SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
erikanh

Farmhouse sink garbage disposal flange for $150+??

erikanh
15 years ago

The farmhouse sink I really want is one of my splurge items, very pricey (to me) at $1200.

I was getting ready to order it when I noticed that the basket strainer, or in my case garbage disposal flange, doesn't come included and must be ordered separately. This little piece will cost me an additional $157!

and the stopper is an additional $75!

Is this normal? Would I be asking for trouble if I tried to find a flange and stopper the same size for a more reasonable price?

Comments (20)

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

Happy New Year, Friend!

You know what we did? We just used the pieces which came with the disposal -- we didn't purchase any of these pieces from our sink manufacturer (Bates & Bates).

I'm sorry I cannot now recall, what kind of disposal are you getting / did you get? Are you sure those pieces aren't included with the disposal? Oh wait, are you on a septic and so can't have a disposal? Hmm .... In that case, obviously I am of zippo help!

When will your project (demo / install) get started? I am so excited about your kitchen!

• bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago

HD carries what you need for a Shaw's sink for about $75 (online only, at least not at my local stores). Look on the garbage disposal page.

• Related Discussions

• astridh
    15 years ago

It would be helpful if you stated the model of the sink that you want as well as the color of the flange you want (should match the faucet) and the model of the garbage disposal that you want.

Rohl makes a flange for their sinks which is quite expensive. I think Insinkerator makes a cheaper one. But, it has the word "Insinkerator" on it, which annoyed me.

I have a Franke sink (fireclay but not farmhouse) which needed a deeper flange, and I managed to find something cheaper (in plain stainless which was a close enough match for my brushed nickel faucets). I later found out that Franke makes their own flanges, but they only fit to their own garbage disposals, and I had already bought an Insinkerator.

So, provide a few more details, and good luck.

• wa8b
    15 years ago

Unless you want some special finish on the disposer flange and stopper, the disposer will come with a stainless steel flange and a stopper in the box. You don't need to buy those pieces separately at all.

• claybabe
    15 years ago

If it is a Rohl sink, you will definitely need a longer/deeper flange. Order from HD in advance to avoid the outrageous prices you list.

• Buehl
    15 years ago

Check FaucetDirect.com. Aren't all sink holes the same size?

Even though the InSinkerator GD I have came w/a disposal flange & cover, the quality of the SS didn't seem the best, so I ordered a Kohler Disposal Flange (the cover came with it). The Kohler is far nicer than the InSinkerator!

BTW...the finish of the faucet and disposal flange (or strainer, for that matter) do not have to match. In fact, if you have a nickel faucet, do NOT get a nickel strainer/flange. Nickel finishes are ruined by many household cleaners. I would get a SS flange and/or strainer.

If you have an ORB or other finish faucet, ask here b/c I don't remember what other finishes are also easily damaged.

The one I bought is currently going for $26.15 on FaucetDirect...Brushed SS (it isn't yellow like the picture shows on the website). (BTW...order from FaucetDirect, not ImprovementDirect. FaucetDirect is "owned" by ImprovementDirect, but FaucetDirect has a better return policy, or at least it did when I ordered my Faucets, DuoStrainers, & Disposal Flange from them.)

Here's a picture of all my components together. The second picture is an annotated picture I did for someone awhile ago to point out the mix of finishes and manufacturers and how they all go very well together (but that pic is busy!)

Here is a link that might be useful: FaucetDirect: Kohler K-11352 Disposer Flange

• golddust
    15 years ago

We just used the disposal flange and stopper on our Bates & Bates ss farm sink. The sink was so expensive, I couldn't imagine coughing up extra for these pieces.

• missopinion47
    15 years ago

I agree with buehl, the Insinkerator flanges are cheap and awful looking. I believe we paid about $150 for the Kohler flange and it was worth every penny. It looks great and face it, we all spend some amount of time looking down into the sink. You chose a nice sink and this is just part of the cost of it, don't diminish your nice sink by putting some cheap flange in it, you won't be happy.

wa8b: kudos to you for correctly using "disposer" instead of the oft used but incorrect: disposal (corruption of an old brand Dispose-All). But wa, the flange and stopper that come with the disposer are awful, functional yes, but aesthetically unacceptable.

• claybabe
    15 years ago

If the sink is made of fireclay it is thicker thank most sinks and the flange that comes with the disposal will not reach from the sink through the thickness of the sink and grasp the disposal. THis does not apply to stainless sinks, which are much thinner. The fireclay is about an inch thick.

erikanh, are you talking about a stainless farmhouse sink or a fireclay farmhouse sink?

• erikanh
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions!

Brooke, Happy New Year! I haven't purchased my disposer yet but I'm planning to get an ISE based on favorable reviews I've read here. We do have septic but my GC will be installing it after inspection. Demo starts Monday and cabinets ship in 2 weeks. Pray for us!

The sink is a Whitehaus fireclay farmhouse model 4030 (can't post a pic cuz I'm on my blackberry). buehl thanks for the tip about avoiding nickel ... I'll go for the SS.

I agree that I don't want to mar the look of my sink with a cheapo looking flange, but I would like to find something nice looking for less if at all possible.

Erika

• wa8b
    15 years ago

Heavens! I never realized I've had an eye-sore in the bottom of all my kitchen sinks for years. It's never bothered me, but then, at least it's installed right side up, so that the name Insinkerator is at the top.

Otherwise, I'm sure most people have missed it -- or they're just too polite to comment. I wonder if they talk about me behind my back? ("Psst!....did you see that aesthetic abomination in the sink??? What a philistine!")

Anyway, if it's worth $150+ to some folks to have a flange sans lettering....More power to 'em. It's people like that who will save the economy. I'd rather buy a couple of bottles of nice wine with my spare 150 smackers.

• erikanh
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oops sorry I posted the wrong model. Should have been Herbeau Luberon 4603.

I don't mind if the flange says Insinkerator as long as it fits and it's shiny (not cheap plastic).

Here is a link that might be useful: herbeau luberon farm sink

• salmon_slayer
    15 years ago

not all fireclay sinks need the deeper flange. The Rohl Allia do not, the Rohl Shaw (farmhouse) do. They have this note:

*NOTE:Due to sink thickness,
    ISE-type Disposal with
    Extended Flange #ISE10082
    or ROHL 733 Basket Strainer
    is recommended
    Â White
    Â Biscuit

I could not tell from the website you listed but would not be surprised that you might need an extended flange. The stopper is the killer.... wow you might check with ISE and see what they say for applications of their extended flange

• missopinion47
    15 years ago

I certainly didn't mean to imply anyone was inferior for having an Insinkerator flange. It is a personal perference. When I look at the herbeau sink, I see quite an elegant kitchen appointment (it is just lovely) and it it seems discordant to have a more industrial or workaday (not bad things in the correct context) drain flanges.
    The Insinkerator flange isn't plastic as I recall, it was a little shiny but not too bad. Again, it is a personal aesthetic.

• missopinion47
    15 years ago

p.s. Homeclick.com has the flange for $109.

• erikanh
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for that link, missopinion. I found this polished chrome extended flange on Faucet Depot for $45, and I think it looks fine. The stopper is only $17!

• missopinion47
    15 years ago

Oh, this is lovely indeed. I really like the simplicity and the stopper is really great, the knob has a most pleasing shape. Our water is very hard (mineral rich) so we got the brushed stainless so it wouldn't show water spots so badly but if I didn't have the water issue I'd get the one you have found, I think it is sweet!

Your sink is SO very elegant that I think this fine simple drain surround (with no lettering to distract) will set it off beautifully. I know I offended some here but I think if two of your sinks were side by side with the flange above and the Insinkerator flange to compare/contrast this one would win in terms of beauty and style.
    best of luck and please share pics when it is all put together.

• golddust
    15 years ago

Yikes! To think I put the "disposer" brand flange on my $3,200.00 Bates & Bates farm sink - what a gross oversight - then again, when I'm old and grey and needing replacement parts, I won't have to climb under the sink to remember what brand it is. It says "In-Sink-Erator - Pro Disposer" right on the flange.

• mamadadapaige
    15 years ago

Ha! I love it when I find people even more particular than me! I have had the Insinkerator flange and didn't even know it! Seriously, I notice EVERYTHING, yet this didn't register with me. bizarre...

our flange goes with the GD which is the only thing we re-used from the original kitchen. It is on my new Elkay sink which does not look new at all. Cannot get the thing clean. The Franke was so much easier. UGGGH... have to try barkeeper's friend at the recommendation of other GWers.

Erika, you must be getting close??

• erikanh
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, I would have been totally fine with the Insinkerator flange, lettering and all, but the one above was cheaper. Some webstores charge as much as $75 for the Insinkerator flange!

Hi Karen! I guess we're getting close? Demo starts on Monday, appliances are all ordered except my ovens (waiting for the new model to come out), new doors and windows will be delivered soon, cabinets ship in 2 weeks. I'll be spending the weekend emptying all my cabinets and moving furniture. They're taking down all the dry wall from the ceilings in the kitchen, dining room and family room and knocking down a wall, so I expect a huge mess.

I still haven't chosen faucets, prep sink or lighting, and haven't yet found a fabricator for the stainless steel countertops. I don't even want to begin to think about what I'm doing for a backsplash. I have the feeling I'll be forced into making some quick decisions soon after demolition begins.

I hope you and your DH and your little ones had a wonderful holiday! How are your design classes going?

Erika