SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
djdoggone

Can a 21-Year-Old System Be as Efficient as it Gets?

djdoggone
13 years ago

It was time to either spend thousands in new windows and doors/sliders to replace single pane, leaking glass or downsize. We chose the latter -- less to heat, maintain & clean. Win/Win.

So we are dismantling 2/3rds of the house and are left with 820 s.f. to fix up for our old age (no such thing as retirement for us).

We are adding insulation where we can do so without dismantling (attic and cellar) and tightening all leaks with foam. But we need to address the heating system because it is 21 years old and while we are putting in new flooring we have the option of switching from oil-fired hot water baseboard heat to radiant oil or propane.

Yesterday our oil man stopped by to talk with us. His advice to is keep going with the existing system (H.B. Smith 8 series boiler with Riello oil burner & Super Stor stainless hot water maker) because we can't buy a more efficient oil system, even if it is 21 years old. He ball-parked that a new heating system would run $11,000 for our set-up and $25,000 for radiant. I was stunned. $25,000 for radiant in our 820 s.f. home?!? Another dream down the tubes And, he said, he doesn't find a reduction in oil usage with radiant; rather, it stays the same or increases slightly. I guess I'm doomed to vacuum registers.

I know my oil man can only address oil. I know that gas boilers are much more efficient and if we could get natural gas I would leap without another thought, but we are in the price-gouging area of Mass where propane dealers sign you on for reasonable rates and then increase rates once you've bought the gas tank from them because no one else can fill it by law.

So, do you agree with my oil man? -- whom I trust and don't for a minute think is giving me anything but his best advice; but he is very conservative and we don't want to be penny wise and pound foolish. Do we just let the current system die a natural death and worry about replacement when it bites the dust? Can a 21 year old system be as efficient as it gets today?

And since I have to install many cabinets to provide storage in this tiny abode, is my oil man right about the new toaster kick-board heaters -- that they are virtually silent? We installed them in one room back in the 80's and they are so loud I never use them -- it's like having a window air conditioner going all the time.

Deb

Comments (7)