SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lakeguy35

Brie recipes or suggestions...

lakeguy35
14 years ago

I've only enjoyed this a few times while eating out or at a party. I'd like to add this to cocktail party menu for this weekend. I have a pottery bowl/crock I found in TN last year...it said to cut the top off and sprinkle with brown sugar and pecans. I found this recipe linked below from Paula Dean. It looks good too. Should I cut the top/rind off for Paula's recipe? I love puff pastry!!

I'm open for other ideas too...so please share your favortie recipe or ideas!

David

Here is a link that might be useful: Brie en croute

Comments (25)

• coconut_nj
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Yum David. I love Brie. You don't need to cut the top/rind off the Brie. It's meant to be consumed. I like it en Croute too. A traditional way to prepare it is to use apricot preserves and walnuts to the top then encase in the puff paste. You could use any preserve of your choice and I'm sure it would be great, or just the brown sugar like Paula did. It's usually a hit any way you serve it including just served on a board with nuts alongside. I also like it with small rounds of sourdough toast or dark bread. Enjoy your party. Sounds fun.

• Lisa_in_Germany
    14 years ago

I love brie and camembert, but have never had it en croute. But, I will say that in my opinion, the rind doesn't need to be removed. It is meant to be eaten, as Coconut says.
    My favorite way to eat camembert is breaded and fried and served with black bread and cranberry sauce.
    Lisa

• Related Discussions

Another question about Brie

Q

Comments (5)
    The recipe I printed out was from a link posted on this forum to The Gateway Cookbook. Again, I do not know who posted it, but I seem to recall she won a contest last year using this recipe. We love it. Green Chile and Brie Soup 1 cup chopped onions 1/2 cup chopped celery 4T butter 2T flour 16 oz chicken broth 16 oz half and half (milk is okay)* I've always used 1/2 &1/2 1/2 lb Brie * I remove the rind 2 - 4 oz cans of chopped green chiles (or preferably fresh roasted chiles) salt & pepper to taste Saute onions, celery in butter for 5 mins. Wisk in flour Then add in half and half and broth Stir thoroughly Add brie to soup in small pieces Stir until brie is melted (about 10 minutes) Add green chilies, simmer for another 2 minutes and serve. The other recipe I mentioned was actually posted by canarybird ( sorry Sharon on the mis credit) We like the combination-usually one of these dishes being planned leftovers from earlier in the week. Posted by: canarybird on 10.21.2007 at 06:44 am in Cooking Forum SALMON QUICHE WITH WALNUT CRUMB CRUST Preheat oven to 375 degrees F Pastry: Easy - doesn't require rolling, just press down with fingers and back of a spoon into a 24 cm (9.5 inch) pyrex flan dish or pie plate. 1 - 1/2 cups flour 1/2 teaspoon salt 1 cup cheddar cheese (grated) 1/2 cup butter 1/2 cup walnuts finely chopped Mix these ingredients in a bowl, cutting in butter with two knives until crumbly then press into a pie dish, including up the sides. Bake in pre-heated oven for five minutes. Then remove from oven. Meanwhile mix the following ingredients in a bowl: Filling: 3 eggs beat till frothy 3/4 cup sour cream 1 cup mozzarella cheese (grated) 1/2 onion, chopped 1 can salmon (7 3/4 ounces) - I prefer fresh piece salmon that has been baked - 'smoked salmon' is really good too. 1/4 cup mayonnaise Pour these ingredients into the pie crust - bake in oven approximately 45 minutes or until knife inserted in centre comes out clean. The top is usually a nice golden brown colour. If you don't have salmon on hand, tinned tuna works well too in this recipe. SharonCb
    ...See More

RECIPE: Bloomin' Brie Bowl

Q

Comments (4)
    Oooooohhhhh! This sounds WONDERFUL! I am putting it on the menu for our weekend Valentine's day celebration (DH is traveling this week). That will be excellent with a nice glass of wine. Thanks for sharing the recipe! Alexa
    ...See More

RECIPE: My favorite wat to do Brie

Q

Comments (4)
    Eileen, I laughed at that typo also, I often smile at your typing - I think of you as always busy and doing ten things at once and sitting down in a rush to type something up to post and then quick running off to do something for one of the kids or stir something on the stove! (Thanks for the recipe :)
    ...See More

RECIPE: brie & sausage breakfast cassrole

Q

Comments (7)
    Oooooh - this is just right for my friends from Sweden who are coming to visit in a couple of weeks! I know that she loves Brie and this sounds very special and not too rich (I say with a smile)! She is a marathon shopper when she's here so I'm sure we'll work it off at the outlets! Thanks.
    ...See More
  • lisazone6_ma
    14 years ago

I have to say when I eat brie plain, I cut off at least part of the rind, but when it's baked in pastry, the rind doesn't bother me. It's more the slight hardness of the rind compared to the soft, buttery cheese that bothers me. When it's heated and the pastry is there, it's not as noticable. I know - it's something nitpicky, but that's one of my little quirks!

