SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lucybear05_gw

Clueless - Cookware Question

Lucybear05
11 years ago

The cookware board always recommends trying here too, so I am cross-posting in hopes someone will take pity on me and help the clueless cook:

I desperately need help. We have just built our dream home. We move in 2 weeks. We are going from a tiny awful kitchen, including cheap little fridgidaire 4 burner ceramic cooktop. We have always just used a set of pots that my parents gave us when we got married (which THEY got as a wedding gift in 1971!). As for pans, we have just randomly purchased a non-stick pan at the local housewares store or Walmart or whatever as needed. So that about sums up our current situation.

Our new house has a 6-burner dual fuel range/oven from wolf. It is gorgeous. I am terrified of it.

Neither hubby or I are gourmet cooks. But we DO cook regularly (ie. we don't eat out a lot). We have a 2.5 year old, and twins are due in August. So we value family time and value family meals. But we do simple cooking. Breakfast on a Saturday might be pancakes and scrambled eggs with fruit. Lunch might be a simple quiche and basic salad. Dinner might be homemade spaghetti sauce, pasta and salad. Our meals are mostly kid friendly - chili, pasta and chicken, chicken pot pie, etc.

OK, so that's the background. We have the budget to buy what is needed in terms of good pots and pans for this basic kind of family cooking. I have been trying to research, but am totally overwhelmed. HELP ME!

If you were me, tell me EXACTLY what you would buy. THANKS!

Comments (33)

• colleenoz
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I would get a set of maybe three stainless steel saucepans with heavy bottoms in assorted sizes from small to medium to large. If you plan to make family sized amounts of soup add a heavy bottomed stock pot. Have duplicates of sizes you think you might use a lot.
    For fry pans and stewing pots I love cast iron. A cast iron griddle will also be handy for pancakes, French toast, burgers etc. Once seasoned your cast iron is relatively easy to care for. Just never pour cold liquid into a hot pan as it will crack.

• Lucybear05
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Great thanks! Any suggestions on brands?

• Related Discussions

clueless newb with winter prep questions

Q

Comments (1)
    It sounds like you did fine with the amendments you added last year. Sand doesn't break down to dust in a years time so you won't need to add that for a long time, if ever. However, the compost does break down and that has to be replaced. In my own garden, each early Spring, I do turn in rotted leaves that I've raked off the beds ( I have these because I mulch all my beds with fallen leaves each autumn) I also turn in the first cut of the lawn and maybe a scattering of rotted manure from a commercial bag I get at Home Depot. A couple of weeks later I turn the beds again because by that time early weed seeds have begun to sprout, I'll turn them again a week before planting. I like adding grass clippings to the bed a few weeks before planting because nothing (IMHO) is better for attracting worms to a bed. The worms aerate the soil and also leave behind their "behind leavings" (ehem) and that is one of the very best fertilizers you could ever have in your garden. Honestly, if what worked well the year before is okay with you, then repeat the process. I don't think you need to increase the sand content, but the OM (organic materials) will need to be replaced. Obviously, year to year those may vary on what's available if your a freebie scrounger, but if you purchase your OM then you can repeat based upon your budget. T
    ...See More

A Question About Buying Non-Stick Cookware: Is any of it safe????

Q

Comments (34)
    Pecan: Thanks for the update. I'm disappointed as well. I thought we could have lunch at Sample House, which is close-ish to the Moss Farm fields, if that's where you might have had your tournament. It's a sweet little shop that sells gift items and kitchen things, Crocs, baby gifts, candles, gift wrap, cute pet stuff and lots of other unusual things. It's a fun place to wander around. They have a little restaurant called the Soup Shop in the store that's open from 11-2 every day (except Sundays). Lake Highlands High School seems like another soccer tournament location, but I know that there are fields everywhere (I've been to most of them). Keep me posted if your plans change. Thank you. Fly: Someone told me that Hormel is making nitrate-free lunch meat. This friend also told me that Monsanto "invented" sodium nitrate, which is a preservative, and that Monsanto knows this substance causes cancer, but Monsanto makes so much money off of sodium nitrate that it does everything possible to make certain that it stays on the market. How sad.
    ...See More

