SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marcuswelbymd_gw

Question about variable speed blowers and txv's

marcuswelbymd
15 years ago

My 3,600 square foot house has 3 AC and oil heat zones, all being replaced by heat pumps.

2 of the 3 new units have been installed. It's 94 degrees outside today and the 2 ton unit seems to be handling the upstairs with ease, running about 50%-60% of the time. I'm wondering if we could have gotten by with 1 1/2 tons.

The existing downstairs unit is 2 1/2 tons because it cools a slightly larger area. But I'm wondering if that is too much. It has conditioned space above it and an insulated crawl space below, whereas the upstairs unit has to contend with an attic space that gets very hot and cold. Making matters worse, we have a very long hall upstairs with three huge storage rooms that are unheated attic space. The doors are insulated and weather stripped, but I'm sure that there is still some air leakage. So maybe 2 tons would be enough?

On the other hand, does it really matter?

Given that all these systems are 15 SEER with variable speed air handlers and txv's does it matter much if they are over sized?

When the air handler slows down, what exactly happens? Does the liquid freon remain under pressure after the compressor stops [I'm assuming that the compressor is constant speed on/off] and then slowly release into the evaporator coil as needed?

In other words, will I still get the dehumidification that I need, and also keep my power bills low if the units are oversized by 1/2 to maybe even a full ton?

Can you just dial the system back by lowering the cfm setting on the air handler? And still run efficiently?

Comments (4)