SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kes_cor

Confused- Intermittent Water Leak out of A/C Handler

11 years ago

Im hoping someone can help with my strange problem..

We had an A.c and air handler (American Standard) installed for the upstairs zone. The unit is upright, meaning the air comes up from the bottom of the unit through the cooling coils into the attic.

In the front, the installers but in solid 3/4" (I think) pipe which runs across the unit, with a trap (bend) and into a condensate pump, which pumps the water off to the basement. I understand this is this way to allow access to change the filter & to prevent an "air lock" which prevents water from draining through the line.

Here is the problem.. Most times this works fine..

Two times in the last month, there is water leaking (a LOT) out of where the pipe connects to the Air Handler.

On about the Second of July-

The first time was when we had a power outage for 36 hours, the house temperature climbed to 90 degrees. when the a/c turned on, it was set to 76. I noticed a strange gurgling noise and saw a little water coming out. I shut down the unit and the water poured out. I turned the a/c back on and the rest of the night no leaks.

Last night 7/19 was the second time.. The house temp was 80ish outside was low 90s, and I set it to 76.. After about an hour, i noticed it was leaking out the front. I shut the unit down, water poured out, and then no problems the rest of the night.

Other relevant information - we have been using the A/c daily between these two times, it has been in the 100's & 90's for a lot of the days in between. THe A/C system was installed 9 years ago and I've never cleaned the drain pipe.

Thanks for your help

Comments (7)