SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joaneileen_gw

What To Do With My Lobster

JoanEileen
10 years ago

Hi, everybody---This may be the first time I've ever posted on here. Always enjoy the beautiful pictures and tasty recipes I've tried, Now in my older years I tend to do mostly mainstream cooking. This morning while I was buying salmon, the fish manager walked through and announced to us that they had a special----frozen cooked lobsters at $6.99 each. I grabbed a couple with no idea of what to do with them. I am having a friend over for lunch next week and thought about serving lobster rolls. Could someone put me on the right track about how to do this? I guess a couple of days ahead, I should put the lobsters in the fridge to defrost-----and then???? I'd be so grateful for some advice,

Comments (31)

• Teresa_MN
    10 years ago

Welcome JoanEileen! I am happy you quit lurking.

I will let the jimster or some other authentic east coast native provide the "how to's" of a good lobster roll.

Teresa in Minnesota

• jimster
    10 years ago

Yes, Teresa. Lobster is plentiful here and lobster rolls are very popular. But I have never made a lobster roll. :-)

Don't worry though. It is a simple dish.

Basically lobster salad is tuna salad but subbing lobster meat for tuna. I'm sure you can make that without a recipe. A lobster roll is a hot dog roll filled with lobster salad.

The big difference between a New England lobster roll and one made elsewhere is the roll. New England hot dog rolls are a little different is style. I'll let you Google that subject.

I have a slight preference for a simple lobster salad, served on a bed of lettuce. A roll is good though.

Jim

This post was edited by jimster on Tue, May 14, 13 at 18:51

• Related Discussions

lobster shells,,,what to do

Q

Comments (46)
    Oh it's been a while since I've posted here (not sure I'm a fan of the recent changes), but I am glad some things haven't changed. annpatt is still fighting the good fight, I see. She converted me. Besides, with 2 teens, we never have any bread, pastry, cereal, or any other wheat-based product around long enough to get stale or moldy. A box of saltines last a couple of hours.
    ...See More

New Year's lobster story.

Q

Comments (11)
    Yep, Kathleen, $3/pound! We bought two for dinner the first night. Went back and bought 12 more. Took them back to camp and cooked two for us to eat, then cooked and cleaned the rest and froze them. I kept the shells to make broth with. They are in the freezer. Maybe this week I'll find time to make it. Tami..who has never liked crab, but last night, DH gave me a taste of his crab leg and I liked it. Guess I just didn't like the crab stuffing in the flounder I had it in years ago!
    ...See More

Defrosted lobster tails

Q

Comments (4)
    Lars, I've not cooked frozen lobster in a couple of decades but, for fresh, I've learned that they're best if I par-boil them for about 2 minutes before halving & putting on the grill. That way, I'm sure they'll be cooked properly without having to leave on the grill very long. Once on the grill, I baste very simply with melted butter, a gulp of white wine, minced garlic, & fresh lemon juice. Sometimes, I'll add a bit of minced thyme and/or rosemary but just a tiny bit. Once grill marks appear (won't take long, just a couple minutes) I get them off the grill. I think you'll do best if the tails are thawed before grilling. Soak wrapped in a bowl of cool water to thaw. Enjoy! /tricia
    ...See More

need help - asap - what to fix with lobster

Q

Comments (2)
    Alexa, The potatoes turned out great in the new steamer and my son is getting it ready for the lobster. No fresh corn but I had several pouches of corn in butter sauce in the freezer and I'll toss them in the miceorwave now. I also pulled out a small loaf of french bread so I'm all set to go. thanks for the help.
    ...See More
  • Teresa_MN
    10 years ago

Isn't the roll used for a lobster roll kind of like folded Texas toast? Well that is what it looks like to me. Is the bun buttered and grilled? I'm drooling. :-)

• foodonastump
    10 years ago

Are these frozen lobsters still whole? I've never seen them sold like this. Offhand I'm thinking err on the side of underthawing rather than let them hang out in the fridge too long. I wouldn't be afraid to run them under cold water, either. By the time you chop them up and mix a salad they'll thaw the rest of the way in no time.

My advice for serving: prepare them simply. A bit of diced celery and just enough good quality mayo to make it lobster salad. A touch of lemon if you'd like. That's as far as I'd go. Then serve on buttered, toasted hot dog buns. I seek out top-split for these, but that's not overly critical.

Here's a picture I posted a while back.

