SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mikeinmayberry

220V mini-split A/C wiring questions...

mikeinmayberry
13 years ago

also posted on the wiring forum...

New here...I like what I've seen so far. I'm a jack of all trades, retired, working on a 2nd home I've recently purchased. This home, the money pit, is a 1-1/2 story with a full basement. The top room has a "mini-split" heat pump...darn thing wouldn't work. Upon further investigation I found the outside compressor was a 220V unit wired as a 110V. I called a local A/C outfit and they said I could remove the dedicated single 15A breaker, add a 15A 2 pole (30A) in its place. As the panel is 2 storys below in the basement, and all I have is 14/2 + bare grnd wiring, he suggested I hook the 2 pole breaker up with the black & white, and run the bare ground to the neutral bar. Now the A/C works (I do not need the heat pump to function). Everytime I leave this 2nd home, I shut the breaker off as I really have doughts this is correct. I haven't found a easy way to run a new 14/3 + grnd (or 14/4 if I want the heat pump to work) without tearing up a lot of sheetrock. An I over thinking this? I'd hate to burn the place down. Advice appriciated...Mike in Mayberry

Comments (8)