I've had brie baked with a cranberry chutney and walnuts, and also with a portabello mushroom and carmelized onion topping as well - both wrapped in pastry. I bought them already made up like that, however, so I don't have a recipe.

I like it served with bread rounds as well - sometimes it's a little sloppy trying to smear it/balance a chunk on a little cracker! Especially at a party when you're trying to balance a drink in one hand, and eat with the other.

Anyway you serve it will be fine - of course, I love brie so it's always good to me!

Lisa

• eileenlaunonen
    14 years ago

Ive posted this before and when I serve it there not a sniff left. I cut the top off the brie and I carmelize onions (really carmelize until dark but not burnt) and put atop the exposed Brie and bake until Brie is creamy. People devour this its sooooooooo goooooood! I perfer this way to the fruit way but thats me.

• Solsthumper
    14 years ago

BBQ Kingpin, last fall I blogged about a favorite recipe using Brie. But I have another recipe I've been eager to try, although, I haven't posted it anywhere yet. But I will.

In regards to the rind, I agree with the guys above. Some people like the rind, others don't. I happen to like it, but there have been times when I've left it out, depending on the recipe. Yes, I'm actually quite complex ;-Þ

Sol

• bbstx
    14 years ago

For fast appetizers, I keep frozen phyllo cups and brie on hand. Put a little brie in each cup and top with a tiny bit of apricot preserves, fig preserves, pear preserves, or my favorite, Bronco Bob's Chipotle Apricot Sauce. Then I run them in a 350 degree oven for just a few minutes to melt the brie.

Last night we had mac and cheese made with brie and gruyere. Below is a link to the recipe. I do not use the figs because I am not a fig lover.

I eat the rind if the cheese is cold but cut it off if I am heating the cheese (love ham and brie with a slice or two of pear on a croissant grilled!). DH and I went to a cheese class once. The instructor said to always cut the rind off brie if it were going to be heated. When heated, the cheese melts but the rind turns sort of paper-y. Here is a recipe I was given at the class. It is delish!

Dried Fruit Compote with Brie

1 3/4 cups water
    1 cup sugar
    3/4 cups sweet wine such as Mondavi's Moscato d'Oro
    1/3 cup fresh lemon juice (juice from one large lemon) or orange juice
    6 strips lemon peel ( 1" x 3/4")
    8 oz pkg dried Black Mission figs
    6 oz pkg dried apricots
    1 cup dried tart cherries (appx 4.5 oz)

8 oz brie or Camembert cut into 8 wedges

Compote: In a medium saucepan combine all ingredients except cherries and cheese. Bring to simmer over medium-high heat until the sugar is dissolved. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the cherries and continuing simmering, stirring occasionally, until fruit is tender and juices are reduced to a medium-thick syrup, about 15 -20 minutes. Let cool to room temp. (Compote can be made 2 days in advance and refrigerated. Bring to room temp before serving. Makes about 4 cups.)

To serve, place a wedge of cheese on its side on each of 8 plates. Spoon compote over cheese.

Cut cheese when cold; bring to room temp before serving.

Good wine... Mocato d'Oro

Note: any combination of dried fruit may be used.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rosemary brie mac and cheese

• vwtx
    14 years ago

Hi. I'm just a lurker but love to cook, so thought I'd share my favorite brie recipe.

Top a wheel of brie with either freshly cooked crab or drained, canned crab and slivered almonds. Broil lightly to toast crab and almonds but not completely melt cheese. Serve with crusty bread and slices of fresh apple and pear as a palate cleanser.

• gbsim1
    14 years ago

I like the toasted pecans and brown sugar, but don't bother with the puff pastry. I sprinkle the brown sugar with a touch of brandy and then heat it all in the microwave. I do usually take off the top crust since I think it lets the brown sugar/pecans stick better to the cheese.

