SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sergeantcuff

Sink advice - What size? 32 x 16' seems huge! Also faucet help.

sergeantcuff
15 years ago

Is a 32 x 16" undermount sink too big for a small kitchen? Am I wasting counter space?

I have a small, awkward, U-shaped 10' x 12' kitchen in an old house. The best we could do was place a 39" sink base and a dishwasher on a 10' wall.

I'm getting an undermount sink through my soapstone fabricator. I told him I wanted a single-bowl sink (since that's what I'm used to, and I frequently wash big cookie sheets and cutting boards). He suggested a sink that is about 32 x 16" (maybe a bit narrower, he didn't have the exact dimensions with him). I told him that seemed way too big, but he assured me that was the right size for the base, the space, and "that's what people like".

Do I need a big sink for the big sink base? That seems so huge! I have a really old 22 x 16 now, it seems "normal" sized to me. I little bigger would be nice.

I am also so confused about faucets. I found a good deal on one but was afraid to get it as it had an 11" spout reach, seemed like it would come out farther than the drain? Other have a spout reach of 9-3/4", is that what I should get?

The electrician is here today and I had to make a bunch of decisions so I'm a little spent. The sink and faucet are the last decisions, then I've decided to be happy with whatever happens. Time is running out to order on-line, as everything in happening so fast! I know that's a good thing, so I'm not complaining.

Comments (27)