SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
moon1234_gw

To Repair or Not To Repair, That is the question

moon1234
14 years ago

My wife and I own a Bosch WFK2401 front load washer that we bought back in 2000 with the matching dryer. It motor recently started to make that playing card stuck in the bike tire sound which indicates the brushes in the motor are end of life.

I replaced the brushes in the motor about 2 years back for the first time. When I took the motor out this time I noticed a LOT of carbon dust on the bottom of the washer. Most likely from the two worn sets of brushes. I ordered replacement brushes and spent a few hours cleaning the motor up. It was super filthy. I learned never to vacuum up carbondust cause it will stick to every part of the vacuum and doesn't easily wash off (it needs to be wiped off). I noticed that the armature was looking worn. It was worn down some where the last two sets of brushes came in contact. I replaced the brushes anyway thinking if I got another year out of it I would be happy.

After reinstalling the motor and turning the machine back on, the front LED display no longer turns on. I took apart the front control panel and found a hairline crack in the PCB board. No doubt the cause of the problem as the crack went right thru several traces.

I looked up the price of the PCB board part and it is around $130. No guarantee that it will fix the problem, although I am pretty sure this is what the problem is.

The washer has done about 10,000 loads of laundry since we have had it. It has only done cloth diaper duty the last 2 years. About 2 loads a day consisting of 2 Rinse/Spins to get rid of the yuck, then a full cold wash followed by a Powerboot sanitary cycle. So it is really doing about 8 wash cycles a day, 365 days a year for two years. We have two in diapers now and one more on the way.

Doing some math I think if I order the PCB now I will need a new motor somwhere inside of a year which is around $200 shipped. So I will be in for $370 if I do all the repairs. My wife and I also own Miele W4840 for the rest of our clothes. We wanted the diapers seperate from the regular clothes. There are seven of us now so the Miele usually does two loads of laundry a day as well.

Would you spend the money on repairs or just look at getting a new washer? I am not too hot on the new Boschs. They seem to have gone down hill quality wise. You need to buy the uber machines to get the same features the wfk2401 has. Either the top end AXXIS model (Which I hear is no longer made in Germany, or the NEXXT line which people seem to have mixed reviews). Both line would run around $1000 for the washer. (We bought the wfk2401 washer/dryer PAIR for that money in 2000)

The local appliance outlet is selling the Miele W4840 for $1799 with a $200 rebate and additional energystar rebate of $100. So an additional W4840 would be $1499. The practical side of me is saying to dump the WFK2401 as it has lived its life and get a new W4840 that I can use for all the kids down the road (And hopefully another 10-15 years of use.)

The rational side of me says to pay the $370 and just save the extra cash. What would you do?

P.S.

I looked at Asko and they seem so cheap compared to the Miele.

Comments (3)