On hint though is to serve with Granny Smith apple slices instead of the usual crackers. The combination is heavenly.

Grace

• ruthanna_gw
    14 years ago

I like it en croute for winter parties but for summer ones, I make it with herbs instead.

BAKED BRIE WITH LEMON AND HERBS (makes 24 appetizer servings)
    1 cup loosely packed fresh parsley leaves, chopped
    1 Tbs. fresh thyme leaves, minced (can use basil or marjoram instead)
    1 tsp. grated fresh lemon peel
    1/2 tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
    1 wheel (2.2 pounds) cold ripe Brie cheese (about 7 1/2 inch diameter) or one 2 pound wedge
    apple wedges, grapes, assorted crackers

In small bowl, mix parsley, thyme, lemon peel and pepper. Set aside. With long slicing knife, cut Brie horizontally in half. Remove top layer; sprinkle all of parsley mixture over bottom layer. Replace top layer, rind side up. Wrap Brie in foil.

Let wrapped Brie stand at room temperature 1 hour. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place wrapped Brie on cookie sheet and bake 15 minutes. Remove cheese to wire rack and cool for 20 minutes. (If served hot, cheese will be too soft and runny). Unwrap Brie and carefully transfer to serving plate. Serve with apple wedges, grapes and crackers.

Notes: Do not remove white crust from the Brie or this recipe will flop. I dip the apple wedges in pineapple juice to keep them from turning dark. Looks especially pretty when served on a raised cake plate with fruit surrounding it.

As a side note, here's a good use for leftover Brie. Chop some walnuts to about the size of unpopped popcorn, about 1 Tbsp. per person. Toast them in a 325 degree oven for about 3-5 minutes, or until golden brown. Watch carefully as they can burn easily. Set aside. Lightly sprinkle one NY strip steak per person with Worcestershire sauce and spread it around on the steak. Then rub with cut garlic cloves, sprinkle with salt and pepper and broil or grill to doneness desired. Remove and cover top of steaks with toasted walnuts. Cover walnuts with thin slices of Brie cheese. Stick under broiler until cheese melts, usually about 1 minute. Serve and enjoy.

• lindac
    14 years ago

I perfect brie spread with jam and wrapped and baked is akin to putting a rolled rib roast in the oven with BQ sauce and slow cooking for 4 hours for sandwiches.....sure it's good....but that lovely roast will stand on it's own very well and a lesser cut of meat will make wonderful BBQ beef sandwiches.
    If you have a lovely Brie, perfectly ripe, just slightly falling when it's cut....please don't bake it! That perfect brie will not be one of those little rounds but a wedge cut from a 2 kilo round.
    For the times when I have had one of those little 6 or 8 oz rounds, I sometimes spread the top thickly with butter, add lots of slivered almonds, pour on a good tablespoon of cognac and top with a little 1/2 tsp, brown sugar.
    Put into a 450 oven for about 5 minutes and serve.
    Linda C

• gbsim1
    14 years ago

Now I've got a craving for Brie... if you do slightly warm in the microwave, be very careful as you just want it warm and a little touch softer than before. I usually don't think ahead and haven't let it sit out on the counter to come to room temp.

Anyway it can go from just warmish (what you want) to a pile of greasy goo in a couple of seconds.

Grace

• mustangs81
    14 years ago

My all time favorite easy-brieze brie appetizer is warmed brie with the rind covered with Roasted Raspberry Chipotle Sauce.

Here is a link that might be useful: Raspberry Chipotle Sauce

• pat_t
    14 years ago

My favorite way to have brie is to freeze the entire wheel of cheese. Slice it into wedges, batter with tempura and deep fry. Serve it with a smoked tomato salsa. YUM!

• Bizzo
    14 years ago

I splash a little amaretto on top of the rind, throw on some almond slices, bake it, and serve it with sliced apples and crostini or baguette slices. I love it. DH hates brie... oh, well.

• lowspark
    14 years ago

I didn't read the other responses so forgive me if this has already been posted. I do the recipe from the Pepperidge Farm website, only I make a couple of changes. I use a jalepeno jelly or some other sweet/hot jelly.

On top of the dough, I spread jelly, then chopped walnuts, then put the brie on top of that. Then add more walnuts on top of the brie and more jelly on top of that, then wrap and bake per the PF recipe instructions.

More jelly and nuts really make a difference I've found. Also, as the recipe suggests, it's important to let it rest about an hour after coming out of the oven. It's going to be melty and runny anyway, but that hour relievs at least a little bit of that.

