SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bearcat_va

OK---it's baby-naming time!

bearcat_va
14 years ago

Hello friends!

Time to ask for help from my favorite group of people.

I need some name ideas for a boy or girl. We find out the gender in early March, but I'm impatient and need to start thinking of names!

Our son is Brody Michael. If we have a boy the middle name will be James (after my dad) and if it's a girl, the middle name will be Ann (after my Aunt--Sister Ann Murphy, who passed away a few years ago)

We do not like uber-trendy names, but also like names that are not terribly common, either.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Comments (93)

• sue_va
    14 years ago

I know it is popular now, but I dislike giving traditionally male names to girls.

And remember to think about the initials. I have seen some names used where the initials aren't pleasant. My sister's initials were BAG. Sorry to say, but we did call her "bag" just to tease her.

I like Emily Anne (yes, add the e)

There are brothers here named Gary and David, They started a business and combined their names and named it Gavid's. I think Gavid is an extremely nice name.

Gavid James . . . . . Sounds good.

Sue

• juellie1962
    14 years ago

I like Finn for a boy and Lydia for a girl. My daughter is expecting a girl in April and I can't convince her to name the baby Lydia lol

• Related Discussions

Best time to remove baby fruit...

Q

Comments (7)
    Suzi, if a citrus tree is struggling to develop its canopy as a young tree, especially if this tree is grown as a container citrus (and entirely different proposition than what you are used to, in the ground), then it is wise to remove the fruit in order to give the tree time to establish a canopy large enough to support and develop fruit, without jeopardizing the overall health of the tree. Citrus canuck, the easiest time to remove fruit is at the BB stage, but you can remove fruit at any stage. Meyers often do not drop their fruit and will over produce. Many lemons are like this. Same with the Page mandarin. Just pluck the fruit, enough the blossoms, and if the tree is not looking like it can support that future fruit, pop those fruits off at the BB stage. Your little tree has some post-transplant shock to make it through as well, so work on getting it re-established, and then maybe in 3 or 4 months, it will be ready to support a few fruit. Patty S.
    ...See More

July picture time. Please everyone post some pic of your babies.:

Q

Comments (30)
    First is the big labeled family photo. Citrus: there's seedling lemon, tangelo, pummelo, yuzu, along with an unlabeled sudachi. There's also a larger grafted yuzu and a grafted calamondin. As for non-citrus, there's three nightshades (tamarillo, naranjilla and coconas), two pots of seedling guavas, and a rather spindly ice cream bean seedling. [IMG]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b122/davidals/Project1.jpg[/IMG] Second is the unlabeled pic. [IMG]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b122/davidals/Picture547.jpg[/IMG] Third, is a closer view including the big yuzu and calamondin, the pummelo and tangelo in front of them, and the big naranjilla on the right side. [IMG]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b122/davidals/CopyofPicture548.jpg[/IMG] Last, this is a close-up of some of the seedling (non-grafted) citrus - from top to bottom, yuzu, pummelo, tangelo and sudachi. The black pot is tamarillo sprouts, which I need to thin out. To me, the only notable thing here is how different papeda-type citrus look from other citrus when young - smaller, slower in growth, smaller leaves, but very lush, small (not visible in this pic) spines, but more of 'em than other citrus. [IMG]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b122/davidals/Picture537.jpg[/IMG]
    ...See More

Unusual and Celeb Baby Names

Q

Comments (44)
    My DD's have pretty unusual names. The eldest was going to be Amanda as I was in love with that name, it was unusual and I thought it so romantic. Then Bea Arthur was in a short lived TV show called Amanda and since I couldn't stand her, there was no way we could call our baby that name. Her father came home from work one day and asked what I thought of the name Tara (rhymes with Car) and I loved it, so that is what we named her. She's only run into a very few with the name pronounced the same, most are pronounced like the plantation in GWTW. Ironically, Amanda was a very popular name in the early 80's, and she went to school with 3 girls with that name! The next DD is named Dayna Elaine. I just LOVE her name but it's forever pronounced Diana or Dinah. How can you mess it up? My poor DS got a very common name, Jonathan, but I always loved the spelling Jon. He's got only one friend with the name Jon, but tons of Jared's, Justin's, Joel's and Jeremiah's!
    ...See More

Baby name choice causing family split

Q

Comments (1)
    Sorry this was meant for the Conversations side. Can it please be deleted from here? I will repost it over there. Please do not respond to this thread on this side!
    ...See More
  • patches_02
    14 years ago

We have a Courtney, Kelsey, Kaylyn, Keelin,Cylus and then there's a Riley.

