SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leahcate

I miss my 'birth control' :)) :)) Do you?

leahcate
12 years ago

Birth control is what we laughingly called knee high hose.

Winter's coming with long pants, jeans. I love slim, almost skinny( prefer to call them cigarette) pants with flats and a bare legged- no socks-look. Do not like the feel of dampness( dewiness, surely, not sweat!)or the chill factor, either. Granted, that's not bad in Ca. Tried the demi socks, but whatever was small enough with low cut flats did not say put. Anyone have a solution for this? And, harking back to the old pantyhose discussion, aren't we a silly bunch to meekly follow fashion that makes no sense. Grrr.

Now, if I lived in a cold weather climate I'd wear socks and to heck with it!

OT: tried to correct my smiley faces on post title...no go. Why???

OOt: Does anyone still say "harking back"?

Comments (38)

• Oakley
    12 years ago

I still wear knee high hose. lol. I don't get the connection to birth control though. Explain.

Demi socks would be good for breaking in my new loafers until it gets cold, which will be tomorrow. lol. I've been wearing them barefoot with jeans in the heat so they'll stretch, and they have.

Beginning tonight will be the beginnig of long jammies!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

I miss nude knee highs too in winter and haven't found a great solution except now I wear boots more which are great with skinny jeans.

• Related Discussions

Birth Control Weight Gain

Q

Comments (3)
    I know you didn't ask this, but if you are having that much trouble keeping on a schedule with your BC, have you thought about depo-provera shots instead? They are once every 90 days, a simple injection. Extra added bonus: most women stop menstrating entirely- no PMS, no bleeding, no bloating, no mood changes. I've been on it for several years now and really am happy with it. I did gain some weight at first, about 10 pounds (also mostly in upper body), but I also had gone back to school at same time, which meant working less and sitting on my behind more (I was a vet tech and on my feet all day). I give myself my injection and save myself a trip to the doctor. But my health insurance covers the entire cost, including the doctor visits if I wanted to do that. I had a co-pay for birth control pills. The pills didn't help my anemia, fainting or vomiting during my period. Since I don't get a period anymore, I don't have those problems. Just a thought. Nobody had told me about Depo-provera; I had to ask about it. Check with your doctor about advserse effects if you are interested. People with certain conditions shouldn't take it.
    ...See More

New Low Dose Birth control Pill to stop periods - anyone try it?

Q

Comments (4)
    That sounds awful, that sounds like a good idea to at least look into taking it. The Mirena IUD is something else you could consider too. I've been having heavier and increasingly awful cramps and finally went to the doctor about it. She just told me to take more ibuprofin before my period started and to consider getting the Mirena IUD. I felt a bit brushed off, she gave me a pelvic exam but didn't test my hormone level or anything else. I hadn't heard about your periods getting worse when you get older-I'm forty one. Jen
    ...See More

Pregnancy and birth control?

Q

Comments (8)
    Chances you got pregnant are pretty much nil, so you should stop worrying. As far as IF you are, there are many people out there that are birth-control pill babies (I know that contradicts what I just said, but bear with me here). Those people are the ones that their mothers got pregnant while #1 being the .01% chance of getting pregnant failure rate while on the pill or #2 not taking the pill regularly, but still taking it. Since MOST of the time you've used double forms of control, again chances are very very very very (you get the idea) slim you're preg. As far as taking the preg test...read them, you may be able to still your fears and take them, I think EPT you can take them earlier than after a missed period. Vickey-MN
    ...See More

Birth Control Pills

Q

Comments (13)
    No I'm not a doctor. I suggest you ask your doctor what s/he means by "never go have to go through menopause." I *can* guarantee you that you will not remain reproductive for the rest of your life and that you will become post menopausal at some time - probably within the next 15 years. Whether the birth control pills keep the menopausal symptoms at bay during that time is very much an individual matter rather than a certainty. Once you have become post menopausal there are very few reputable physicians who would continue to prescribe the high doses of hormones present in oral contraceptives because of the risks these drugs pose in the post menopausal woman. So-called "hormone replacement therapy" contains much lower doses of both estrogen and progesterone and is thus safer than oc's.
    ...See More
  • mitchdesj
    12 years ago

I get the "birth control" part, lol; it means " don't let your lover/husband see you wearing those when you are undressing, they are really so uninspiring !!!

when I do wear them, I pull them off while I'm still dressed.

I live in cold winters and wear flats in the house with no socks; I'll pull on thin socks or sockettes/liners to go out with my boots.