Another clueless meat question

Q

Comments (8)
    I'm in the camp with those who never salt uncooked meat. It draws the moisture out. For anyone trying to monitor or lower their salt intake, it's easier at the plate stage. We've also switched to sea salt (wow what deliciousness!) and the stores all have the little adjustable grinders (pepper too) so people can put small flakes or larger granules. I think you get more "pow" out of the salt flavor that way, too, direct contact with the tongue makes a little go a long way. Never met a meat/savory recipe that I followed exactly. Either I don't have something, want more of something, don't like something or just have a modification I want to try. They're really just to let you know what the author did, so feel free to get in there and tinker with them, make them your own. Savory dishes allow for enormous leeway and creative license whereas baking is often very scientific and the slightest change can have profound repercussions.
    ...See More

Induction cookware questions

Q

Comments (7)
    I got my Oneida Artisan non-stick skillet at BB&B in 2012. I like it, and it was not expensive. I also like the non-stick skillets from an Italian company - TVS - that I found at TJ Maxx. I have both clad-all-the-way and plate-at-the-bottom kinds of pans on my induction. Theoretically, the clad all the way ones should cook better, I suppose, but I honestly don't see a lot of difference. The fully clad ones are a lot heavier.
    ...See More
  • User
    11 years ago

How exciting. And you'll grow to love that stove.

You'll need heavy, very flat bottom pots and pans. You can find good sets from Calphalon or Cuisinart and a few other manufacturers. You should browse a place like Bed, Bath and Beyond, pick them up so you know how they feel in your hands. Some handles are more comfortable than others, and some are just too heavy. They will have other brands too.

I had to replace my smaller pieces of cookware, when I remodeled my kitchen - mostly Revereware pieces, because they fell off the burners of my new cooktop. My Farberware is OK and I'm still using it 40 years after the wedding - they outlasted the marriage. I didn't have to replace any of my bigger pans and stockpots because they are Farberware.

I got some heavy stainless and some black anodized - I really like those.

I'd stay away from the REALLY expensive stuff - not worth the money and too many warnings about how to use them. Which is silly, IMO.

Good luck and enjoy.

• JXBrown (Sunset 24, N San Diego County)
    11 years ago

Get a nice set of stainless. It doesn't have to be one of the super expensive sets. A big stock pot, 2 or 3 sauce pans, a stainless skillet and a non-stick one if you like those and you should be set. I have a non-stick Scanpan which was pricey, but the rest were Sitram from Costco and a Crate and Barrel label stock pot and I do fine. I live in a big house on a golf course in a fancy zip code and the cookware patrol has not dropped by yet to kick me out of the neighborhood.

• Lucybear05
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OK, this is great. So what is a good price point, where you are getting a good product, but not paying for top of line ridiculous? Like what is a reasonable price range to pay for a good medium or large size pan? This will help steer me in the store. I am not afraid to pay good money for a good product, but I agree I have neither the inclination nor the need for top of line super expensive.

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    11 years ago

"----We have always just used a set of pots that my parents gave us when we got married (which THEY got as a wedding gift in 1971!). ---"

Just use those cookware. Don't buy anything.

Get use to the wonderful new range for 6 months, give yourself plenty of time to do more research, get to know your cooking needs with the new range and wait for sales, then go for the ultimate.

Just MHO.

dcarch

• User
    11 years ago

I got a really nice set from Canadian tire a few years ago. It does not have a SS fry pan but I prefer cast iron or no stick for them. I absolutely love the soup pot. I got it on sale just before christmas for $199.00 and it does go on sale quite often.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lagostina Pots

• User
    11 years ago

I agree, find what you like and look for sales, you can usually save about 50%, even at Macy's, certainly online.

Also head to Tuesday Morning or one of the other stores like that, you can usually find good quality individual pieces, sometimes even sets for a great price.

