SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maxinmontrose

I’m enthusiastic, but basically clueless!

maxinmontrose
6 years ago

Citrus in pots. I’ve gotten in over my head with container grown dwarf citrus. After spending days reading many many threads, I’m starting to find out just how little I know, and that it’s amazing any of my trees are still alive. Soooo.....any help greatly appreciated!!!

Plan to bare root and repot about 10 trees next week, using Famous Al’s 5-1-1 mix. I live in the Rockies so all trees get moved in the grow dome for the winter, which precludes using gritty mix because of the weight (I think).

What I can source locally for pine bark fines is bags of “Soil Pep”. Anyone have any experience/familiarity with this product? It seems like it should work, possibly without adding the peat. (I think).

i did find very coarse perlite...do I need to wash it or anything? There is some dust on it. How coarse is TOO coarse? It’s definitely much larger than the bags of stuff at Home Depot

i hope to mix the bark fines, the perlite, and lime in a large trough and soak it for a day or so before using. Is this necessary? Should it sit longer?

After being thoroughly confused by all the different opinions about adding Osmocote, or another CRF, have decided against it. Will be using the Foliage Pro 9-3-6 as regular fertilizer. Yes? No?

Plan to remove trees from their existing pots, and soak them in water for a bit to remove all existing potting medium, which is most definitely not good stuff. Then deal with the state of the roots as best I can...prune? Leave them alone unless they have dead areas?

Perched water tables. Ballast. Wicks. I think I’ve got the concept, just really have no idea how to decide what to do! the trees will be going into large #25 nursery pots. Considering going the ballast route if I can find something that doesn’t add a lot of weight. Would plastic water bottles work?

Thanks in advance to any of you who have the time to help me! It’s so great to have a place like this to ask questions of people who have so much knowledge and experience,and are willing to share. I’m a little overwhelmed because there is a lot of expense and effort involved in this undertaking, so trying to do it right the first time. (Of course that doesn’t count the times before when I did EVERYTHING wrong)!!!

in the silver lining department....my chiropractor will make out like a bandit!

Barbara

Comments (20)