SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
parrothead_fa

Thermostat with user selectable on and off temperatures?

parrothead_fa
12 years ago

Hi, does anyone know where I might be able to find a thermostat that lets you select the on/off temps, or if they even make such a thing? I have found that my wife and I can be comfortable and save the most energy if our air conditioner was to come on at 81 degrees and switch off at 79. this small swing does not bother us, and I have found (by simply manually switching the system on at 81, and off at 79, t stat is located by my desk) that i save the most energy on our electric bill. The system runs long enough that it keeps the humidity in our home very low (18-24%), and yet is off for an hour or more at a time between runs. i know a lot of you may be thinking, 80 degrees in a house comfortable? But with our arthritis, and on a 90 degree day with 80% humidity outside here in south Florida, 80 degrees at 19% humidity feels just fine to us.

since we are home all the time, we don't need and wouldn't use a programmable thermostat, and I've see none that are non programmable that have any sort of swing adjustment at all. I'm reluctant to try a programmable t stat because I find most of them rather confusing, and I'm also reluctant to give up the thermostat we have now, because it works so well. But it has no swing adjustment, and when set at 79, will come on at 80 and off at 79. The reason I'm reluctant to try another t stat is when we got our new AC installed, they gave us a brand new digital thermostat, supposed to be better than the basic digital one we are using. However, this one would short cycle the system rapidly, turing it on for about 5-6 mins, and off for about 5, then back on again. I would have thought the sytem oversized, except that a manual J was done, and that I really wasnt feeling a difference in temp at all. So on a hunch, I put the old t stat back, and the system now generally runs for around 25-35 mins depending on the temperature outside, and is off for between 30 and 40 mins between cycles. So if I got another super sensitive thermostat, adjusting the swing to go on at 79 and off at 81 wouldn't be a bit of help if it turned the system on and off every 5 or 10 mins. Anyone got any ideas, or am I just an old man with too much time on my hands, lol.

Dave

Comments (6)