• anoriginal
    11 years ago

If're a yard saler or thrift store shopper, look for "name" cast iron... like Griswold, Wagner, Lodge. Often dirt cheap and easily revived even if they look totally cruddy... self-clean cycle of oven wil reduce any unknown gunk to ashes... then reseason and USE.

I do like to to have 1-2 decent non-stick pieces around. HIGHLY recommend Calphalon! Not terribly expensive and the return/replace policy is FANTASTIC. About this time last year sent back 2 skillets and FAVORITE sauce pan that just weren't that non-stick any more. They were easily 15 yo and not abused... wood/plastic tools or VERY careful use of metal stuff. NO receipts necessary, just a short form to fill in at their web site with a description of pieces and problems. In about 10 days got BRAND NEW replacements.

• arley_gw
    11 years ago

I'm gonna differ a bit here, and recommend you NOT get a matching set. Instead, look at each piece of cookware you're thinking about getting, and saying "What will this allow me to do that I can't do well now?"

Before running off to buy a bunch of stuff, take 20 or 30 minutes and read the posting at the link. It's involved, but if you retain only 20 percent of it you'll still know more than the average cookware salesperson.

What do you want to do? That Wolf will be very responsive, and you'll want to eventually take it to the limit. It wouldn't be much fun owning a Ferrari if you never went over 40.

Having said that, here are my admittedly opinionated thoughts on what I'd equip the kitchen with:

1. A few heavy aluminum nonstick skillets. Sam's club has some excellent ones for not too much cash: their 14" one can cook a huge amount of food, and it costs around $28. Get a few in sizes appropriate for your uses. Eventually they'll wear out, but they are a great buy even if you have to replace them every few years. For safety reasons, you can't bring nonstick to 'smoking hot' (it'll kill your parrot, and it's probably not too good for you either). In case you think that real cooks don't use nonstick, just know that Julia Child herself was a big enthusiast of nonstick skillets.

2. I have some great old cast iron skillets, and if you can come across some old Wagner or Griswold, scoop it up. But the modern stuff isn't as good--heavier, finish not as slick--and you might consider a carbon steel pan instead. A carbon steel fry pan is about half as heavy as a cast iron one, and once they season up they're nearly as nonstick as Teflon, and with any reasonable care they'll outlast YOU. I have a couple of brands--deBuyer from France and Paderno from Italy--and I prefer the Paderno. Go to Amazon and search for 'Paderno Carbon Steel Frying Pan" and see if you might be interested. They come in a variety of sizes.

3. A few casseroles made of enameled cast iron (ECI) are nice to have: start a dish on the stove, then put it in the oven for long, slow cooking. Le Creuset and Staub are the big names, but they're really expensive. I have some, but also have some Lodge ECI pieces which seem to work nearly as well as the Le Creuset for about a third the cost.

4. Now, here's a recommendation no one else has made. Get a pressure cooker. No s***, really. It's especially valuable for a family. You'll be able to cook a lot of good comfort food in a short time; fork tender pot roast in less than an hour, a huge batch of chili in a half hour, steamed artichokes in fifteen minutes instead of an hour, foolproof risotto which cooks itself without any attention, while you're finishing up something else on the stove. Do a forum search for pressure cooking; you'll find a lot of enthusiasts here. Also visit missvickie.com and hippressurecooking.com; both are good sites for pressure cooking newbies. What brands? Kuhn Rikon is the Mercedes of PC's--but you pay for that elegance--and Fagor is the Ford F-150 utilitarian pressure cooker. I have both, and I really don't know if the premium price for the KR is justified. One set I have and can heartily recommend is the Fagor Splendid line. They make a set with an 8 qt stockpot and a 4 qt saute pan, a pressure lid that fits both and a non-pressure lid that fits both, along with a couple of other items. Here's Amazon's listing:

http://www.amazon.com/Fagor-Splendid-5-Piece-Pressure-Cooker/dp/B0009MGNO6/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1364150505&sr=1-1&keywords=Fagor+Splendid+multi

Not bad: for less than $100 including shipping, you get a pressure cooker set, and the pots are very good quality in and of themselves (i.e., for regular cooking as well without the pressure lid). I saw Alton Brown use what looked like a Fagor pressure cooker on the Good Eats episode where he made chili, and I saw Mario Batalli use a Kuhn Rikon pressure cooker on Iron Chef.

