SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jerry_nj

Old glass AGC fuses - what does voltage mean?

jerry_nj
13 years ago

My heat pump (a Waterfurnace geothermal) uses AGC glass fuses on the circuit board to protect 14 gauge wire running form the circuit board (relays on the CB) to my ground loop water pumps (two pumps, two speed system). These fuses are the (old, like old automobile) glass AGC and are rated at 10 amp and 250 volts. The pumps run on 240 vac.

I have had some problems (not yet resolved) with these fuses blowing and when going out to purchase replacement fuses I found Bussmann fuses in 250 volts in amp ratings up to 10 amps. They also offer identical looking fuses (where I was shopping) in 15, 20, 25 and 30 amp, but they are all rated at (only) 32 volts. What is it about the fuse that limits the voltage to 32 volts? I assume when operating below the burn-out current the voltage drop across the fuse is only a low voltage regardless of what the line voltage is. And, even if it isn't something to do with heating of the fusible element, how can the same glass structure in one case be safe at 250 volts and at only 32 volts in another?

Comments (5)