P.S. I was with you when you bought that crock, David, and I remember!!

Have fun at your party!!

• mustangs81
    14 years ago

May, I forgot about that, I bought one of those crocks too!

Now where did I put that thing? With all of these recipes, it's going to get a workout.

• chase_gw
    14 years ago

The way I like Brie best is........

oh sorry gotta go, Clive is waiting on me, we're off to get a bite to eat.......see you tomorrow...LOL!!!

• caliloo
    14 years ago

I ahve several recipes that I just love... maybe one of them will appeal to you too! Whatever you make will be delish and have fun!

Hot Brie Kisses

2/3 lb. brie cheese
    2 sheets puff pastry (1 17.3 oz. box)
    hot pepper jelly or apricot preserves

Thaw puff pastry at room temperature for
    about 30 minutes. Unfold pastry and roll
    lightly with a rolling pin to remove
    creases. Cut each sheet into fourths, then
    cut each fourth in half. Cut each piece in
    half again to produce 16 even squares of
    dough per pastry sheet.

Lightly spray mini-muffin cups with
    vegetable oil. Fit a square of dough into
    each cup. The pointed edges of the dough
    should extend straight up.

Cut brie into " squares. Place a piece of
    cheese into each dough-lined cup. Top with
    ¼ tsp. pepper jelly or apricot preserves.
    (Do not try to increase either of these
    amounts, or theyÂre run over in the oven)
    Bake at 400 degrees for 10-15 minutes, or
    until golden.

You can put these together and then freeze
    them (prior to baking); youÂll need to add a
    little extra baking time.

MUSHROOM STUFFED BRIE EN CROUTE

1 small onion
    1/2 pound mushrooms
    2 tablespoons unsalted butter
    1 tablespoon dry Sherry
    1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
    a 17 1/4-ounce package frozen puff pastry sheets, thawed according to package directions
    a chilled 14- to 17-ounce wheel Brie
    1 large egg

Accompaniment: French bread slices or crackers

Mince enough onion to measure 1/2 cup and finely chop mushrooms. In a 9- to 10-inch heavy skillet cook onion in butter over moderate heat, stirring, until softened. Add mushrooms, Sherry, nutmeg, and salt and pepper to taste and sauté over moderately high heat, stirring, until liquid mushrooms give off is evaporated. Cool mushroom mixture.

On a lightly floured surface roll out 1 sheet of pastry into a 13-inch square and, using Brie as a guide, cut out 1 round the size of the Brie. Cut out a mushroom shape from scraps for decoration.

Horizontally halve Brie. Roll out remaining sheet of pastry into a 13-inch square and transfer to a shallow baking pan. Center bottom half of Brie, cut side up, on pastry square and spread mushroom mixture on top. Cover mushroom mixture with remaining half of Brie, cut side down.

Without stretching pastry, wrap it snugly up over Brie and trim excess to leave a 1-inch border of pastry on top of Brie. In a small bowl lightly beat egg and brush onto border. Top Brie with pastry round, pressing edges of dough together gently but firmly to seal. Brush top of pastry with some egg and arrange pastry mushroom on it. Lightly brush mushroom with some egg, being careful not to let egg drip over edge of mushroom (which would prevent it from rising). With back of a sharp small knife gently score side of pastry with vertical marks, being careful not to cut through dough. Chill Brie, uncovered, 30 minutes. Brie may be made up to this point 1 day ahead and chilled, loosely covered.

Preheat oven to 425°F.

Bake Brie in middle of oven until pastry is puffed and golden, about 20 minutes. Let Brie stand in pan on a rack 15 minutes and transfer with a spatula to a serving plate.

Serve Brie with bread or crackers.

Serves 8 to 10 as an hors d'oeuvre.

Pate Bites and Herb Brie Board Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray

Recipe Summary
    Difficulty: Easy
    Prep Time: 10 minutes
    Yield: 4 servings
    User Rating:

4 slices dark bread, pumpernickel or German whole grain, toasted
    4 tablespoons whole grain mustard
    1/2 pound country pate or mousse pate
    1/4 red onion, finely chopped
    4 tablespoons capers, drained
    1/2 pound herb brie
    Cornichons or baby gherkin pickles
    Water crackers
    Red seedless grapes

Spread toasted bread lightly with mustard. Arrange pate in thin layer on top of mustard. Top with chopped onions and capers. Cut each slice of bread into quarters. Arrange on a cheese board with a wedge of brie at room temperature, cornichons, crackers, grapes.

