SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eieioshop

Electrolux Washer & Dryer: Load Weight issue?

eieio8
11 years ago

Dear All:

i'm about to purchase a genuine wool mattress pad in order to provide more temperature insulation from my Tempurpedic memory foam mattress (mattress too hot despite me buying the mattress with 2 air cooling channels!).

the mattress pad is specifically stated to be machine washable (cold, delicate cycle, low heat drying) which is attractive to me as some other types are dry clean only, which i think would be unhealthy to breath in dry cleaned mattress pad for 8 hours per night.

Question:

while i have a very large Electrolux washer and dryer

(washer EIFLW55HIW IQ-Touch Controls;
dryer EIMED55IIW IQ-Touch with Steam),

this wool mattress pad is roughly 1.5" thick pile!! In my King Size, that would be an enormously heavy item for the washing machine, right?

fyi, this is the specific wool mattress pad (from Cuddledown): (again, kindly remember that this is in KING size please)

http://www.cuddledown.com/product/plush-wool-fleece-pad.do?sortby=newArrivals

My Concerns:

- that the washing machine, once filled up with water, may be overloaded with weight as this VERY thick item (in King Size) would soak up so much water that it may well break or overload the relatively high end Electrolux washing machine!
Might it either break my Electrolux washing machine, or not be able to finish the washing cycle and just break down with water inside, or shorten its life even if it doesn't break with one washing?

- that the dryer might not be able to handle this weight either! i'll end up with a wet King Sized super heavy item and no way to dry it!

- drying instructions for this wool mattress pad states: "tumble dry low". Well, even with items less thick (i.e. cotton flannel sheets), i need to use medium/high (not merely medium) heat in order for the items to dry in, say, 1 hour! with something THIS thick and large (King size), i'm concerned that in "tumble dry low" setting, this may take 5 hours to dry!!

May I kindly ask for advice? Will washing this huge and heavy item ruin/break my Electrolux washing machine and dryer?

Any other advice please?

I live in the middle of NYC and taking this to a commercial washing place isn't the most convenient solution at all.

Thank you all very much in advance!

Comments (25)