SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
littleja

LG Electric Dryers, no heat? Try this first...

littleja
18 years ago

I own an LG Electric Dryer model DLE0332W.

My story: Last weekend I notice my clothes were not drying, still cold and damp after about 20 minutes of use. Uhhh great! My warranty had already expired and this dryer was only 2 years old". I called LG Customer Service to schedule an appointment with a general serviceman in my area. He came out and took nearly every aspect of this machine apart which seam to me like he had no idea what he was doing. I heard banging!?! I thought to myself," where not building bird houses, this is a machine, screws and clips, no banging needed, please be gentle? He finishes up what he was doing about 45 mins later this was his conclusion...

Serviceman: The part you need is a heat regulator and its going to run you about $20 and the labor charge for that is between $140 and $160

Me: Gosh for a $20 part thatÂs a bit much for labor charge!

Serviceman: The part will take about a month to receive. ItÂll have to ship from Korea, it takes time getting here and LG doesn't rush things so don't be to impatient, they don't care.

Me: A whole Month!!!

Serviceman: Hey, I donÂt recommend doing this but if you canÂt wait that long I can rig it to work by bi-passing the regulator and it will work for the time being, just donÂt leave clothes in it while your not home, this part protects your dryer from overheating and could catch fire if your not monitoring it.

Me: No, letÂs not do that please!...

By this point I thought, "Thank you so much for your waste of my time, get out of my house, but instead I cordially get rid of him and thought to myself this is just outrageous! I did some online research and called LGÂs 800 number again and found out they have a parts dept. and their headquarters is located in the same state I live in. The part was in stock and could be delivered overnight if requested. The price of the Thermostat Regulator Assembly I needed was only $10.19. You can install this part in about 5 minutes without taking a single panel off. For this model just slide out the main exhaust tube from the rear of the dryer, "one screw holds that in." Look into the hole to the left and you will see the Heater Unit right within reach. There are two sensors attached to this unit each with a red and a white wire clamped to them. The Heat Regulator is the one on the right. That is the $10.19 part you should replace. This part looks to have two soldered attached "L" brackets that hold it back from the heater unit. LG stated this faults out to protect your heater element from burning up and it did just what it was designed to do. So donÂt get scammed like I almost did, try replacing this part first. It could save you time and money. The cause of all this wasnÂt the performance of LGÂs Dryer, it was my lack of ensuring the exhaust ducts were thoroughly free of lint buildup, this caused the dryer to overheat. I am not certain but I can imagine most LG Electric Dryer models may relate similar to this...

Comments (16)