SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lawwnbboy

My A/C stopped cooling, what happened?

lawwnbboy
13 years ago

Here is what I know.

I came home last night from the movies, and the A/C was running, but it seemed much louder than normal. The cycle finally finished, or so I thought, and the temperature in the house last night continually rose (A/C wasn't working after that point).

Today I noticed that the A/C condensor is not running, and the condensor fan is not running. The Capacitor looks a little puffed out on the top cap. I have tested all the current, there is full current from the downstairs furnace, to the relay, to the outside condensor, and to the fan. During a cycle of the A/C the fan will not turn unless I give it a push, it is very loose and is NOT binding-but just won't start rotating on its own.

The condensor is not running, although when the A/C cycle starts I can hear the hummmmm of something trying to get started; either the condensor or the fan.

Is there a way to test that condensor? Is the condensor busted?

Is the condensor cheap enough to replace to see if it solves the problem?

Can anyone suggest what could be really wrong with this thing?

I have a couple pictures of the unit, it has a sticker showing "Payne Heating and Cooling", house built in 1991. The condensor has been replaced once or twice if the maintenance sticker on the basement duct is accurate.

Comments (9)