• suzieque
    14 years ago

This is fun. Thanks for giving us the opportunity to share your excitement.

I still like Daniel James for a boy...

I'd tend to stay away from combinations where the last letter of the first name is the same as the first letter of the middle or last name. For example, John Newell (I hope that's not a real name of anyone here or known!). Although a nice name, to me it would sound like Johnewell. I've known or heard many names that the first name just blends into the last name because of the common letter ending one and beginning the other.

I knew a girl once who was named Laramie (and it went beautifully with her last name; I don't know what her middle name was); apparently she was conceived in Laramie, Wyoming!!! But I thought it was a beautiful name.

How about Valerie Ann?

Suzieque

• bigack
    14 years ago

A friend named their son Callahan! It kind of grows on you, and unusual. Sally/Sallie is always cute for a girl, and I like Gracie. Always thought if we had a girl, she would be Sarah Katherine.

• des_arc_ya_ya
    14 years ago

How about Brian (or Bryan) James? I think Brody and Brian go very well together. You won't believe how you'll put your kids' names together for the rest of your life as you're talking to people about them! I think after typing them that I like the Bryan spelling best with James,

For a girl? I love Elizabeth Ann. There are a lot of cute nicknames for Elizabeths, or be original, always call her Elizabeth! LOL

• sylviatexas1
    14 years ago

Suzieque, is there something in the water in Wyoming???

I once dated a guy named Cody;
    his mother said that when she & his dad pulled into the motor court there were just the 2 of them, but when they drove off the next morning, there were 3 of them!

• sheilajoyce_gw
    14 years ago

My father liked to say he named my brother Brian after Brian Boru, the greatest of all Irish kings. We have a very Irish last name, which my daughter gave to her second son as his middle name. Mother said that with such an Irish last name, each of us must have very Irish first names to match.

• wanda_va
    14 years ago

For a boy, I like Jesse (he would love being Jesse James!), Tyler, Wade, Wesley

• lydia1959
    14 years ago

oooohh... I like Jesse James. Very cool. I also like Trey and Gavin. I like Finn too... but that might become very popular with the popularity of Glee.

I like juellie1962's idea for a girl's name. LOL

• hale_bopp
    14 years ago

My favorite names:

Flynn
    Mia

And Joanna- you have NO idea how popular Bella is now, ROTLF!!! ARGH! Good luck choosing. This is such a fun part!

Blessings,
    Haley

• hale_bopp
    14 years ago

PS- Thank you!!!! : D

• kacram
    14 years ago

so, if you don't want to use Kathy Ann after me....! lol >>>

Dori Ann
    Suki Ann
    Laura Ann
    Kristie (Christy) Ann
    Tasha Ann
    Faith
    Wendy
    Isabel Ann
    Elisabeth Ann
    Keri Ann

Teryn
    Terri
    Teri

• des_arc_ya_ya
    14 years ago

Oh, please don't name him Jesse James! With a name like that he's bound to either go into law enforcement or law breaking!! LOL

• millburn_nj_po_mom
    14 years ago

My son is Collin James (named after both grandfathers).

Sheryl

• stephanie_in_ga
    14 years ago

I teach 5 classes of 25 or so kids. I have a Jacob/Jake in every class and at least one Katelyn in every class. One class I have four, and each spells it differently. Ugh. So don't use those, they are over used!

Some girls' names I've come across that I like: Camdyn, Brynne and Brynley, Gentry, and Hollynde (sounds like the country Holland). And I never get tired of Elizabeth, classic and provides several nick names.

