SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marcuswelbymd_gw

Horrible Installer?

marcuswelbymd
15 years ago

Hi,

I'm purchasing 3 new heatpump systems to replace my existing oil furnace and ac units. The oil furnace heats a very small quantity of hot water that circulates through Aquacoils in the air handlers. The AC units are GMC's about 9 years old.

The new equipment is all Goodman, which I've heard is pretty good.

Part number Size rating

GSh140181 1.5 ton 14 SEER

gsh1401241 2 ton 14 SEER

gsh140301 2.5 ton 14 SEER

aepf182016 2 ton air

aepf303616 3 ton air (quantity 2)

The tonnage is based on the existing system, which seemed to work pretty well as an AC units, cycling about every 1/2 hours on a hot days.

The overall system is supposed to be 15 seer with the variable speed air handlers.

But I'm really concerned about my installer now. The first unit leaked all the freon out after 1 day. Then he recharged it, it leaked out again. Finally, he fixed it, but he was going to put in some "reclaimed" freon from another job. I absolutely refused that, and insisted on a clean new tank.

Now the air is howling thru my vents! He says that I need another return and more ducts. How can this be true if the existing system worked so well?

Making matters worse, he tracked dirt in on the carpets, left hand prints on the walls, and left my furnace out of commission (and no hot water for the house) because the caps leaked where he removed the aquacoils. It took him 3x to get a good solder joint on those cold water-filled pipes.

I have 2 more systems to go. Is this typical or OK? Should I let him continue, or should I get someone else to finish the job?

Comments (7)