• wizardnm
    10 years ago

I may not be from the east coast but I'll try to help at least.

I love lobster rolls. I'd thaw the meat starting about 24 hrs ahead. Check it in the morning, if it's still slightly frozen, I'd let it set out a little while. When thawed, roll it up in some paper toweling to absorb extra moisture from being frozen.

The link has a recipe that I have used several times. I sometimes leave out the dijon and Worcestershire sauce, just depends on your tastes. Lemon juice is important though.

Enjoy!

Welcome to the forum, most of us love to cook around here.

Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: Lobster Roll recipe

• John Liu
    10 years ago

If you are in the mood for soup, here is a lobster bisque recipe I have made and smacked my lips over.

http://books.google.com/books?id=SvxBdbOQ9Q8C&pg=PA54&lpg=PA54&ots=zjdDOMgUMR&dq=lobster+bisque+bourdain&output=html_text

http://books.google.com/books?id=SvxBdbOQ9Q8C&pg=PA55&lpg=PA54&ots=zjdDOMgUMR&dq=lobster+bisque+bourdain&output=html_text

If your food processor is not brawny, remove the shells before processing. But add the unprocessed shell pieces to the soup as they add a lot of flavor. They and the other solids get strained out at the end anyway.

• caliloo
    10 years ago

Well.... I don't care for celery or any other "stuff" in my lobster roll. I think lobster meat and just enough Hellmans (I think that is Best Foods mayo for the non-East Coast group) to give it the slightest coating, is perfect. No lemon for me either.

And yes, the buns must be Top-Split, and the touching sides buttered and griddled. Definitely NOT Texas toast.

To assemble, toss the lobster meat with a bit of top quality mayo. Griddle the top split buns. Gently pry the buns open and lay in as much lobster salad as you can fit without being completely gluttonous (okay, skip that part, pile in as much as will fit).

Serve with plain, salted potato chips.

That is it. The perfect Maine lobster roll.
    Alexa

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    10 years ago

What kind of lobsters are those? and how big?

There was frozen lobster tails on sale for $6.99 a lb here a couple of months ago. I bought 12 lbs. They were a bargain because without heads, they were cheaper than shrimps.

I would suggest take a little taste to check out the quality so there will not be last minute surprises. You never know why they would cook good lobsters to sell.

Then immediately freeze them in water in a plastic bag. This will prevent them from getting freezer burn.

Oh, welcome.

dcarch

• foodonastump
    10 years ago

Dcarch - thanks to you I saw that sale at Stop & Shop, too, but didn't act on it in time. Hopefully there's a next time; I agree that was a good deal. Not sure I agree with your taste test suggestion though. Thaw, taste, re freeze, thaw... I don't think that'd be doing the lobster any favors.

• jimster
    10 years ago

There you have it. All the advice above is good. Keep it simple. Start with a great ingredient, lobster meat, and don't do much to it.

The type of roll probably has more to do with tradition, style and aesthetics than taste. The sides are cut after baking rather than browned all around. I never thought about it but, as Teresa says, the New England type does resemble a piece of Texas toast folded in half. Use what is available.

John's suggestion of lobster bisque is a good one too. Not difficult and it makes great use of lobster flavor.

I've experimented with lobster ravioli. It has great potential visually and gastronomically but is tedious to make and can fall short of greatness in many different ways.

Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Lobster Roll Pics

• cooksnsews
    10 years ago

I would love to try a lobster roll, but they just don't do them here in the middle of the continent. However, I would positively GAG on any such thing if it were served to me on a cheapo white hot dog bun. Life is wayyyyy too short to eat crap bread.

• triciae
    10 years ago

"However, I would positively GAG on any such thing if it were served to me on a cheapo white hot dog bun. Life is wayyyyy too short to eat crap bread."

Hmmm, all I can think of is, "Gee, that's too bad cooksnsews is so rigid. She would miss out on some yummy food. New Englanders know that the top-split grilled roll is part of the lobster roll experience...ya don't mess with tradition."

There is a time and place for homemade artisan bread. And, there's a time and place for a "cheapo white hot dog bun." IMO, a key to good eats is knowing the time for each.

:)

/tricia

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    10 years ago

"----New Englanders know that the top-split grilled roll is part of the lobster roll experience...ya don't mess with tradition----"

When I was in the area, MacDonald's Lobster Rolls were amazing. Dripping with fresh lobsters on top-split grilled rolls.

dcarch

• caliloo
    10 years ago

And welcome JoanEileen! It is great to see lurkers come out and join us.