Boys' names I have more traditional tastes. But I like Craig, don't hear that much anymore. My brother's name is Dirk. I never met another of those, but it's not completely unheard of, either, I know there are others out there.

• cheryl_down_under
    14 years ago

I have a Matthew and a Craig, so am partial to those names. But I like Micah too - I think Micah James sounds good. For a girl, I like Stephanie and Sarah.

• stephanie_in_ga
    14 years ago

Cheryl has great taste... Stephanie is a wonderful name! ;o)

• jemdandy
    14 years ago

Below is a naming tradition that was used by some early American Families. However, in today's US society, many parents break with tradition or are not aware of it. It is my experience that no matter what naming tradition one may use, ultimately, the best names are those that roll easily on the tongue, and a combination that the child will like. One simple rule is that the first two names should comprise of 3 syllables; The first name may be one-syllable with the second name 2: Example: Joe Davis, or Mae Apple. Also, the first name may have 2 syllables with a single syllable in the second name; Example: Phyllis Rose.

Naming Traditions  Irish

Identifying the children in a family may be somewhat easier if the parents had a naming tradition. It is often an Irish practice and may not always be strictly followed. Some communities reflect a practice of having multiple names for family members.

Oldest son named after the Father's father
    2nd son named after the Mother's father
    3rd son named after the Father
    4th son named after the Father's oldest brother

Oldest daughter named after the Mother's mother
    2nd daughter named after the Father's mother
    3rd daughter named after the Mother
    4th daughter named after the Mother's oldest sister
    2nd wife's oldest daughter named after the first wife, using her full name

Here is a link that might be useful: Naming Traditions

• SadieSadie
    14 years ago

I have a niece named Neila. I love that name.

I named my son Jared (28 years ago tomorrow). Loved the name in a baby book; never waivered after I saw that one. He was originally supposed to be "Matthew," which means "A gift from God." I'd planned to use that name for about 7 years. . . unfortunately, it was a HUGE trendy name back then, so I changed my mind. The funny part is that my son's partner is named Matthew. They're getting married this fall, and I'm very glad the invitations won't have to say "Matthew and Matthew!"

Of course, I liked the name Jared a lot better before the Subway guy became famous, and before the jewelry store!

Good luck with the process. How FUN!

Hugs,
    SadieSadie

• gwanny2three
    14 years ago

Just wanted to say congrats!!! I didn't know you were expecting again! Great news!!!

• marilyn_c
    14 years ago

My favorite names wouldn't work...not a James or an Ann...but if I had a boy, he would have been John David, and a girl,
    Kelly Kathleen. My daughter is Erin Quinn. She tells me she likes her name. Not many Erins when I named her, but everyone must have thought that because when she went to school, there were Erins in droves. ;)

Or, you could name her after me and name her Julia. That goes with Ann. It's a nice, old fashioned name. I also like the name Hannah, but it's getting a little common these days.

• hgl_gaylemarie
    14 years ago

Renee for a boy or girl
    Taylor for a boy or girl

Dean's GD is Miranda and they call her Randi.I like that.

• sylviatexas1
    14 years ago

I've heard that you should apply 2 tests to a name before you put it on the birth certificate, the screen door test & the Supreme Court test.

Say you've selected Artemesia Louanne Marshall as your daughter's prospective name.

You must say the sentences in quotes aloud:

Screen door test:

"Artemesia Louanne Marshall, you come back inside this house & go out that door again & close it *properly*!"

Supreme Court test:

"Ladies & Gentlemen, may I present to you the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, the Honorable Artemesia Louanne Marshall."

• dollydolots
    14 years ago

Girls
    Kenzie
    Brandi
    Lyndi
    Faith
    Boys

Tyroh
    Mackenzie
    Brandson
    Grayden
    Chappy
    Dolly

• Nita__AZ
    14 years ago

I love our granddaughters name, Maureen. When she was little everyone called her Mauri. Now that she is 17 all her friends call her Mo.

• ruthieg__tx
    14 years ago

I hate all the trendy names...they all sound so silly to me...I am sorry and don't want to single out anyone but some of these suggestions are sooooo bad...of course that's one old woman's opinion but I bet even you are saying, No! I don't think so.