5. As far as saucepans, I'd go with stainless as long as there is a disc of something else (aluminum or copper) on the bottom. Pure stainless is a lousy conductor. That little bit of copper on the bottom of Revere ware is pretty thin, and doesn't appreciably change the thermal conduction of the pan. (My mother in law got a Wolfgang Puck set for around $99 from Sam's, and they meet her needs just fine). If you get to the point where you're doing very temperature-sensitive sauces, it might justify getting pans with the thermal conductive layer all the way up the sides (e.g., All-Clad; and if you win the lottery, Falk Culinair).

6. A roasting pan or two that you can put on top of the stove. One big enough for a roasting chicken, another big enough for a small turkey. You roast a bird, see, then drain off the fat from the roasting pan, then on a stovetop burner you deglaze the stuff in the pan to make a great gravy. Can't do that with a disposable aluminum foil roasting pan.

7. For utilitarian stuff like mixing bowls, cutting boards and the like, check out a restaurant supply store or the restaurant supply section of Sam's. Unpretentious utilitarian stuff, often made to a better standard than home kitchen stuff.

Here is a link that might be useful: understanding stovetop cookware

This post was edited by arley on Sun, Mar 24, 13 at 15:31

• chas045
    11 years ago

I do have a couple little Calphalon non-stick pans that have held up very well for several years. Nice to know they have a super return policy klseiverd.

I am surprised that no one has recommended a set from COSTCO. Consumer Reports has rated the costco brand highly. I also saw that they had something from Kitchen Aid label. Costco had 3 different sets of stainless. I haven't had to buy anything for 30 years so no personal experience. I believe these sets were around $200.

Does everyone have something against COSTCO?

• arley_gw
    11 years ago

Chase, the last time I checked their website, Costco didn't have that Kirkland Stainless set that Consumer Reports raved over; maybe it's discontinued. I saw it in the store and picked it up; nice heft to it, and it apeared to be very well made. It would be a shame if it's no longer available.

• arley_gw
    11 years ago

Although, this item from Costco is their Kirkland Signature Stainless, and it looks like a steal for $49.

The set that CR was raving about was in this same series. I see an unused set is available on eBay for $255.

I don't think we're supposed to link to eBay listings, but if you go there and do a search for 'Kirkland Signature Stainless' you'll find it. While I said I didn't want to buy a matching set, something of this quality might tempt me.

Here is a link that might be useful: stainless casserole

• ryseryse_2004
    11 years ago

We got at set at Sam's Club for around $200 many years ago and they are every bit as nice as my Calphalon pieces.

• chas045
    11 years ago

Lucybear; one other issue. You said 'overwhelmed' presumably because there are many choices; but you also said 'terrified' and that doesn't sound like it has much to do with pans, but rather with gas and flames.

My guess is that Everyone who grew up with a gas stove just thinks they have a stove. Before three years of age like everyone else, they learned not to put their hand on the hot stove and after catching a towel on fire and smoldering a pot holder, realized it was wise not to drape flammables on it.

I can imagine that those who grew up with electric might think that open flames and gas means that they may any day be blown up in an inferno. Even without modern igniters, we managed not to do this. An unlit open burner (hard to do these days) creates an immediate obvious smell. I also expect that towels and pot holders burn with electric too, just not as fast, giving one the chance to leave the room before problems arise and compound.

The only issue I can easily imagine since I was an open door away, is for someone to be frying a big load of bacon, get distracted: perhaps running after and tending an injured child, and have the bacon grease vapors ignite, AND then decide to carry this belching conflagaration down and out the door. I was fortunately not involved, but now when I cook anything greasy, I Always know the location of a lid that could cover and smother the container. I suspect that a hot electric burner might ignite also.

• User
    11 years ago

I've noticed that the cookware sets all seem to have glass tops. I, personally, don't like glass covers, and that would kind of stop me if I had to buy cookware today.

