SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mudlady_gw

New Year's lobster story.

mudlady_gw
15 years ago

The lowest price on 12-30 was $6.99 per pound. I asked for four one-and-one-quarter pounders and found out that they proudly had much larger critters. I am a frim believer that smaller lobsters are sweeter and more tender. Anyway, after much stirring of the critters to pick the smaller ones, and after steaming, I had about 5.5 pounds. My son didn't want company on New Year's Eve (he didn't want to wait up until midnight), so we agreed I would go there at 1 PM on New Year's Day. The night before I cracked and picked the lobsters and suffered because they were VERY hard shelled. I did my favorite mix of lobster, one third Miracle Whip and two thirds mayonaise with a little chopped celery and onion. I couldn't find any New England Style hot dog rolls so I settled for regular. I brought some really fresh green leaf lettuce and felt I was going to offer his wife and him a special treat. As I trudged through the snow and into their house my son took some of the things I was carrying. The minute he noticed the special lettuce he insisted he eat Iceberg or nothing. Grrrrr! OK, we gather in their tiny kitchen, about as large as one might have in a tent camper, and laid out the ingredients for lobster rolls. The DIL hates shellfish but let me urge her to try a taste (not as big as a pea!) after which she made it clear that lobster is truly nasty. At about that time my son had made a lobster roll and taken a huge bite. He began making strange sounds which prompted his wife to ask if he were OK. Sorry guys, this is what I told her, "He's having an orgasm." He immediately agreed, made more noise, and then made a second roll. He has never had a lobster roll and I doubt their finances will ever allow him to buy one, so I really wanted him to experience one while I can (barely) afford it. I told him that before I had eaten two lobster rolls the night before, that bowl contained $37 of lobster. It's a shame it is so expensive here. After I started on my second roll he announced he was full, which I knew wasn't true. I suggested he transfer the remaining mix from my dish to one of theirs and he said didn't I want to take it back home. I told him I would enjoy having more but I wanted him to keep the leftovers. No discussion--he got a container and schlepped the remaining lobster salad into the container and away to the fridge. He them asked if he could keep the last two hot dog rolls. Feeling sorry for my DIL, I then produced a fabulous cheese cake and she was equally happy. I left shortly after, carrying my empty bowl and the unwanted lettuce. Several small cuts on my hands are still sore, but it was totally worth it to give my 35 year old child a new experience.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio