SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mickey1501

Are hotel room safes really safe?

Mickey15
16 years ago

My mom and I just booked a trip to Disney for December with my daughter. We are SUPER excited! Eleven months seems so long to wait!! Of course, it's all that's been on our minds since we booked the trip. My mom is about as much a Disney freak as I am, except she loves Dopey the dwarf, and I love Mickey. Anyway, we've never taken a trip like this. I went to Disney twice when I was younger (16 and 20 yrs. old) but went with a group and everything was pre-arranged. We were wondering how people normally handle their spending money. When I was younger I took traveler's checks, but are those even common anymore? We don't want to carry all our cash on us every day, but weren't sure what else to do. Possibly get a pre-paid Visa gift-card thingy and load our money onto that? Or just take cash and keep it in the room safe and take out what we need each day? But we were concerned about who all actually has access to key/combination for the room safes.

Can you guys tell me h ow you usually handle spending money when you go on a trip? Also if anyone has advice for us while at Disney, I'd love to have it. We are driving there, leaving on Dec. 26th and arriving on the 27th, then leaving Disney on Jan. 3.

Thanks for any advice!

Tammy

Comments (27)

• theladyinredfromokla
    16 years ago

The room safes are safe. Maids/housekeepers wont have access to the safes. In my opinion I would take half of the cash you needed and then if you have a debit card you could draw cash from that at an ATM. Do NOT leave cash in the room!! And just know that anything you leave in the room...will probably be gone thru by the housekeepers. I hope that mine dont do that...and they have been put through the ringer about touching guests things(it is not allowed) I dont allow them to even move things on the sink or the tub. They can clean around it..but they arent supposed to touch it, but that isnt so at MOST properties.
    Have fun on your trip....a whole year of anticipation,,,oh boy!!!!

• tami_ohio
    16 years ago

Mickey, I wish I would have known you were going to book it then. I would have told you not to. We went with the kids about 10 years ago, left Dec. 26 came home the following week in time for them to go back to school. It was terrible. You couldn't move in the parks with so many people, and talk about rude! Everyone was there for the holidays. On Jan 1, it was a totally different place! No waiting in lines, no rude people. Even at the ages the kids were then, we kept a tight hold on them at all times. You were literally shoulder to shoulder tight because there were so many people. I hope that isn't the case when you go. Part of the problem might have been the fact that they were celebrating Disney's 25th anniversary, but it sure was crowded.

I hope this doesn't spoil your anticipation, but I want you to be aware it could happen.

We have never used a hotel safe. We take X amt of cash and use the credit cards for the big stuff, like gas rooms and most food. I don't know if you will need cash for food on site or not. I can't remember.

Tami

• Related Discussions

Underground safe room/storm shelter - recommendations?

Q

Comments (8)
    We put a cold cellar under our front porch, which we will use for wine storage and also a safe room. We used forms that were built on site for the walls. They were made of wood that clipped together. The concrete was poured into the forms to form the walls of the room. We then put a prefab concrete slab on top, that makes the floor of the porch and the ceiling of the shelter. We enter it under our stairs in the lower level, through an insulated door. Of course, the grade is up to the level of the porch, so you don't even know it is there from the front. The first photo is of the slabs waiting to be put on. The second photo has the slabs put on, with a layer of waterproof material. We poured cement over the whole thing, including the front porch to the door. The third photo is of the entrance to the room, the first door is at the landing, the further door will be the entrance to the room, an outside door. catch(e) ">" href="http://bp0.blogger.com/_9vEvn0RmOV4/RuxDfD9SMnI/AAAAAAAABKk/elCx-6R0nqs/s1600-h/prefab+concrete.jpg"> catch(e) ">" href="http://bp1.blogger.com/_9vEvn0RmOV4/RuxDfT9SMoI/AAAAAAAABKs/ZeqvKFjun58/s1600-h/prefab+ready+for+pour.jpg"> catch(e) ">" href="http://bp2.blogger.com/_9vEvn0RmOV4/RuxDfj9SMpI/AAAAAAAABK0/iULIrFKaQTg/s1600-h/prefab+door.jpg">
    ...See More

Need large common room fireplace safe for asthma

Q

Comments (9)
    I don't have one and I can't get one because: my chimney is on the outside of my house (so it would be a waste of money), my floor won't support it, and my wallet can't support the upgrades required for it (floor and chimney). However, if I were building a new home I would get one for the center of the house and possibly an insert for other sections of the house where you need faster heat and don't want to have to rely on your central hvac. Also, when you design your air returns make sure you take the heat from your wood burning appliance into account since you can use your hvac fan to distribute it around your house if it's in a good location. I won't go on in detail because I'm no expert but there are plenty of stories on this forum. As for the chimney... There are lots of problems with a chimney being on the outside of your house. It's terribly inefficient since you really can't get the masonry mass hot due to the majority of it being in an uninsulated space and that will cause it to cool down extremely quickly and possibly cause a downdraft when your coals aren't hot enough to sustain the upward draft. Read through this forum and the one on hearth.com and you'll get all the info you need. I would definitely consider calling in an engineer with experience in 1) masonry heaters, 2) air distribution and 3) plumbing (because some people run hot water pipes through masonry heaters for radiant heating - BONUS!!!). Don't work with the architect alone, make sure you have some experts in there somewhere. It may cost you more up front, but I think it's definitely worth it on the back end. Oh yeah, are you going to get the house pre-wired for an alarm? If so, good idea and that's a discussion for another forum. ;-)
    ...See More

Re-wiring old lamps - is it really safe?

Q

Comments (16)
    Some lamps have a velvet fabric to protect from scratches. Once you pull that off, you'll see the nut that keeps the whole thing together. It depends on the lamps. I'd try to take off the socket first. Sometimes you can just disconnect that and the whole wire will pull out. Thread a new wire, add new socket, bingo. You're pretty much done. BTW, it was BAKE cookies, not back cookies (for the record, I hate snickerdoodles!)
    ...See More

C'mon JOIN our Facebook Laundry Room Page (Safe & PRIVATE)

Q

Comments (17)
    Understood Jody, we're not going anywhere nor do I want to pressure anyone. Just in the rare instance something happens to the site we can all find each other. We also chat about things other than laundry. It's more like a group of people writing messages and randomly commenting about life.
    ...See More
  • Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    16 years ago

I just returned from vacation. When I checked in, I was made aware that I was being charged for both parking, and the safe per day. There was a box on the form that I checked and initialed noting that I was aware that I was being charged for the safe, and that I could have the charge removed at checkout time.

I assume there would also be some sort of arrangement if I had flown in, and been shuttled or something to the motel, with no vehicle to park. Whatch out for additional charges for things you are not using.

I carried some cash on me, and an ATM card to get more $$ if/when I wanted any.

Have fun!
    Sue

• monica_pa Grieves
    16 years ago

I've used safes many times, for years. Never expected or had a problem. Any in-room safe I used has you create your own combination number to re-open it.

As to money at Disney. If you are registered at a Disney hotel, you can specify at check-in that you want your room key card to also be a charge card, and be put onto the credit card used ot pay your bill. That way, the amount of money to be carried around is almost nil.

I haven't seen anyone use traveler's checques in years, and Disney as ATMs all over the place...just use your own ATM card, or get an AMEX gift card or a gift card loaded up at your bank.

Best way, tho, is to just charge to your room.

• Mickey15
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Monica, if I choose for my key-card to also be a charge card can I use it at the parks as well? We are staying at a Disney hotel.
    I was only worried about using my atm card that I somehow lost it, the person who found it would have access to my checking account. I've never lost it before, so I don't know why I'm worried about that. I actually never carry cash normally, and only use my atm/debit card for everything.

Tami, hopefully it will die down a little bit after we get there. We will probably do the Animal Kingdom the first day (the 28th) so it will be the 29th by the time we start the other 3 parks, which we haven't decided what order we'll do those yet.

Sue, I didn't read that they charge you extra for parking or for the room safe. They charge extra for everything else though! Internet access in the room is $9.95 a day!

And thank you for the advice ladyinred! I appreciate it.

• monica_pa Grieves
    16 years ago

Yes, you can use as a charge card for anything within the parks. And if you buy stuff - they will deliver it to your room...they make spending money real easy.
    No charge for parking if you are staying at a Disney hotel. At least we never paid.
    What hotel are you staying at? We're going down next month - staying at the Caribbean Resort.

• jannie
    16 years ago

Travelers checks and an ATM are alwats safe ways to carry money. Also, every hotel or motel I've stayed in has an office safe all guests can use. I once locked my purse in a room safe and couldn't remember the combination. The hotel employees opened it for me, no problem.

• czech_chick
    16 years ago

DH and I are going to WDW first week of May.

I found these two sites extremely helpful.

http://www.allearsnet.com/

http://www.disboards.com/

• golfergrrl
    16 years ago

Yes, room safes are safe.
    December at Disneyland is absolutely NUTS!

• Mickey15
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Monica, we are staying at Disney All-Star Movies Resort. I'm hoping that we get a room in the Fantasia section. I read that you can have any items bought sent to your room-that's pretty neat that you're not stuck carrying things around all day.

Thanks czech chic, i had found allearsnet but haven't came across disboards yet. Am going to go check it out now.

• angela_nor_calif
    16 years ago

I don't know anything about the room safes just wanted to say have fun. I LOVE Disneyland and so do my kids. We try to go once a year. We usually go the week right after the kids go back to school from Christmas vacation. It's never been busy and the Christmas decorations are still up so we can enjoy them too. The only iffy thing about that time of year is the weather. A couple of years ago we went and it rained and rained - it actually snowed on the grape vine. It was one of the best times we ever had.

• iowagirl2006
    16 years ago

Mid January is the best time for no lines at Disney, but I bet Christmas time is neat. Be prepared for long lines and lots of people.

We used our room keys for everything (just keep track - or you will be bowled over with your bill!)

I have stayed at All-Star Movies and All-Star Music. Both are great value resorts.

You can purchase a mug (it was around $14 two years ago) at your All-Star resort. Then you can fill it for free at the resort with pop or whatever they have at the main drink station at the dining hall (you can't take them with you into the parks for free refills though).

It sounds expensive - but you can easily get your moneys worth with those mugs. You can use them for coffee also, but not orange juice or milk. Those aren't "dispensed", but sold in individual packages.

• msmarion
    16 years ago

I love Walt Disney World. We stay at Camp Wilderness. It's the coolest campground anywhere. There is so much to do there you wouldn't have to go anywhere else. Last time we went we rented one of their cabins. Sleeps 6, full bath and kitchen with a grill on deck. We use our room key for purchases and the service to deliver them to your room. It makes it so easy. I hate carrying bags.
    Our favorite time to go is the last week of September...all the kids have gone back to school and there are no lines for the rides.
    I now have a GW friend who is employed as photographer @ Disney World. Mickey send me an email and lets see what she can do to make your daughter's trip extra special. Linda would love to do it.
    Marion

• susanjf_gw
    16 years ago

it seems the more we go places (usually over dd1's), the less cash we take and use the atm card for almost everything...the machines or a bank are almost on every corner and then every other corner has a drug store with a machine (fees are about $2) or cash back. bet disney has them at several places in the park.

my one advice is to be there the moment they open. hit the bigger rides asap, then smaller. at noon go back to the hotel, eat and take a nap. about 3ish head back into the park for round 2, lol...you, your dd, and mom, are rested and ready to go. stay for the parade...then back again.
    havn't been to "world" but spent many happy times at dl...we did that one year with uncle and a his 6 kids...that was the days of "tickets" and people pulling tired and screaming kids handed them over, lol...

• kickypants
    16 years ago

Gone to DL several times both on and off property. We leave everything in the safe, except what we need for the day. Take at least 1/2 in cash....lots of little vendors are better with cash. WHen their machines go down, you can't buy a thing unless you have cash.
    Don't leave any cash or valuables loose in your room...use the safe.
    My 2 best pieces of advise are:
    I'd highly recomend buying some Crocs for all that walking. We usually go for a week or two and I just bring 2 pairs of crocs...no runners. Very happy feet. Also bring a small, small backpack to put your daily junk into. They are allowed to go on all the rides with you and are great for keeping cameras safe.
    Have so so so so much fun!!

