SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print

This is a spin-off of the "Meat Probe" thread started by plllog. Plllog asks not to continue further on that thread, so I am respecting his/hers request.

I am discussing this further mostly because it a very important topic for food safety.

First, let me make it clear, it was not my point to say that meat probes cannot work. I was just saying that if you find your meat probe not working accurately, that would be one of the possible reasons.

Let me also say that I am not that much of an expert on thermometers, just speculations based on my knowledge as taught to me in physics 101. Please let me know if your understanding is different. We are here to exchange knowledge.

There are basically two types of thermometers, mechanical and electronic.

1. Mechanical ones work with bi-metal or hydraulic devices.

2. Electronic ones work with thermistors, thermal couple or infrared sensors.

Bi-metal is similar to the shut-off safety switch in your toaster and hair dryer; hydraulic is typical in you air conditioner temperature adjustment dials.

By the very nature of mechanical thermometers, as you see from the picture, the metal shaft has to be bigger than electronic ones, therefore there is a lot more metal to conduct heat that can interfere with meat temperature. As a mater of fact, the next time you make a roast, cut open where the thermometer is inserted, you will see the meat is much more well done around the thermometer than the other areas. I would guess the surface area of a mechanical thermometer is at least ten times larger to absorb and conduct heat than an electronic one. I am also showing you my cooking pins in the picture. The kind you use to stick in the meat to cook faster. As you can see the pins are about the same design as the dial-face thermometers. On my mechanical (dial face) thermometers, the markings are ten degrees apart, so a lot of guessing will be needed to read the exact degrees. Then the indicator needle is away from the faced plate a little, so unless you are reading directly at a 90 degrees angle, parallax will also distort your readings. Again, there are ways to possibly minimize this inherent problem of a typical mechanical thermometer and making it more accurate.

If you like to cook your meats at the lowest possible temperature with a mechanical thermometer, you will need to be very careful that you are doing the right thing.

I am not sure why some feel that metal does not conduct heat significantly better in an oven. You will always find the food charred where it makes contact with the metal grill in the oven.

There are electronic thermometers which are highly accurate because the probe is very thin.

I highly recommend you check your thermometer accuracy by dipping it in ice water and also in boiling water and see it will read 32 degrees F and 212 degrees F. Some thermometers will allow you to re-calibrate if the readings are not correct.

Enjoy your food, but be safe.

dcarch

Comments (13)