Amen Tricia!

I believe the state slogan of Texas may be Don't Mess With Texas, I would say the same about lobster rolls! LOL! There are definitely times when artisanal bread is great, but Don't Mess With my Lobster Roll!

Jim, I know you know better... a griddled top split bun is NOTHING like Texas Toast.

And I may be mincing words here, but the buns should be "griddled" on a flat griddle or pan, not grilled.

Alexa

This post was edited by caliloo on Wed, May 15, 13 at 7:37

• Teresa_MN
    10 years ago

Thanks for the link to photos Jim! There is a resemblence to Texas toast. I knew I was not losing my mind. :-)
    When I was a flight attendant I flew out of Boston for 6 months. I've eaten my share of lobster rolls but have never made one. Silly me that I assumed you would have a recipe for them. As disappointed as I am in you Jim - I will not chastise you for not having a recipe. LOL
    Alexa - I can see where a simple recipe would be better. The buttered, grilled bread and lobster can be the stars of this dish. I actually had a lobster roll once in the Boston area that not only had celery but it had tarragon in it. Not a flavor that paired well in my opinion. It actually dominated the roll and after 2 bites I ordered something else.

I should probably correct myself. I've eaten many lobster rolls in Boston - sans the roll itself. For whatever reason, at that time the rolls always appeared greasy to me to me. I'm not saying they were greasy - just that they did not appeal to me. I should add that grilled cheese repulsed me at the time also.

However, at THIS VERY moment, a soft, white, buttered and grilled roll stuffed with lobster with a touch of mayo sounds divine. Tastes change I guess - except when it comes to tator tot hot dish. I will NEVER eat that! hahaha!

Teresa - no longer repulsed by grilled cheese or any other grilled rolls

• ruthanna_gw
    10 years ago

I don't live in the midst of lobster roll territory (although I've enjoyed them many times when I've been there) so the traditional split top rolls are not usually available in local grocery stores. However, the grocery section of our Target store does stock them in the summer season.

• JoanEileen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My gosh, you people are the best! Everything I could think of to ask, you answered. My grocery does carry the Pepperidge Farms split top hot dog buns, so that's what I will get. I always use Hellman's mayo so have that.
    I love the idea of serving potato chips as a side----so easy. Planning to have a Marie Callendar silken chocolate ( I think that's what it's called) pie for dessert. And one of my daughters says I need three things on a plate, so I am considering a strawberry and a slice of kiwi. Or am I gilding the lily? Such happy problems to have to deal with.

• caliloo
    10 years ago

Hey JE

I'm glad you can get the top split Pepperidge Farm hot dog buns, they will be wonderful. And if you need a 3rd thing on the plate, several of the lobster pounds near my home town in Maine will serve a slice or two of Bread and Butter pickles on the side. Would that work for you?

Enjoy!

Alexa

• triciae
    10 years ago

Here's a fun blogger article on lobster rolls.

Alexa, note the pickles on top!

I live in Mystic (noted at the bottom of the article). Here, at our favorite lobster shack (Abbotts in the Rough) we get warm lobster on a toasted roll dripping in melted butter. Since I am not a fan of mayo - works well, for me, and is common in Connecticut. We trap our own lobsters, on a recreational permit, and they mostly go into lobster rolls.

dcarch, McDonalds has a surprisingly decent McLobster sandwich in a desperate pinch. :)

/tricia

Here is a link that might be useful: Lobster Rolls

• User
    10 years ago

I agree with DC's advice, to taste. I'd also want to know the store's policy on cooking lobster. Hopefully they were live (lively) lobsters and not dead or near dead when cooked.

Tricia, now that is a lobster roll I could eat. Cold lobster in a mayonnaise in a bun does not appeal to me. But fresh cooked, warm lobster in butter, on a warm bun sounds wonderful.

~Ann

• cooksnsews
    10 years ago

WOW! Who knew that one was being "rigid" if one preferred good food over tradition! Cheapo white hot dog buns are only suitable for wrapping cheapo hot dogs. And no, I won't eat those either.

• User
    10 years ago

Cooksnsews, I don't disagree with you on hot dog buns. I dislike them too. . When I grill hot dogs, I use baguettes for buns. Just cut them to size.

But, there is something to be said about tradition. (like my traditional canned peas (which I know makes many cringe) with hot chicken/turkey sandwiches. Diner food).

