SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
khrisz

How to Decease Heat Gain from South-Facing Windows

khrisz
6 years ago

I have a townhouse with a 2-story front entry hall and a 2-story living/dining room on the first floor. There is an upstairs loft that opens to both these areas. Off the loft are two bedrooms, which I use as my guest room and an office (the master is on the first floor). Floor plan of the second floor is below.

The upstairs bedrooms are virtually unusable in the summer and early fall due to my inability to cool them down while keeping the first floor at a reasonable temperature (usually 72 to 74). I had guests last summer and they ended up sleeping in my living room because the guest bedroom was so hot even with a fan on in the bedroom. Heat from the first level rises up to the loft and into the bedrooms and the upstairs bedroom windows and a large (approx 45 x 70) window above the front door all face west and get full afternoon sun. Also, the two bedroom are above the west-facing garage, which gets very hot in the summer (usually at least 15 degrees hotter than it is outside). Although there is insulation between the garage and the bedroom floors, I suspect heat is coming up through the floors to the bedrooms. I put insulation on the inside of the garage door but that didn't appear to help any.

I had an energy audit of the entire house; the a/c is working fine upstairs and the insulation between the garage and the bedroom floors completely fills the cavity. The only potential solution given to me during the energy audit was to have all the cracks, gaps, etc. in the attic filled in with special insulation. This was going to cost $3000. While I'm sure this would help with energy use overall, the only accessible attic is above the east facing living/dining room so I don't think my real problem of the bedrooms would be addressed.

This being a townhouse community with an HOA, I cannot affix anything to the windows on the outside or the siding (such as an awning) nor can I put any kind of darkening film on the windows. I'm in Maryland -- the summer temperatures are generally in the high 80's and sometimes in the high 90's.

I would appreciate advise on these options to make the bedrooms cooler in the summer:

1. The bedroom windows currently have white faux wood blinds which I keep in closed position. I have these throughout the house and would prefer to leave these in place. But I could add insulated draperies that I would leave closed all the time during the summer months. Are there brands or kinds of insulated drapes that are especially good at blocking heat or are they all about the same?

2. I think a blind on the window above the door would help. It would need to be motarized so that I could close it in the afternoon in the summer but leave retracted at other times since that window is the only source of natural light at the front of the house on the first floor. I get different answers at different stores on which kind of blind (cellular, insulated Roman shade, etc.) would reduce heat coming into the front hall from the window. Do you have opinions on what type would be best?

Many thanks for answers to these questions or any other ideas that you have to keep bedrooms cooler.

Comments (17)