SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rdolesh_gw

Can I Safely Fit Bar Stools in Galley Kitchen: 3D layouts

rdolesh
11 years ago

Hi, This is our first post. We are really close to remodeling our kitchen and would greatly appreciate any input on our layout. I have really enjoyed reading many posts on Gardenweb. