SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cooldyood

Mini split a/c for my old house?

cooldyood
8 years ago

Hello,

My house in DC has a main floor, 3 bedrooms on second floor and a finished basement. About 750 sq. feet on each floor. It has gas + radiator + programmable thermostat for heat and window a/c units for cooling.

My yearly cooling bill runs ~$100 but my heating bill is really high, on average $1,700 per year.

This year, I've turned off radiators altogether and am trying space heaters instead. I also put together an elaborate excel spreadsheet with hourly electric usage and complex formulas.

Even with a renter in my basement who is often home all day and two heaters on every night, I am estimating my total heating bill this winter to be no more than $450! Savings can clearly be allocated to the fact that (1) heaters are only on when we are home, and (2) we are only heating rooms we actually use.

I have been surprised that one space heater has been sufficient each for the main floor and basement. Especially, given the poor rating by energy audit.

With all this said, there are a couple of things that I'd like to improve:

1) In the mornings, I come down to turn the main floor heater on so the space gets warm by the time I shower and get ready for work. I would really like the ability to do this via wifi.

2) Hallway on the second floor is somewhat cold in the mornings.

I am evaluating replacing the space heaters with a 1 Ton Pioneer ductless a/c with four inside units - one each on the main floor, basement and two larger bedrooms.

Is this doable? Will it cause my electric bill to shoot up?

Comments (10)