I'm not sure if there is still cookware that has metal covers.

• lizbeth-gardener
    11 years ago

I would agree with a lot of what arley said in first post. I love my pressure cooker. It keeps things moist and cooks quickly-especially great for times you didn't plan ahead or are short on time, but read the book/instructions thoroughly before using. And get at least a 6 qt ,if not an eight because you can only fill 2/3 full.

I have a full set of the professional anodized Calphalon(aluminum, not non-stick) and use those pieces a lot. I have a couple of not expensive, non-stick skillets, that get replaced every couple of years. Glad to know about Calphalon's policy on the non-stick.I believe they sell those for a set of two for 49.95 @BBB, with a 20% coupon would be even better.

I especially love the few pieces of All-Clad(tri-ply) that are the top of the line (charcoal on the outside and SS inside) found at TJMaxx long ago. If you don't mind made in China (I do), there are SS Tri-ply by Tramontina and sold by Wal-Mart online. There are different grades of these, so get the tri-ply if you go this route.

A round Le Creuset dutch oven(enamel over cast iron) is on my "to buy" list, even though they are expensive, think I would really use it a lot and they last forever. And since I go through meat/food thermometers very fast, have decided to treat myself to a Thermopen instant read thermometer with the water proof cover.

I have an old Griswold cast iron skillet in garage waiting to be cleaned. Think that will be fun to season and use.

Probably a lot more info than you needed. Congratulations on your new home and enjoy that new range!

• justsaying
    11 years ago

When I was newly married all we had was cheap cookware. Many years later I invested in a set of All-Clad stainless steel. I wish I would have bought them sooner because they cook so much better than the cheap stuff (copper core for even heat). Buy a set now and you will have them the rest of your life - well worth the price. I use every piece in the set (except maybe the stock pot not as much now that there is only 2 of us). I would also recommend a cast iron skillet and a Le Creuset pot. You will have these forever and not have to think about pots and pans again and will be handing them down to your children. These are my true workhorses in my kitchen. As lizbeth said above, I see various pieces at TJ Maxx and Home Goods at good deals if you don't want to spend the money on a set.
    Best wish on your new house...how exciting!

• subrosa
    11 years ago

I just bought a 10" & 12" stainless steel frying pan set at COSTCO for $29.95. They have a heavy base for good heat distribution. They are very good quality with metal handles (with a good rounded design that's easy to hold) so they can go in the oven to finish off some dishes. The handles do not get hot when used on top of the stove altho' I have an electric stove; gas may be different.

There was a set with more pieces available but I didn't really look closely as I only needed fry pans.

• Lucybear05
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the great advice everybody. I am going to start shopping around this weekend!

• cynic
    11 years ago

I generally avoid sets of cookware. Usually there's a "20" piece set that includes utensils and pieces you don't use. I like to get the pieces I need. I want lids for everything. I can't understand not having a lid for each piece.

Use what you have for now. When you decide you want to add something or replace something, get the one you like. You probably would like a couple pieces of cast iron, a piece or two of non-stick, etc. No set will come like that.

Are you concerned about everything "matching". If so, you'll have more trouble and it'll cost you more. If not, you can get a fabulous setup.

Good luck and enjoy the new home.

• Cooksmart
    11 years ago

The best cookware nowadays is made of Titanium. You can research it on the internet. Been using using that for 4 years now and its really amazing. I don't cook before, but now I am enjoying it. There are so many brands of course, Up to you to choose.

• User
    11 years ago

Hmm...cooksmart joined this morning to post that recommendation.

• Teresa_MN
    11 years ago

Cooksmart also posted on the "I can't peel and egg" thread with his/her method for hard boiling eggs.

I don't believe Cooksmart is a spammer which is what you are implying momj47 - isn't it?

JMO

• User
    11 years ago

Just info Canadian Tire has pots on sale 70% off until April 4th
    Lagostina, Kitchen Aid and Cuisinart and just for info the lagostina's will work on an induction stove not sure about the others.

