SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oakiris

Fisher & Paykell Electric Dryer/venting setup/moisture sensor

oakiris
13 years ago

I have a Fisher & Paykel DE27CW1 dryer and due to a problem with it - it stopped heating, and, amazingly enough, this occurred just after the warranty was up too :rolleyes: - I finally started reading up on dryers, dryer problems and fixes. I was able to fix - at least temporarily - the lack of heating problem by removing the front panel and resetting the hi-temp switch - but now realize that my whole set up needs to be changed. After all, presumably there was a reason why the switch tripped in the first place.

The 220 electrical hook up for the dryer was installed on the interior wall of the utility room and nowhere near an outside wall. Because of this, the dryer has always been set up to vent indoors, using one of those lovely lint bucket set ups - and used with a foil vent tube to boot. There is no easy way to vent to the outside, and, through my ignorance, I didn't realize that this method of venting is really not recommended by anyone! Our dryers have vented indoors for about 20 years now so who knew this could cause problems. (Note that the building inspector that inspected the house before we agreed to purchase it didn't seem to have a problem with this indoor venting - it was the same method the former owners of the house were using when he inspected the house - so I figured it was OK. Guess that says something about the building inspector we hired, too.) Additionally, I wasn't aware that the foil venting tubes should be avoided, too. The company from which I purchase the F & P dryer also delivered and installed it and they used a foil venting tube and said nothing negative about my indoor venting set up, and they're the experts, right?!? (Obviously not.)

My previous dryers never seemed to be effected by this poor venting set up - and I never had a dryer fire, obviously - but the Fisher & Paykel seems to take forever to dry my clothes and I think the incorrect venting is one of the problems. (I refuse to contemplate that maybe my Fisher & Paykel dryer itself is the culprit - surely I didn't make the wrong dryer choice....)I know now that this method of venting is not only inefficient but can also be hazardous, as well as leading to early dryer failure. Luckily, I live in Colorado so, due to the relatively dry air, I have never had any mold or wood rot problems that indoor venting can lead to. Just the same, though it will not be easy, I am definitely going to get the dryer vented to the outside.

Sorry about the long, rambling post, and I know there is a lot about this elsewhere on the Web, but I just wanted to add my learning experience to the litany of other folks that recommend avoiding indoor venting solutions.

I have also seen recommendations that the moisture sensors should be cleaned with rubbing alcohol from time to time. Does anyone here know where the moisture sensor is located in a Fisher & Paykel DE27CW1 dryer? There is nothing in the owner's manual about it - no diagrams showing component locations, etc., and I have no idea what I am looking for! :-o

Holly

Comments (27)