SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
whiteapple_gw

First year failure stories please!

whiteapple
13 years ago

Okay so this is my first year really gardening, coming into the season I was very ambitious and I tried to learn all I could about gardening. Im all alone on this gardening stuff all the stuff I learned was what I learned myself and I don't have any real gardening buddies around me. But for the most part my garden has failed and I am losing some hope though not all. I am learning new things and I am really going to have things a whole lot different next year. I easily get depressed in life and I am not really depressed just disappointed so I need some cheering up with some first year failure stories from everyone.

So far this year my failures:

1. Direct sowed cole veggie seeds which never did much so I bought transplants which then it got too hot for the cauliflower and cabbage so they won't produce until fall.

2. Peas did wonderful in my block until they got too tall and have fallen over and that might be why they are dying

3. Direct sowed root crops and maybe half have come up

4. Started seeds indoors the wrong way early (no grow lights and not in a sunny window)

5. Kale (which I LOVE) tastes bad since I didn't get it out soon enough with the sudden hot weather

6. The soil in my raised beds is mainly leaves which doesn't really help seeds to germinate

In my community garden

7. Over run with weeds should of mulched

8. Didn't amend soil well

9. All my tomatoes are doing bad - maybe I'll get 2 pounds out of the whole thing (26 plants)

BUT I HAVE LEARNED!

I can grow potatoes - Im at least doubling the amount I will grow next year

Im going to build a low/high tunnel/cold frame to get things out sooner next year

Im going to grow peas vertically next year

Im going to have tomatoes at home so I can baby them more next year

Im going to have better season rotations next year

Im pulling up stuff this weekend and will do mainly some beans to help build the soil for next year

Im going to grow biointensively

Im growing more lettuce

AND I am going to read MORE

Thanks for allowing me to vent!

Comments (22)