I think as time approaches you will fall in love with a name that is already in your heart.

My favorite names are the old fashioned names. And I would never spell a child's name is some off the wall manner...If her name is Judy it should be Judy not Judi....do you know how many times in someones life that leads to errors...One of my own Granddaughter's name is spelled with the i on the end..and I can never remember which of the girls has the weird spelling to her name.

I love old names like Laura, Leah, Kathryn, Diane, Beth, Julia, blah blah blah...

• wildchild
    14 years ago

I agree with Ruthie on the odd spellings. It doesn't make the name different after all. It sounds the same just looks different on paper. Judy or Judie doesn't bother me because I think it's up to the names owner how they spell the diminutive. Judith could choose how she does it.

My friend has a son named Allen. Now I like the name /hate the spelling. My mental image of Allen is a surname. Alan or even Allan is the first name. But that's just me.

Sylvia is so right about trying those names out. Crystal or Brandy = stripper/druggie/single mom. Meridith = Doctor/Judge/Mother

The one thing I really dislike are last names used as girls names cutesy spelling or not. What if little Taylor marries Jim Taylor or a Camdyn falls for Bob Camden? The trendy names today are just as bad as the trend of hyphenating his and hers last names was/is.

• kacram
    14 years ago

my first name is kathy and my last name starts with a C and is not too uncommon, and I STILL have to spell them both!
    lol
    wow.. i've never equated names like crystal, brandy or barbie with shady professions and single moms???. LOL not any name for that matter.... I would certainly hope other don't that is
    odd to me. lol

• susanjf_gw
    14 years ago

my one son is christopher michael and my oldest is elizabeth anne..beth and chris, or betty boop and criggy...when he was real little "kissyfer", lol..doesn't fit when he's 33 and 6'2', lol...

• sheesh
    14 years ago

I don't know how any couple who names their kids silly, cutesy, misspelled names and street names can expect the kids to be serious about anything. And how can those kids with goofy names be taken seriously when they grow up?

Over the years, I have heard a lot of criticism about the current trend in the names blacks give their kids. Think about what you're doing to your kids. You're not being unique if you're following the trends.

Many people dislike their names. I have hated having a nickname for my first name my whole life. Give your kids real names, and all the darling nicknames you want.

Sherry

• wildchild
    14 years ago

I've never equated names like crystal, brandy or barbie with shady professions and single moms

I'm guessing you've never been in a strip club or TT bar? Yes I know most are fake names the girls use but still..... every club has Candy and Crystal and Tiffany and Destiny and Brandy and maybe a Diamond among them. LOL

• kacram
    14 years ago

"I'm guessing you've never been in a strip club or TT bar?"
    yes, that's true lol

• linda_in_iowa
    14 years ago

What is a TT bar? I've never heard of it.

• chisue
    14 years ago

Are we working with a certain ethnicity here? Religion? (We also don't know how a given name will sound with your surname.)

If a family is not RC and/or Irish, why would they give their child a name that fits that image? (Sian Bernstein? LOL) Plus, many people don't have a clue how to pronounce or spell Sian, another no-no in my book.

If you want to honor someone, why not just give the child that name, not stick it in the middle where it will only be seen on a diploma/rap sheet? LOL

I have a nice, if old fashioned/biblical first hame, but I have never been called that. My middle name is Sue. "Sue" is what I answer to -- something I have to have make recovery room personnel note before anesthesia. I'm having an identity crisis as a Senior because I have to use my LEGAL first name all the time -- for air reservations, for social security, on bank documents. It's hard to remember 'who' I am sometimes.

• wildchild
    14 years ago

Linda In Iowa - Topless. Kind of slur the TT and I think you will guess the word I was going for but feared to post. LOL Not around so much as they were in the 60's 70's. Yes even then the girls were named after alcoholic drinks and gemstones. ;-)

During the late 60's early seventies just about every bar either had a topless hostess or a girl dancing in a cage.