Wine Recomendation: Serve with champagne or try French or Sicilian rose wine.

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    14 years ago

When we were in France, we ate brie sandwiches - they had them to go in the airports and at train stations....on a baguette (of course). The brie was at room temp, sliced thick, and there was tomato and onion with them.

I had a nice sandwich for lunch the other day at a cafe near my house. It had warm grilled vegetables (eggplant, red pepper, zucchini, mushrooms and onion) on a crusty baguette with thick slices of room temperature brie. It was delicious!

So brie isn't just for hors d'oeuvres.

seagrass

• gbsim1
    14 years ago

Cailoo, when you make those Kisses do you take off any of the rind? Sounds great and I always am looking for uses for pepper jelly

Grace

• jimster
    14 years ago

I've never seen so many good ideas in one thread.

I must say however, that the one presented by Sharon is the most intriguing.

Jim

• lakeguy35
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all the recipes, info and ideas all y'all!!

I bought the little round ones but I did see the ones that LindaC mentioned....mmmmm I thought to myself..didn't have a clue... I'll have to get those for the next go around.

Cathy and May, LOL, remember how many shops we went to last minute looking for that....and I was still in the back seat with the rat...LOL!

Sharon, you may find yourself with a cutting board and knife tomorrow afternoon....I'll let you pick.

Thanks again friends! I will be saving this post for future reference and I will let y'all know what the final decision was. I'm running around last minute as always here tonight. I need a maid that's for sure..LOL!

David

• kathleenca
    14 years ago

Marigene posted this soup recipe in the Recipes forum in 2006. I just made it last week & think it is great.

Brie with Green Chile Soup

1 c chopped onions
    1/2 c chopped celery
    4 Tbsp butter
    2 Tbsp flour
    1 can (16-oz) chicken broth
    16-oz half-and-half (milk is okay too)
    1/2 lb Brie
    2 cans (4-oz) chopped green chiles (or preferably fresh roasted chiles)
    Salt and pepper to taste

Saute onions, celery in butter for 5 minutes. Wisk in flour. Then add in half-and-half and broth. Stir throughly. Add Brie to soup in small pieces. Stir until Brie is melted (about 10 minutes). Add green chiles, simmer for another 2 minutes and serve.

And, yesterday's Los Angeles Times features another Brie soup from a local restaurant that sounds very good.

Apple-Brie soup at Bistro du Soleil in Playa del Rey
    Makes about 1 quart soup.
    Total time: 1 hour
    Servings: 4

Note: Adapted from Bistro du Soleil. This soup can be made ahead of time through Step 3 and chilled; reheat the purée before continuing the recipe.

2 tablespoons butter
    1 small onion, finely chopped
    3 stalks celery with leaves, finely chopped
    2 large or 3 medium tart apples, such as Granny Smith, peeled, cored and diced
    2 tablespoons flour
    3 cups chicken broth, divided
    1/2 pound cold Brie, rind removed and cheese cut into 1/2 -inch cubes
    1/4 cup heavy cream
    1/2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme
    Salt and pepper
    Brown sugar to taste
    Parsley for garnish

1. In a large saucepan heated over medium heat, melt the butter. Stir in the onion, celery and apple and reduce the heat to low. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the contents are soft and slightly golden, about 10 minutes.

2. Sprinkle the flour over and stir to coat the contents. Continue to cook, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes to moisten the flour.

3. Whisk in 1 cup of the chicken broth. Increase the heat to medium and continue to whisk until the broth has thickened and begins to bubble, about 3 minutes. Whisk in the remaining broth and bring the contents to a brisk boil, stirring frequently. Reduce the heat to a gentle simmer, cover the saucepan and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and purée the soup in a blender or with an immersion blender. Strain the purée into a clean saucepan. The soup can be made up to this point and chilled; reheat the purée over low heat before serving.

4. Heat the purée over medium-low heat and stir in the Brie cubes. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the cheese is fully melted, then whisk until the soup is completely smooth. Whisk in the heavy cream and thyme, and season to taste with salt and pepper and optional brown sugar.

5. Garnish the soup with parsley before serving. This makes about 1 quart soup.

• lakeguy35
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks again for all the recipes everyone! I ended up doing the brown sugar and pecan thing. Sliced apples for dipping....it was a hit with most. I've saved these recipes for future parties or just for me. : )

David