• User
    11 years ago

Yes, cooksmart posted on two threads the "info" about titanium cookware. When the first posts of a "new member" appear to be spam, then yes, I believe that person is a spammer.

• sushipup1
    11 years ago

A spammer is someone trying to link to their website or promote a specific product. With a link or brand names.

This didn't meet the sniff test IMHO, it's not spammy at all.

I'd apologize.

This post was edited by sushipup on Sun, Mar 31, 13 at 13:42

• Teresa_MN
    11 years ago

I must have missed Cooksmart's third post. The only two I noticed were this one and the egg peeling one - nothing was said about titanium there.

That said, nothing about his/her post says spammer to me. I think the best policy for addressing a spammer is to link the thread to an email to GW. I've done that at least 3 times recently. The suspect posts have been removed immediately.

Cooksmart - welcome to the forum. I am going to look into titanium cookware. I hope to see more of you here!

Teresa

• Lucybear05
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OK, so I have researched and looked around and held a few pans and gotten a look at a bunch of stuff. I think I am NOT going to buy a set. I am going to buy the pieces I know we will use. I will buy a couple of non-stick "whatever brand" for cheap - who cares if they need to be replaced once per year, and nanny can beat those up making grilled cheese sandwiches, etc.

I am leaning towards the All-Clad Tri Ply for the nicer pieces I know I will use a lot. They carry this line at Williams-Sonoma, and it just so happens that I have a ton of VISA reward points that can be converted into a bunch of gift cards at Williams-Sonoma.

Thoughts on the All-Clad Tri-Ply? Good idea? Disastrous?

• pkguy
    11 years ago

I happened into Giant Tiger last week and noticed they had a lot of T-Fal Pro-Organic 11 or 12" ceramic fry pans. for $12 so I couldn't resist. Peggy Fleming should skate so nice across a pan as my fried eggs in this thing LOL

Like all non stick you do have to use a minute amount of oil.

• ntt_hou
    11 years ago

I agree with Dcarch, give yourself sometime to get used to with your new kitchen. Then, do more research.

I did just this. I used inexpensive pots and pans for awhile when I first moved in this home. After a few years, I knew how I wanted to fixed up the kitchen. I got it refaced and fixed it up to be more wheelchair accessible.

After almost a year later, I began to research and shop for decent cookwares. I've learned that plain stainless steel (SS) cookware is not good enough. I've learned about multi-ply such as tri-ply and 7-ply cookwares.

I narrowed down to Calphalon SS tri-ply. I purchased a set because it was more cost effective. However, I chose a small set and a set that included most of the size cookwares that I know I'd be using. I've actually been using them all. Then, I began to add with the individual pieces that I need further. I later added another non-popular brand name SS tri-ply set that were made in 1 piece of tri-ply as the Calpholon's. That set worked well too.

When using the SS cookware correctly, they do fairly well with non-stick including making sunny-side-up eggs. As for extra non-stick and thicker pans, I chose cast ironed pans.

All of these satisfied my budget and my cooking needs. They still are after 5 years of using them.

• lizbeth-gardener
    11 years ago

It's hard for any of us to tell you what is best, because we all cook differently and have different likes/needs,etc.
    I have a niece who chose(for her bridal registry) the same Calphalon that I have and love, and she hated it

My Calphalon set was not the biggest set, but had the main pieces that I wanted and the set was less expensive to buy than if I had bought each piece I wanted separately.

Except for my Calphalon set, I have picked my pots and pans up over time. Some I had used at someone else's house, some looked like they would meet my needs and some I researched.

I picked up my All Clad, piece by piece, when I happened upon it. I have found out over time what works for me and what I like and have added to my collection and given away accordingly.

Since you don't want a set, you might just start off buying one piece of the All Clad that you know you will use and see how you like it.

This post was edited by lizbeth-gardener on Sat, Apr 20, 13 at 0:57

• foodonastump
    11 years ago

I like calphalon tri ply but I've not seen it lately. As for all clad, your 20% off BBB coupons will work despite what the fine print says. At least they do for me. Also, if you are near a wm Sonoma outlet you really can save if you hit it at the right time.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH