepper flakes
    1 Tsp ground cumin
    1 Tsp ground coriander
    2 Lb flank steak fat trimmed
    2 Tsp salt
    1 Tsp ground black pepper
    6 large flour tortillas
    1 red bell pepper stemmed, seeded, and thinly sliced
    1 green bell pepper stemmed, seeded, and thinly sliced
    1 yellow bell pepper stemmed, seeded, and thinly sliced
    1 large white onion thinly sliced
    1 Tbl minced garlic
    Lime wedges

accompaniment
    Cold Mexican beer or tequila shots

In a bowl, whisk together the lime juice, tequila, garlic, cilantro, 1 tablespoon of the oil, the Worcestershire sauce, oregano, pepper flakes, cumin and coriander. Pour into a large zip-lock bag, add the steak, and seal. Place in a baking dish and refrigerate for at least 12 and up to 24 hours, turning occasionally.

Remove the meat from the bag and pat dry. Season on both sides with 1 teaspoon of the salt and 1/2 teaspoon of the pepper.

Preheat the grill to high, and preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.

Wrap the tortillas in foil and place in the oven for 15 minutes to warm and soften. Remove from the oven and keep warm in the aluminum foil.

Cook the steak over the grill to preferred temperature, 3 to 4 minutes per side for medium rare. Remove from the heat and let rest for 10 minutes before slicing.

Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the remaining oil over medium-high heat. Add the peppers and onions, and cook, stirring, until soft and slightly caramelized, 12 to 15 minutes. Add the garlic, remaining teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring, until the garlic is fragrant and soft, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.

Thinly slice the steak against the grain. Divide among the warmed tortillas and top with the vegetables. Squeeze with lime juice and serve immediately with cold beer or tequila shots.

Oh, if you want some retro music I can send DM's Freddy Fender alblum....LOL!

Have great time, I know you will.

David

• trixietx
    15 years ago

For several years we did a motorcycle poker run for a fundraiser for a youth program. We would have fajitas and the "trimmins" that evening in our back yard for those attending.

The favorite appetizers were stuffed jalepenos and I would combine my apricot jalapeno jelly with cream cheese and serve as a spread with crackers.

For dessert I did a margarita cake, a cobbler using flour tortillas that is really good and sopapilla cheesecake. I have the recipes if you are interested. They are all really easy!

Sounds like you are going to have alot of fun for a good cause! Doesn't get much better than that.

• femmelady
    15 years ago

Karen, what a wonderful party! No wonder you had the highest bid.

I was also going to suggest tamales as Tricia did, but also know they are quite a bit of work. But, I've really been into making them lately. Last weekend, my husband put a pork roast in the oven at 200 for about 8 hours and it fell apart. I chilled it to let the lard float to the top for the tamales. I then made Rick Bayless' picadillo pork. I made a mess of tamales, and have several bags of them in the freezer (already steamed). They freeze really well, and then reheat with about 10-15 minutes of steaming, and everyone loves them! Just thought I'd throw that out there again because you could make them in advance.

One thing I love to do is float fresh squeezed orange juice in my margaritas. Really puts them over the top (and I think you should get the machine - many people love a frozen marg - I do, and that way, you can make it easy). Sangria is also really good and really easy. I've also made my own salt rimmer by drying the zests of lemon, lime and orange at low in the microwave until completely dry, then mix it with salt and a little super fine sugar. Really good and beautiful on the rim.

On the chips and salsa, I love the Shooting Star Farms chips, which come in a mix of red, yellow and blue corn, so a basket looks really festive. Last year, I ordered a case right from their web site and it came quickly. They also have a cherry salsa that's to die for! When I'm serving a crowd, I'll buy three kinds of salsa and serve them with the chips. I try to go with very different kinds such as a fire roasted tomato, a pineapple or mango version, and sometimes a verde or tomatilla salsa.

Other sides can include a Mexican rice. Again, from Bayless, he toasts the rice until nutty with onions, and then mix in other brightly diced vegetables such as psppers or whatever you'd prefer and then cook as usual. I bought his Authentic Cookbook at Borders last year and am finding myself paging through it again and again.

Best of luck! I love a Mexican fiesta!!

• KatieC
    15 years ago

Trixie, I want all three of those recipes, please. Summer's coming...it's margarita and *whatever* season. Your stuffed jalapenos reminded me of jalapeno cheesecake.

And what a great fundraising idea...I think I will have to steal it. We did a dessert-of-the-month certificate from the Friends of the Library for our library auction and the people who got it are ecstatic. Eleven of us volunteered for a month, and in December we'll all contribute to a huge platter of cookies. But a party...excellent. I can't wait to tell them I got the idea from someone named River Rat.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Jalapeno Cheesecake

Recipe By : Katie
    Serving Size : 20 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    8 ounces cream cheese
    1 1/4 cups grated cheddar cheese -- sharp is best
    4 cloves garlic
    1 egg
    8 ounces jalapeno jelly

Mix first four ingredients together with half of the jelly. Pour mixture into greased 6-inch springform pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes. Cool before removing from pan. Heat remaining jelly and pour over top of cheesecake. Serve with chips and/or crackers.

• lowspark
    15 years ago

May, how bout you and sweeby coming to help out? j/k

Good thing you said "j/k" or I'd be showing up at your door!! I'd help you in a heartbeat!! What fun!

Here's my (simple) recipe for guacamole which always gets rave reviews.

Smash up avacados (leave it a little bit chunky, not all smooth). Add in a ton o' fresh squeezed lime. This adds a lovely lime flavor and keeps the avacado from turning brown. I add a bunch and it never turns brown till I pull out the leftovers (if there are any) from the fridge the next day. Add in your favorite salsa (I use the salsa from a local TexMex joint which I usually buy whenever we eat there) and some kosher salt. Simple but wonderful.

• vera123
    15 years ago

Love this thread! Sounds like everything is covered with all these great ideas. We had a mexican themed party a few years ago & strung up chili pepper lights, and had a few of those parrots on perches hanging from tree branches. I also made BIG tissue paper flowers in bright colors & wrapped floral tape around some thin dowels for the stems. Stuck them in large vases & placed them on serving tables around the patio. Have a great party!

• lindac
    15 years ago

I can't rest until I have posted my favorite flan recipe....from Ninfa's in Houston.

Flan...or creme caramel
    You need a 1 1/2 qt straight sided dish to make this in...I use a souffle dish
    Melt 2/3 cup of sugar in a sauce pan over medium heat until it turns caramel color. Pour into your baking dish and tilt the dish so it covers the bottom and goes part way up the sides. Set dish aside.

In a blender (or you could use a bowl and a mixer) mix:
    3 eggs
    3 egg yolks
    2 t pure vanilla extract
    1 14oz can of sweetened condensed milk
    1 3/4 c. milk
    2 oz cream cheese
    Mix until smooth...pour into prepared dish. Bake in a water bath in a pre-heated 350 oven for 1 hour and 10 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes clean. You may have to tent it with foil during the last 15 or 20 minutes to keep it from getting too brown.
    Cool one hour than chill at least several hours...better overnight. Turn upside down on a serving plate...one with sides, the caramel makes a sauce and will run down the sides. Serve in wedges like a cake, topped with strawberries if you want.

Water bath: set your baking dish in another larger pan and fill the other pan with boiling water 1/2 up the side of the baking dish

• riverrat1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Claire, Lime Mousse! OMG! How wonderful.

dreamhouse, I thought about doing cherviche but I only have 30 margarita glasses...great idea though. I do like the idea of adding some seafood to the menu. Since doing research the last couple of days, I've found that I can order frozen margaritas in large coolers that will stay frozen the entire night.A local restaurant know for it's wonderful margarita's offers this as an option. I think I'll order a few of the coolers. The coolers have a spigot on the bottom.

Linda, Copied and pasted. Sounds like a great recipe.

Jim, I think we've met in another life. The only beer that I like to drink is Dos Equis or Negro Modelo and then it needs to be hot as hades outside. It will be pretty warm on June 7th...I see lots of beer flowing along with the margaritas and sangria. Hola!!!

Katie, Send Liana my way. I could use a couple of those cheesecake flan thingies. YUM! If you use this as a fundraiser, email me. I'll let you know what works and what doesn't work. I'm gonna have fun right along with the people that paid a great price for a nice party that will benefit a school.

Ahhhhh, David my friend, It seems you know me well. Send me Freddie Fender's greatest hits! I've C&P your beef fajita recipe. Tequila shots....well, I better not. LOL!

Trixie, I hope this party is as fun as your party sounds. I like the idea of stuffed jalapeno. But I'll have to fry them...

Femm, I've forgotten about drying the zest of oranges, lemons and limes. I'm so glad you brought that up. Also, I've never tried floating orange juice in a frozen margarita. Gives me a great idea to try them out before the party :-) I do like a lot of Rick Bayless's recipes.

May, Come if you dare!

Linda, I still say you need to be my neighbor. Thanks for a local (well, kind of) recipe of flan.

Vera, Love the decorating ideas.

• jimster
    15 years ago

It will be great fun. Enjoy, and tell us all about it.

Jim

• lowspark
    15 years ago

Karen,
    I would dare, no question about it. Unfortunately, June 7 is the day we drive Ben up to UT. Believe me when I say this, if I weren't doing that, I'd be showing up on your doorstep!