• Mickey15
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Angela, I would be so bummed if it snowed! We'll be looking forward to getting away from yucky snowy Ohio weather, that would be our luck that it would snow! LOL!

Iowagirl, I'm glad to find someone here that stayed the same place. I've been reading reviews, and they are pretty mixed. We're not too picky though, so I think we'll be happy there at the All-Star Movies resort. Also, I read about the mug that you mentioned, but hadn't found out how much it was, so thank you for telling me about that. We were planning on doing that. What did you think of their Food Court? Did you eat there a lot?

MsMarion, I emailed you through your Mypage.

Susanjf, I like your idea about heading back to the hotel for lunch and a break and then heading back for the parade. That sounds good, I'll see what my mom thinks.

And Kickypants, my mom mentioned that she thought she would wear her crocs, maybe that's what I will do too. Also, I like your idea of a backpack, I was thinking a fanny-pack but I like the backpack idea better.

Thanks everyone so much for these tips and suggestions, I love them.

• monica_pa Grieves
    16 years ago

They've had those refill mugs for years...when we go next month, i'll check the price out for you.

Althought the price is tempting, I stay away from the Music and All Star resorts because there are a lot more families and children there. Also, in the spring, it's where the Senior school trips stay. So, we just take a small step up in price and go to the Caribbean resort hotel.
    After all, unless it's late spring or summer...you're not going there to sit by the pool all day...or anywhere else at the hotel.
    we eat either in one of the parks or at the hotels. I especially like Park fair at the Grand Floridian or the bistro in France in Epcot for dinner, and the Liberty Tree tavern in the Magic Kingdom for lunch.

• gardenspice
    16 years ago

It is really not a good idea to travel with a lot of cash. I'd use a debit or credit card.
    Don't be lulled into thinking that Disney hotels are any safer than your average tourist lodging, just because you at the "happiest place on Earth" (ah hemm..).
    A colleague had her laptop stolen from her room there.
    TBS, the safes should be safe.
    Have fun!

• naughtykitty
    16 years ago

Are you going to Disneyland or Disney World? I go to Disneyland all the time. In fact, I went yesterday (I have a pass). If Land, then I can give you all sorts of hints, but I don't know much about the hotels.

This summer I went to Puerto Vallarta. Both hotels had a safe and we used them for everything of value with no problems at all. I had never used a hotel safe before and I was very impressed.

Hope you have a great trip!

• Mickey15
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Monica, I started a notebook with all my notes etc that I want to remember for our trip. I wrote down your restaurant suggstions, thank you for that. And that would be great if you let me know how much the mugs are. I didn't check pricing at Carribean Resort hotel, I just entered my information and they came up with suggesting the all-star motels. I don't mind lots of kids though, besides we'll really only be there to sleep we figured.

Thanks for your input Gardenspice, I appreciate it!

Naughtykitty, we are going to Disney World in Orlando, so I guess you probably don't have too many tips for me, huh? LOL You are so lucky to have a Disneyland pass!

• iowagirl2006
    16 years ago

Mickey -

The food court was OK. We enjoyed eating breakfast there and sometimes had a pizza or a light supper there. It is easy to get tired of "Disney" food after a week though, LOL! But it is OK. All the food throught the park is pretty much the same. Mickey waffles are good :)

I will echo Monica's recommendation for Liberty Tree Tavern in Magic Kingdom. We thought it was one of the better places to eat (of the ones that are less $$)

If you can, book a "prefered" room - it will be much closer to the main food court and large pool.

The last time we stayed, the main pool was drained for repairs. That was a bummer.

They do have laundry facilities. We pack super light and plan on one evening of laundry (One small carry on per person for a week). The laundry is by the second pool, so it is fun to watch the kids swim.

I liked the All-Star Resorts - we would book two adjoining rooms. We thought about going up to a nicer location, but the two rooms was much nicer for the 5 of us - 2 bathrooms!!!

I loved the ride called Soarin' - oh my! I would go back just for that!! It is at Epcot.

Will you have park hopper passes? You will have "Magical Hours" with those. Parks either open early or stay open late for those guests that stay at Disney and have Park Hoppers.

