SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carol08_gw

AC replacement Qs -- please advise

carol08
15 years ago

Hi folks,

My AC just conked out and IÂm looking for some advice. The compressor is dead and the unit is at least 20 years old, so replacing the unit seems prudent. ItÂs either 2 or 2.5 tons (label is hard to read); repair person recommended replacing it with 2 tons (based on square footage), Trane 13 SEER, R-22. Quoted $3100 to replace unit, coil, & line set (he left a message; didnÂt specify the model #, so IÂll have to track that down on Mon). Other HVAC people (Carrier, Bryant, and American Standard reps) will be coming in for estimates early next week and I want to be sure that IÂm prepared for those visits. Here are my questions for you:

1. We have 2 AC units (and 2 furnaces) Âfor the east and west sides of the house. Do we need to (or is it advantageous to) replace both of them? The west AC still functions, though the tech needed to add some freon and it still didnÂt seem to be cooling the house that well afterwards (but maybe thatÂs just because the East AC was gone and the two sides of the house are not separated by walls or doors?). It looks very old, but itÂs not identical to the east unit so it could be a little newer (or older!); it must be at least 15 years old (how long weÂve been in the house).

2. ShouldnÂt I be insisting on R410A rather than R22?

3. I gather from reading this forum thatÂat least for furnacesÂitÂs important to do a load calculation rather than estimating based on square footage or size of the unit being replaced. Is this necessary for AC, too? And do load calculations for AC take basements into account? The contractor who based it on square footage said the basement was irrelevant. [East side has full basement (half finished, half unfinished) below. West side has partial basement (finished) and car garage below.]

4. Do the AC units have to be matched somehow to the furnaces or does any AC system work with any furnace? E.g., can one pair a high efficiency AC system with a low efficiency furnace? We have split systems, but our current gas furnaces are very old and certainly arenÂt high efficiency.

5. Assuming one could afford it (IÂm afraid to think about the price), is it necessary or advisable to replace the furnaces along with the AC units or is it OK to just wait until one or more of the furnaces dies and deal with it then? They are Magic Chef units and my guess is that they are 25 years old. As far as I can tell, they are running OKÂ

Sorry to ask so many basic questions, but IÂm new to the world of HVAC and worry about being taken advantage of or doing something stupid. Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments (7)