• tinam61
    12 years ago

Knee high hose make me think of my elderly aunt who wears them - rolled down around her ankles. Lol

I too wear thin socks or the patterned trouser socks or the opaque ones that are more the weight of tights. I had on mules today. No toes and no heels. Dressy black sandals yesterday, flipflops tonight although currently barefoot. I HATE having to switch to shoes that cover my feet!!!

• deeinohio
    12 years ago

I haven't worn any kind of hose for many years. Do they not still make the knee high kind? I looked on the L'eggs website and it looks like they do. Are those not the ones you're looking for?

• tinam61
    12 years ago

Leah as to your question, what about some type insoles? Are there shoe liners? Lol

I've not heard them called birth control but i can see why! They are a turn off! Ha! I don' t believe i've heard the expression harking back either.

• dedtired
    12 years ago

Th elast few years that I was working I swore off knee highs forever. The first thing I'd do when I got in the car was pull them off. I think they are really bad for your legs, because if they are tight enough to stay up, they are bad for your circulation. I sure don't miss that "ring" under my knees.

I always wore pants suits, so I found some long-ish socks that looked kind of like you're wearing tights. In the summer I just wore sandals and a nice pedicure. Wish I could wear sandals all year, but my feet would turn blue!

Now I just wear thin black socks (retired)with most shoes. Leahcate, I'd just stick my bare foot in the shoes and go. Maybe a thin insole in the shoe would help get rid of the "dewy" feeling.

• leahcate
    Original Author
    12 years ago

deeinohio, I'm missing them cuz they are so waay out of fashion... and heaven forbid :>O :>)...so not looking for them.
    Thought of liners, but then the flats would likely not fit right. No good solution, I s'pose (rhymes with hose:>)
    Happy autumn all!

• emagineer
    12 years ago

Your post reminded me of my dorm supervisor in college. Her task to us when leaving for a date was "skirts down and feet on the ground". I got your statement right away, after looking at the post itself.

I haven't worn hose forever, since retirement. But they still make trouser socks which are very thin and much better than what was. Is anyone wearing "spanks"? Are they thin or have feet? I keep thinking these just move whatever around rather than actually slim. But everyone seems to rave about them.

• Oakley
    12 years ago

Trouser socks! That's what I wear. They're so close to knee hi's I mistook them. In fact I bought several new pairs not long ago.

• tuesday_2008
    12 years ago

I started wearing panty hose in the late sixties and thought I had died and gone to heaven! I wore dresses and skirts to high school and loved my panty hose with my wool A-Line skirts and crew sweaters and my cordovan colored Bass penny loafers - especially navy and black. No more garter belts or girdles, and of course the cool gals did not go bare-legged then.

Fast forward a few years and some genius came up with knee-highs because of course by that time most of us were into "pant suits". You just DID NOT wear socks with dress pants.

Like Tina, I sure dread to put shoes on with ANY kind of sock - will wear my open toes and flip-flops 'til the snow flies. I am just greatful that there are nice, thin comfortable trouser and crew socks to wear with our dress pants. I also like the sheer footy style socks that don't show with summer shoes that have the toe (ballerinas).

I'm just thankful to the hosiery designers who have made the changes as our fashions change.

PS: I will always wear panty hose in the winter when I wear a dresssy dress. Sshhhh!

Tuesday

• alisande
    12 years ago

We used to call Birkenstocks "birth control." LOL

I haven't worn knee-highs in a long time. I use baby powder/body powder in my summer shoes. In winter, it's wool socks all the way, unless I'm dressed up. In that case...... hmmm.......I can't remember the last time I got dressed up. ;-)

• patty_cakes
    12 years ago

I don't have a man/companion/significant other in my life, but i've always thought that stubbly, unshaven legs were a good form of birth control. ;o)

• Faron79
    12 years ago

This is toooooo funny, from a Male point-of-view!

I DO honestly sympathize with some of the weather-related issues about hosiery though!
    Depending on the outfit, I like the sheerer nylons on the Ladies, both young & older. Maybe it's just the "sleeker" look...I'm not sure...;-)

(hmmmmm....nobody's mentioning Thigh-highs....;-))

Faron

• lynninnewmexico
    12 years ago

LOL at the title of this post!!! Having not had to use real BC in many years, I ignored this post for a while thinking it for younger women.

Faron, you always manage to get be chuckling with your take on OT things . . . and you did it once again!