• kickypants
    16 years ago

Ahhhh, you're going to see THe WOrld! We went there for our first and only time a year and a half ago. I also planned out the things that I really really wanted to see and do. THa'ts really important since there is NO WAY that you will be able to see and do everything in one trip...unless you're staying for a month!!

I'd suggest not hopping from park to park in one day because you'll spend alot of your time either waiting for or on shuttle buses. That time is better spent within a park. Take time out to find a quiet spot and have a little rest if you're not going back to your hotel mid-day. If you buy a refillable cup, you can only use it at that particular hotel/resort....so think about where you are going to be when you need it filled. We used the one from our hotel since we are there first thing in the morning and again in the evening. If you get tired of the parks (noise and the Disney theme pounding in your head!) and you have the time...absolutely go to one of the water parks. Several people changed our minds into going to one and we were sooooo glad we did...it's a really nice getaway. If you bring that small backpack along...put your things into ziplock bags inside it...will be totally dry if you want to run through fountains etc (hey, it's Disneyworld...you can be goofy!) If you are sensitive to heat, buy one of those battery operated spray/fan/mister bottles from a vendor. They were a lifesaver for my daughter. Refill them with ice (Free) from all vendors. Wear a hat, waterproof sunscreen and sunglasses.
    Oh yeah, and don't forget the most important thing....TAKE ME!!!! I learned everything I neded to know from the Disney (World and Land) web sites....the people on those forums are absolutely fanatical about all things Disney and are worth their weight in gold as far as great advise goes. They'll even know all about what particular rooms to ask for at the hotel and all sorts of stuff you didn't even know existed. Be prepared to spend alot of time tough....there is soooo much info.

• aka_raeanne
    16 years ago

Mickey - the link below is through tripadvisor and it seems like most people are very happy with All Star Movies. We stayed at the All Star Music when it first opened and the rooms were small but who is in their room when they go to Disney? We also bought the mugs to get free refills and it is a good deal. They also had a very nice restaurant right there that had kid friendly foods and not outrageously priced (considering it is Disney). I am sure you will have a wonderful time.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tripadvisor

• monica_pa Grieves
    16 years ago

I strongly suggest Park hopping. We always have.
    I like the MAgic Kingdom or MGM in the mornings and for lunch, if the weather's warm enough, then go back to the hotel for the afternoon and a swim.
    Dinner either at one of the hotels or in Epcot, and Epcot in the evening for the light and fireworks show.
    If you have a big lunch, and aren't interested in a ist-down dinner...there is a bakery in France at Epcot, hidden in a corner, that makes great take-out sandwiches and delicious pastry to go.
    About an hour before the fireworks, find a bench along the lake and one of you go to France for the sandwiches.

A great way to see the Magic Kingdom fireworks at night is to go to the Grand Floridian, and grab a table outside, in front of the marina. You get a great view from there.

• angela_nor_calif
    16 years ago

naughtykitty - you are so lucky. I'm jealous. I wish I lived closer. I would definitely have passes.

• redcurls
    16 years ago

For the same price as the All-Stars, you can stay at Pop Century. We've stayed at 4 or 5 of their resorts and it is definitely on par with the likes of Caribbean, etc. Our favorite mid-priced one is Port Orleans French Quarter, but they are usually full and twice the price of Pop Century. I'd definitely go with putting all your incidentals on your room charge. You could get eaten up in ATM fees very quickly because they are $3.50 per transaction. The only thing you can't charge would be like a soda or similar item from a cart in the park. A Diet Coke is $2.50 for a 20 ounce bottle. One piece of advice: learn the ins and outs of FAST PASS!!!

• kickypants
    16 years ago

We stayed at the Dolphin....on DW property with all the perks but doesn't have the Disney theme throughout the rooms. Very nice, clean, 24 hour cafeteria, icecream bar (awesome). Its great for non-smaokers because it is a non-smoking hotel. The Swan has smoking rooms. All the buses run there as well. Has a really cool little ferry that takes you to the park. Gorgeous swimming pools. THe most comfortable beds and bedding in the world! We first looked at this hotel because it was the only one that offered larger beds...we wanted them because we stayed 10 days. WOuldn't hesitate to stay there again.