SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_343451

leaking exterior window sill: replace the framing?

User
14 years ago

Hi

I finally decided to tackle replacing my exterior trim in certain areas where it is starting to rot. The one north facing sill is extrememly rotted. The sill basically crumbled when I touched it.

I opened up the wall from the inside and the sheathing needs to be repaired as well. I can put my finger all the way through it to the siding. I just removed a little of the the siding from the outside to check the extent of damage and found that the 3 2x4 framing studs are also pretty spongy on the exterior side. They are okay on the interior side of the wall.

Do I need to replace these studs or can I use a wood hardener on them. Not replacing them means I can do this job of patching the damaged sheathing, fixing/flashing out the sill and residing the cedar today by myself. I don't want to open it further if I can't fix this today. I am hoping the sill plate is okay too.

If I need to replace the window framing I have to remove the window entirely, reframe etc...and this means my husband needs to help.

Any advice is appreciated. Keep in mind that in the next year I would like to make this 6 foot window into a door. Maybe I can get by without replacing the framing as a temporary fix? The doors that I want don't fit into my budget now or I would just take out the whole window.

Here is a pic...It's a mess. I chopped at the 2x4s to see how rotted that'sn why they are ratched up. Not to mention, the wrap on the house is paper??? Should I use the same wrap or can I use roofing felt or another wrap.

{{!gwi}}

Comments (8)