SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
homergreg

6 year old Frigidaire Gallery FL go Boom :(

homergreg
13 years ago

I've learned a great deal about my 3.1 cubic foot bomb of a Frigidaire this past week. All about spider arms and bearings and engineers who think it is a good idea to mix aluminum and stainless steel and put that in hot laundry water and air dry for years and years. I've found out that such a combination lasts for about 5 to 7 years, and it looks like I made it about the average. I've learned that the cost to repair the washer is about 75% of what I paid for it.

It's understandable that any company (Electrolux) can produce a bad design once in a while. Companies do that all the time, usually they learn from their mistakes and improve their designs. But did Electrolux do that? NO!!! They are still making that same darn washer under new names and model numbers!!

So if anyone is looking for a new FL washer, and space (mainly depth) is a consideration and you see a FL that is a bit smaller, look inside the door. If you see Electrolux inside, ask yourself if you want to use it more than 6 years. Then run away!

It is a very strange world that we live in where washers have been made so much more energy efficient in the last few years, but the washer itself has become disposable. How green is that? I read that the life expectancy of a washer is now 10 years? Why?? Automobile manufacturers are making cars more efficient and durable than ever. Maybe Ford and Honda need to show appliance makers how it's done.

I'm going the other way now! The Speed Queen arrives tomorrow. It may be a water guzzling hog, but it won't be in the landfill in 7 years either. I'll change the shower head for a water saver and take showers instead of baths and call it even. May the green gods have mercy on my soul. I would rather have 40 year old solid engineering than new crappy engineering any day. I wish American manufacturers would realize that there are many of us that would pay more money for items of quality than pretty pieces of crap with bells and whistles!

Excuse the rant, but after days of shopping for a washer when the laundry is piling up you get this way. And did I say stay away from the 3.1 Electrolux?

Comments (5)