SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pecanwaffle_gw

Exterior Radiant Screen for South Facing Brick Wall?

9 years ago

Hey Everyone,

I wasn't sure what forum to post this to, please move my post if there is a more appropriate forum.

My house has a large surface area south facing brick wall with no tree cover at all. There is a single door and a kitchen window at the center of this wall.

This wall endures a tremendous amount of thermal load during the day. We are up on a hill and the sun hits the wall directly for 10 hours per day. The kitchen and dining room share this wall. The attic mounted condenser fan is located on the far side of the house.

The result is a very hot kitchen and dining room in the summer months, and a cozy dining room in the winter months.

I was thinking about mitigating the summer thermal load by hanging a screen along the wall at a slight angle to allow air to move between the screen and the brick. Perhaps anchored by hooks near the ground and top.

My questions are:

- is this a bad idea?
- has anyone seen this done, if so, was it successful?
- does anyone have a suggestion for the choice of screen/shield material that would work well and look good? (my house is an earth-tone color light beige)

Thanks,
PW

Comments (8)