~Ann

• foodonastump
    10 years ago

Tricia, according to wiki the lobster roll originated in CT as you describe it - lobster meat warmed in butter. The attribute what they call the "lobster salad roll" to a place called Lobster Roll (aka "Lunch") in Amagansett, a beautiful small town between the Hamptons and Montauk. I had no idea. I've eaten there many times; a simple lobster roll will set you back over $20, and yes even at that price it's served in a cheap hot dog bun.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wiki

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    10 years ago

Nothing like a lobster roll. We travel north every summer and plan our road trip around a lobster roll on the way up and the way back. Perfection.
    I have often at home when pick up a few small frozen tails, will thaw, the stick a couple skewers through to keep them straight and pop them on the grill for 5 min or until pink. Good with a steak.

I'll have to write down my 'Shrimp-on-a-Squishy' recipe for the Lobster Roll lovers.

• triciae
    10 years ago

FOAS,

Thanks for the Wiki link. Us coastal Nutmeggers (the state's official nickname is "Nutmeg State" - don't ask, it's a crazy story) all know about the lobster roll's origination but keep our mouths shut to avoid conflict with Mainers. We just happily eat our lobster rolls dripping in melted butter and try to keep them a secret. lol

I had no idea about Amagansett but am not surprised considering its location. I love the eastern end of LI! It's frustratingly close. I can see it but it takes our Nordic Tug about 1-1/2-2 hrs to chug over to Orient Point. Just as well. Sag Harbor, Montauk, etc. would bankrupt us quickly. :)

This discussion of lobster rolls has decided our July 4 menu - lobster rolls, CT-style. Sides still to be decided. :)

Check out Abbott's Lobster in the Rough's website. It's a fun place. Very common for locals to bring along white tablecloths, candelabras, sterling flatware, the good china, and crystal wine glass in a picnic basket and set up for an Abbott's lobster roll dinner on the picnic tables to watch the boats going thru Mystic channel. Everybody in shorts, tees, and flip flops, of course.

Abbott's was voted by About.com, in 2012, as the best place to eat a lobster in New England. Bobby Flay is a frequent visitor also. What can I say? It's good eats, but keep it quiet. The lines are already ridiculous. lol

Check out their website - it's fun.

/tricia

Here is a link that might be useful: Abbott's Lobster in the Rough

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    10 years ago

The recipe posted above...i would cut out the sour cream.
    And just 2 tbsp mayo. I use the innermost tender celery stalks and chop very fine with the leaves. Make up the dressing ahead and toss with the coarse chopped lobster at the last minute before serving. No need to smother the lobster in so much mayo/sour cream. I serve on thin sliced ribbons of crispy romaine heart. (on a traditional toasted bun)

Classic Maine Lobster Rolls
    -1 lb. (1-1/2 cups) cooked lobster meat, thawed
    -1/4 cup green onion, chopped (i prefer chives and parsley)
    -1/2 cup celery, chopped
    -1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
    -1 Tsp. lemon juice (i like more lemon)
    -1 Tsp. Worcestershire sauce
    -1/3 cup mayonnaise (2 tbsp would be plenty)
    -1/3 cup sour cream (not necessary)
    -salt & pepper to taste

• jeri
    10 years ago

IâÂÂm in CA and I think it is criminal that in this day and age our McDonaldâÂÂs doesnâÂÂt sell lobster rolls too! Man - I would eat there several times a week if they did!

And I never knew about âÂÂtop split bunsâ before - I'll have to check my bread isle - but I doubt I will find them here. Criminal I say!

• triciae
    10 years ago

Yeah, Jeri, but we don't have In-Out Burger in New England. So, we eat lobster instead. :)

/tricia

• User
    10 years ago

The buns used for Lobster Rolls , are the same type of bun they used in the old Montreal Forum (Hockey) as hot dog buns.

~Ann

• coconut_nj
    10 years ago

In most areas of the country that I've been to, the Pepperidge Farms hot dog buns sold are the split top buns, so check for those in Ca. and elsewhere. Pepperidge Farms is one of the better air breads as far as that goes. Just sayin'.

All this lobster roll talk has me wanting one really bad. I like either way, with mayo or just freshly cooked in butter. I do like some celery if having mayo, a little crunch is nice, to me. Luckily I happen to have a nice lobster tail in the freezer and I'm the only one that likes it.

• jeri
    10 years ago

LOL Tricia! :-)