SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kismet08_gw

EA retracting financing options?

kismet08
14 years ago

I just got the strangest email. A loooong time ago, DH and I walked into an EMPTY Ethan Allen store. We were looking for new furniture for our living room, but were extremely put off by EA's approach to sales. I don't intend to buy there, most likely ever - but we ended up on the designer's mailing list anyway. Usually I just ignore the emails. This one today took me by surprise. Here it is:

"Please note we have been recently notified by our corporate office of the following. Due to the new "Credit Card Act of 2009", no businesses will be allowed to offer interest free, payment free financing as of February 22, 2010. For Ethan Allen, This means we will not be offering our 6 month same as cash option, nor any other extra interest free, payment free financing promotions any more as of February 2010. We will still have our low interest term choice option. As far as I know, the attached finance offer will be our last. We will continue to offer our 6 month option for as long as we can. We do not know at this point when we will discontinue that."

Now, I found that hard to believe, so I pulled up the Bill and read it in its entirety. I found nothing in this bill that would prohibit such promotional offers. The only thing I did find was that they would require lenders to fully disclose the true cost of such financing, presuming that the consumer failed to complete payment at the end of the term. I believe that in all likelihood, this is what EA objects to. Call me nuts, but that seems like a bad business practice for an industry that can't be doing well in a down economy.

Does anybody else know something I don't? I don't have a law degree, so maybe I'm missing something. Of course, this didn't stop me from providing the rep with some polite feedback. I simply asked her to pass on to corporate.

Comments (22)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County