As for socks with jeans, I love wearing the slim, skinny jeans and slacks and have many pairs of them as it's, thankfully, a style I look good in! I also wear flats or boots with mine (I, sadly, can not walk in high heels). I don't give a hoot that fashionistas say hose are out of style and a no-no, I like them and wear them! With my slim slacks and jeans, I wear knee-high nylons or thin trouser socks.
    Lynn

• Faron79
    12 years ago

Lynn-

Darn right...I'll take on any topic!

Problem is, many times I find myself talking to....>>.... myself....;-)

Separately-
    DD often wears some real sheer short nylons with her jeans & fancy heels or flats. Her ankles are VERY tough though! All those years of figure-skating kinda beat that into you I guess!

Faron

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

I know a woman who calls beards (on men) birth control.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

I have always liked nude hose but I won't wear them as they are very much out of style. I think most women look better with them than bare but being such a huge fashion don't does effect my choices.

• dedtired
    12 years ago

I thought nude hose were back in, thanks to Kate Middleton and Pippa.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kate and Pippa

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

They're only back in for the truly fashionable and it's still at the top tier and then, not full force. The look hasn't filtered down to the masses at all.

• lynninnewmexico
    12 years ago

OMG, Bumblebeez, I had no idea that I was "truly fashionable" or "top tier"anything, LOL! I like nylons still but figure that I must just be a hanger-on-er from when they were last in fashion! (ROFLMAO!)

• busybee3
    12 years ago

years ago, when i lived in the deep south, i learned to 'not wear socks'...

i have lived in different climates since then and still often will not wear socks with pants. many of my shoes tend to be more clog-like, so it's easier to get away with! i remember feeling happy when i read that uggs and other shearling shoes should not be worn with socks! i always wear footies when i wear sneakers, and do infrequently wear kneehighs or trouser socks, depending on the occasion and the shoe!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

WE all ready knew you're top tier, Lynn!.

Yeh who cares, but I do like to keep up with what's in and out--a fallback to middle and high school where I was clueless and mercilessly picked on. When I got old enough to do something about it, I did and never looked back.
    I could care less what other people wear but I do prefer appropriate for the occasion attire.

• mahatmacat1
    12 years ago

I always thought of something like this as the best birth control...

Here is a link that might be useful: might want to turn down the volume?

• natal
    12 years ago

I like nude hose too. If I'm going to make the effort to get dressed up I'm going to finish the look. Bare legs just don't cut it for me, except on the very young.

• DLM2000-GW
    12 years ago

Don't know what tier I'm on. Don't know if I'm even ON a tier. Do I need to be invited or something? ;-)

But I'm just like natal on this one - if I'm dressing up, then expect me to be wearing hose, either nude or sheer black (pick your chins up off the floor!) and yes Faron - they are thigh high. I HATE panty hose.

• hhireno
    12 years ago

dlm, if you have to ask then you're not on a tier. Come sit by me on the tier-less level.

My sister's college graduation is this afternoon. She just called and asked me if she has to wear pantyhose. It's a cool October day but she is always, and I mean always, too hot. I said according to my website, hose isn't considered in style right now although the Middleton sisters are bringing it back into fashion. So, in other words, do what you want.

I can't stand the feeling of panythose but also don't have the legs to go bare so I deal with that by wearing pants. I do wear casual skirts in the summer when bare legs are appropriate.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

Top tier as in top of the fashion world, straight from the runway, couture shopping people and those who are prominent in determining fashion trends.

Everything that we wear generally has filtered down from those levels to become mainstream.

Straight leg jeans, skinnys/peg leg, are mainstream now but certainly weren't when they first appeared. But now they're everywhere. Nude hose has been out for quite a while, I don't care personally if you wear nude hose or mommy jeans, but they are not in style. For all those years nude hose has been out, black sheer was the typical replacement for those who wear hose. Many women, turned to pants instead.

I feel like on most women, nude hose still looks dated although they may make a big comeback.

Think of it as wallpaper, we all know what type of wallpaper is out and what is in but most of us do what we want anyway but being aware of trends doesn't mean we have to follow them.

• natal
    12 years ago

When I wore jeans 70s-90s they were all straight leg. Was that before or after they went "mainstream"?

I think some women are kidding themselves that bare legs look better. You can call hose dated ... I call it a smart call for those in the know. ;)

~~ from someone who's never been a slave to fashion trends and proud of it

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

I only said nude hose is dated and I certainly clarified about 32 times that it has nothing to do with what you like-yes,most women look better with nude hose rather than bare legs. But read any fashion mag from the last 6 years+ and nude hose is out.
    For those who want and wanted to be in style, they either went bare legged, wore black hose or tights or wore pants.

