SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tenbelow

Window AC is leaking some water inside; Can't remove grille

tenbelow
9 years ago

This is a Hampton Bay Model # HBQE060. It's tilted properly to the outside. I don't have the manual. This is the first window AC in which I've been unsuccessful in removing the front grille. There is one small, shallow bolt on each side of the cabinet, and those won't budge. If anyone knows how to remove this model's grille, please post that info.

I've been running my window AC unit a lot lately, and in the past few days I've noticed the window sill and some of the floor below getting a little wet. I shut off the AC, cleaned up the small amount of water and put dry paper towels on the window sill; those paper towels ended up getting soaked.

I thought that maybe the water was from condensation that occurs sometimes when it's humid, so I started up the AC when everything *looked* dry. That night, I saw drops of water coming out from where the power cord exits the housing and out from where the grille meets the housing. Now when I push my fingers on the underside of the grille, a little water comes out (cord is not plugged in).

I feel stupid asking this, but in this situation, is it dangerous to run the AC in this condition, even if I continually use paper towels? Is this problem most likely the drain pipe being clogged?

I don't know what to do if I can't get that cover off the AC. I'm moving in the Fall, so it's not worth it to buy a new AC, and hiring a service person will cost more than the unit is worth. It gets very hot & humid here, so it will be an uncomfortable summer without AC.

Any help is really appreciated. Thank you.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting