SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jmcqueen_gw

rheem ac a-coil replacement question

john scott
15 years ago

hi all:

i have been reading this forum with much enjoyment and have the following to run by the pro's. i have a 15 yr old rheem criterion 75k btu gas furnace and a 2.5T? rheem AC coil (Red-T-Coil), model RTB25ACU. assuming this means 2.5 ton??? here's the prob. i get good airflow from the furnace during the winter and my house is fairly evenly heated, but in the summer, the most pull-down i can get vs. the outside temp is 13 degrees. so, when it's 90 outside, it's a balmy 77 degrees inside the house. the AC won't turn off all day...and for most of the night. i have had our local AC guy out a couple of times and everything appears to be in order with the AC. no leaks, pressures check ok, etc... a couple of seasons ago, the tech did have to add some R22 when he discovered a small leak, which he also fixed. so....

i suspect that i simply have an undersized AC unit for my house. here's what my idea is, and tell me if this is even do-able and/or advisable. i am looking at bumping up the a-coil to a 3.0T or 3.5T (like a carrier CNRPV). would i be ok doing this without changing the compressor out? i suspect that the coil i have is just a piece of garbage based upon what i've read, but i don't want to spring for a $400 coil if what i am considering doing is just out of the question.

any advice/help would be greatly appreciated.

thx,

j

Comments (8)