If you want to wear nude hose, go ahead but don't delude yourself that it's in style!

• natal
    12 years ago

Like I said ... couldn't care less what's in style and never read fashion magazines (or decorating ones for that matter).

• tinam61
    12 years ago

I'm going to chime in here. I don't read fashion magazines either. For one reason, I don't think they are indicative of what is in style at our "tier", if that's what you want to call it. Perhaps it has to do with where you live also. For instance, I won't say that nude hose are outdated. Yes, in years past I have seen alot of black hose (which is what I try to wear if I absolutely MUST wear hose), tights (which you can't wear with every type dress), and my favorite - pants. LOL!! I still see alot of nude hose on ladies in this area - ladies who are fashionably dressed. I also think we've heard so much about Katherine and Pippa and their nude hose, that we will see more of them.

What's in-style or current, etc. in NYC is not what is the look here in Tennessee.

I have to say re jeans, I see many more women here wearing the slightly flared leg than the skinny jeans. You may remember that I work at a college, and I do see girls there in the skinnies. The skinnies that are tight enough to look like leggings LOL. IMO, that is who they look best on, the younger girls. I don't think at my age (staring 50 in the face!), that skinnies are the look for me. Another trend - we talked about maxi dresses earlier on this forum, well after that conversation, I started looking more closely at what people were wearing. Again, I saw many more under 30 gals with the maxi dresses. Most were younger than that. They were popular with the college set. I really think they are cute, but I am too short to carry that look off, plus I don't think I could stand all that fabric around my legs. Things like that bug me. Age wise - I'm not so sure.

I want to have an updated, current look but I really prefer to have my own style and don't worry about having/wearing what everyone else is wearing or what someone says is the style. Some trends, I like and are favorable on me, some I don't and they're not LOL. I like classic seperates that continue to look current through the years, and update them with trendy jackets, sweaters, accessories, etc. That's just me.

While I don't read fasion mags, I will admit to being slightly adicted to home deco mags. LOL Recently downloaded two trial subscriptions to my nook. It IS cheaper!!

Just my two cents worth on fasion!

tina

• patty_cakes
    12 years ago

I like black opaque tights, but several years ago started wearing black fishnets when getting a little more dressed up, and wanted something not quite so typical. Now before you jump the gun, they're not your 'ho' fishnets, but something a little classier. ;o)

Here is a link that might be useful: Macy's

• busybee3
    12 years ago

if i'm wearing a shorter dress any other time of year besides summer, i usually wear panty hose---love ultra sheer pairs.

i remember fishnets from years ago, but haven't seen any being worn for many years! i wonder if that is a regional trend?? and, i've never seen nude colored fishnets! do they hold up as well as regular pantyhose?? (maybe they hold up better than the ultra sheers...!)

• patty_cakes
    12 years ago

Could be a regional thing. I was in CA at the time, the land of anything goes. I'm now in Austin, and still have them, so will be giving them a try as soon as the weather 'decides' to cool off a bit. ;o)

• Happyladi
    12 years ago

Sometimes I think aren't we silly about what's "in" and what's "out"? I can't comfortably go without some kind of sock or hose in my shoes as I have to wear orthotics in my shoes. They are very uncomfortable against my feet without something in between.

I bought some of those tiny footsies but with ballet flats they show. I tried trouser sock and they aren't right either. I was just thinking about this today and had decided to try nude knee highs when I came across this thread!

I'm going to buy some and I honestly don't think anyone will care and if they do, it's just too bad for them!

Another thing that makes me shake my head is the ugly thick dark plastic eyeglass frames that the fashion industry has decided is what is in style.

Now I'm an optician and I sell them all the time because that is what some people like but I honestly think they flatter VERY few women. I really like stylish eyeglass frames but this is one style I really hate.

• pammyfay
    12 years ago

Leahcate: You might want to hop on over to the Footsmart web site. It has some interesting specialty nylon/sock wear.

• leahcate
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey, thanks pammyfay, I'll go have a look. I bought the little footie things from Nordstrom's and they do stay on with flats... pretty well, but go flying across the room when first putting them on if I'm standing up ;>) If it gets very chilly I will either not wear my slim legged pants or wear very thin trouser socks. Heftier( think loafers, etc) type shoes I normally wear with socks look awful with the slim pant. I just cannot go back to the knee highs (BC ha!)yet. As for dresses or knee length skits, there is no way in h**l I'd not be wearing panty hose, Princess K. and sis approved or not!