• sleeperblues
    14 years ago

My son's name is Theodore James. We used to call him Teddy, until he got into high school and wanted to be called Ted. I still sometimes call him Teddy. When he was learning to write he couldn't get the Ds right and would spell his name Tebby, so we sometimes call him that for a joke. In fact, he will be 19 on February 12 and I ordered a cake to be sent to him at his dorm on that day saying "Happy birthday Tebby". I figured that should make him laugh!

Daughter's name is Alexandra Paige and we call her Alex or Al.

I remember when we told my Mom we were naming our DD Alexandra she scoffed. But everyone agrees the name fits her perfectly. Name your child what YOU like, even the doubters will get used to it eventually. Best of luck to you.

• lindyluwho
    14 years ago

Please don't name anyone Adicus!

Linda

• zeetera
    14 years ago

I'm here cracking up at Sylvia's post. How on earth did she think of that name. That was soooo funny!

• suzieque
    14 years ago

Oh, actually, I think that Atticus (or Adicus, as posted above - either way) is cool! Wasn't Atticus a really upstanding man in To Kill a Mockingbird? Not that I'd name a boy that (Atticus James), but I don't think it's the worst I've heard! Actually, I kind of like it......

• mary_c_gw
    14 years ago

I do have to say - don't name your child a diminutive of another name. Give the baby a grown up name to begin with, no matter what nickname you choose to use.

My nephew is Jamie Daniel - my sister liked "Jamie", but not "James". He absolutely couldn't wait to be 18 and change his name legally to "James". He wants to study law, and felt that while Jamie was a perfectly good nickname, it looked juvenile on a business card.

I have to agree.

• pplantlady
    14 years ago

I saw a name last night on TV and I thought of this post. :-) It was a woman's name, Melora. I thought it was quite different but I liked it. Best of luck whatever you decide and congratulations!

• Lindsey_CA
    14 years ago

It's no doubt been stated already, but please don't give a child a first name that isn't gender specific. For example, Leslie can be a male or a female, as can Rory, Jamie, Casey, Chris, Ashley, Kelly, Tracy, Leigh, Pat, and Jordan.

At work today, I was working on users' network/e-mail accounts and on two of them I found I was referring to them by the wrong gender. The one I thought was a guy was a girl, and the one I thought was a girl was a guy....

• caflowerluver
    14 years ago

I don't think someone has metioned this, but sound out the first name with your last name. If you have a tongue twisting last name (like mine with two "Z"s) you want to go with simple classic names or the whole name will be too much. I always loved the name Zackary, but with a Z last name that was out.

I choose Thomas for my son because of that reason and he could be either Tommy, Tom or Thomas when he grew up. I use to call him Thomas up to grade school. Then he came home one day and told me his name now was Tommy. Today at 25 he goes by Tom. So he has been all three.

My preference is for classic names that have stood the test of time and are not trendy. Maybe because I have such a classic name myself.
    Clare

• jen_tx
    14 years ago

My oldest son is 23 now. I had such a hard time thinking of a name for him. Our last name is long....3 syllables so I didn't want a long first name. Then one day, it came to me.....Maxwell and we call him Max. I loved it so much I was afraid to tell anyone because I didn't want to hear any negatives about it. Turns out, it suits him perfectly. He was always the only Max in class and I liked that it "grows" as he does. The only downside is it seems to be a popular name for dogs! LOL

We named our next son Mark and it is perfect for him too. I know you will come up with the perfect name for your next baby too. Congratulations!!! What a blessing! I can't wait to find out if you're having a boy or girl.

• sylviatexas1
    14 years ago

"please don't give a child a first name that isn't gender specific"

I once worked for a lovely woman named Tommie.

She met the man of her dreams & they marrried.

& they were Tommy & Tommie...

• diane_sw_mich
    14 years ago

My son is Tony. We didn't like the name Anthony..but I wished I had named him that any way. HE's glad I didn't, he hates the name Anthony. Both of my kids would have had the same initials had I named him Anthony. Tony fits him well.

Diane :)

• Rosefolly
    4 years ago

I find myself wondering what name you chose.

• colleenoz
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I like Eleanor Ann or Margaret Ann. You don't hear either of those two names much.