SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
silvercanadian

confused about a/c sizes/models

silvercanadian
16 years ago

I've had 7 a/c quotes. Three quoted me on 2 ton units, two on 2.5 ton units and the other two didn't write it on the quote. Nobody here seems to do any extensive calculations, they come in, take a look at my thermostat, take a look at the furnace location and do some measurements, then ask me the square footage of my home.

Also, everyone quotes me on the entry level units, and look at me strange when I ask about other units. Most attempted to quote me on the R22 refrigerant until I said we wanted the new refrigerant (which they never bothered to mention to me).

I've only called Lennox and Carrier dealers so far and these are the units I have been quoted on:

Lennox 13ACX

Lennox XC13

Carrier 24ACA3

Maybe these entry level units are good for our climate/area, but I suspect it's more that this is what the dealers order large lots of, so that's what they offer (as these are the cheaper units). I'm fine with going with one of these if they are suitable, but if I should have something superior, I'd prefer to know before the install!

Right now, the best price has been for a 2.5 ton Lennox 13ACX, but I am hesitant to go with it because I don't know if 2.5 ton is too large (other guys quoting 2 ton) and maybe we should be getting a higher model unit?

My house is just under 1600 sq ft and is a 2 story with detached garage. It's a corner lot and the side the unit will be installed on is the south side. I live in a prairie province and a/c is used mostly in July and August, but some use in June and September. We have drier air here, more humid in summer than in winter, but still dry compared to other areas.

Does anyone have any advice for me?

Comments (16)