SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
czechchick2

LG TROMM update after 5 years and repair

czechchick2
12 years ago

It's been couple of years since I posted here but now I'd like to share my LG experience after 5 years.

It might be long, so bare with me.

Finally,my LG had to have bearings replaced. I said finally, b/c somehow I always knew it will hapen.As I posted here long time ago, my bf has dermatitis so every load has prewash and after wash, I double or triple rinse everything or use extra quick wash to make sure that no residue is left behind. I also wash king size comforters in- once with extra detergent b/c of the size and then couple of extra quick washes without soap to get it rinse good.

And dog's blankets. We have GS and Lab, so hair everywhere.

I also use water plus feature on every load. So all this washing and rinsing surely put lots of pressure on the bearings.

The bearings started to go about 2.5 years ago and it got soooo loud past few months and the warranty is near end so I called for repair.

I have extended warranty and there was no problem what so ever with the company or the repair guy. The only delay was in schedule the reapir guy to come when my bf was home b/c the washer and dryer is stacked and they would have to send 2 guys and charge me 50 bucks to unstock it. Well, I am too cheap for that.

The washer had to be taken appart and somehow we ended up with new drum too. My bf said something about the bearings couldn't come out. The new drum is weird. Not only it has holes but these raised half bubbles, smaller and larger.

But who cares about that. Right?

I did take few pictures of the drum and washer being dissasembled. There was no mold or mildew, no buildup or smell.Just shiny drum. The only thing I saw some dried dog hair and lint in between the gasket and the plastic outerdrum. The guy said that the washer is nice clean.

Inside of the box, onthe bottom there were some bugs and on top of the frame inside was little rust, I think from using the sanitary cycles, it causes condensation.I forgot to take pics of that.

I also asked the guy if I should get the warranty extended and he did recomend it. He said it's higher end washer and cost more to get new one.He said he doesn't see many of them.It will cost about 500 bucks for next 5 years but in our case it's worth it. He said that fix the bearings is about 400-500 bucks.I wash and re-wash a lot and wash heavy loads so those bearings will likely go again. Plus as the washer gets older ,other potential repairs might be needed-like electronics or heater.

So sum it up and answer someone's question on how long will washer last. I'd say enybody who does normal washings-not like us, IMO,the washer shouldn't have problem to last 10 years or more.

And for some who still has problem with mold and mildew.

I only use hot and sanitary cycles.

Always prewash and extra rinse with aded water volume.

Detergents I used in past included non HE, Roma, powder, liquid, Persil-the best. Charlie soap I hated with passion.

Now, past 2 years I used Vaska but it suds up in my other little FL so I tried MS Meyers and I am hooked! It cleans well, smells great, rinses well and doesn't suds up at all.

And I can order it on line, shipping free too.

I DO NOT use any bleach,ever, I am allergic to it.

I put all the detergent inside the drum.

And I am using FS now, Vaska or Ms Meyers.

Just remember, more dirty load, it needs little more soap to get the dirt out but also more water to rinse it out too.

1/2-3/4 loads not really dirty, just one extra rinse.Full load and/ or heavy one like towels, extra rinses. I do mixed loads, heavy and light, it rinses better.

I never use warm or cold water. For rinse I use warm water.

I care about our clean laundry and my bf's skin, not savings on electric. I do worry about the water consumption but these FL use so little that all the extra rinse can't be that bad.

Also the repair guy mentioned that the bearing failure is bc of our hard water. The lime got in and ate it up.Who knows.

One more thing, I asked if I have to replace my hoses and he said they are good. I have some high pressure ones and he said they last long.

And we didn't have to rebalance the washer at all. All the moving did not mess it up. I made sure the legs were locked in and it worked. It was balanced 5 years ago when new and it is still perfect!!!

I would post the pics but have no idea how. If anybody wants to see them, I can email them.

I hope some find some usefull info here.

I still do love my washer.

Good luck with yours!

Comments (19)