SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
moonshadow_gw

LG Dryer: Multiple repairs + coming to end of warranty

moonshadow
16 years ago

9/2003 I purchased the LG Gas Dryer DLG2532W.

Got if from Best Buy and altho I don't typically buy extended warranties, I did with this dryer. Glad I did now. Just had my 3rd service call today.

Each time the dryer failed to run hot air. It still operated, just no heat.

This is what repair tickets say:

12/2005: Weak coils found on gas valve, replaced valve assembly.

6/2006: Thermostat tripped. Reset thermostat.

5/2008: Found thermostat was open. Replaced thermostat assembly.

I've never had so many service calls on an appliance, so 3 in 5 years seems excessive to me (particularly when I researched a lot and at the time LG was touted as good). I take care of my W/D, clean the exhaust hose twice yearly, and it still looks brand spankin' new.

BB service does come out quickly (always 2 days later), so I've not had delays I see others here have had. However, about a year after we got it I felt it just wasn't getting clothes completely dry, but DH said it was my imagination, they felt fine to him, so I blew it off. In last year or so I've actually run it through an auto sensor cycle, then added an extra 20-30 minutes on manual cycle so clothes feel dry to my satisfaction. Doesn't help the gas bill.

Extended warranty is up 9/2008. Cost of warranty paid for itself after the first service call. One more service call and the 'replace it/credit the cost' deal on BB's extended warranty kicks in. I wasn't here when the service guy came today, DH was, so he didn't mention to tech that I run extra dry time. Altho service rep did tell DH it was 'unusual' for him to get so many calls on an LG, but 'stuff happens, since it's all computerized'. It's always the same issue tho: loss of heat.

Anyway, I'm wondering, if I keep needing to run the extra dry time, if I should phone that in before warranty expires. My gut tells me this thing is going to need service for this issue again - likely after warranty runs out.

What would you do?

Comments (20)