SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jinxjinx34

I'm clueless -- can you help with quote?

jinxjinx34
14 years ago

We live in Atlanta, large house with three levels. Current A/C units are builder-grade Lennox (according to sales guy), 4-ton on the main floor, 3.5-ton upstairs. They're rated 10 SEER, and were installed in 1996 when the house was built.

The basement unit is 2-ton, but it hardly ever gets used, so we're not looking to replace that one. The other two are supposedly toast (and indeed, our electric bills are outrageous).

Our furnaces are working fine. And, nothing was mentioned about air handlers (is that the blower)?

Anyhow. Guy from R.S. Andrews said he would install Lennox and Amana (Goodman?) units for the same cost, but mentioned that Amana came with vastly better warranties. He really pooh-poohed Trane, and said he didn't even want to discuss that brand. (I wasn't too fond of this guy.)

So. He did measure cubic feet in our home (forgot to ask how much), and said our current sizes were accurate -- 3.5 ton upstairs, 4 ton on the main floor. (I believe the upstairs unit is in the attic, and the main floor unit is outside, if it makes any difference.)

He then recommended dual fuel systems (heat pumps?) rated 14 SEER. The 4-ton system would be $7,639 and the 3.5-ton system would be $7,045. And, if we installed both at once, it would be 5% cheaper than that. That's for the unit and the coil, plus labor, etc.

My questions --

1. Is a dual fuel system definitely the way to go? Will our electric bills be even higher, as we'll be running that more than natural gas? Or, will we see significant savings? Georgia Power gives a $400 rebate per heat pump, but alas, we have Sawnee, which doesn't offer it.

2. How do Amana heat pumps stack up against Lennox? The guy didn't give me specific model numbers, although I know they install the Lennox Elite line. Should I be looking into other brands?

3. He said the $1,500 tax rebate didn't kick in unless we went to 15 SEER rating, but in order to do that, we'd have to install variable speed furnaces, which are several thousand dollars -- so we don't want to do that until ours die. Does that sound accurate?

4. What's the deal with the air handler? If the guy didn't mention them specifically, does that mean ours are fine?

5. The heat pumps seem to be about $1,000 more than regular A/C units, and then it seems to be another $1,000 jump from 13- to 14- SEER. Are both worth it?

What else should I be asking? I am totally lost here -- would very much appreciate any advice!

Comments (2)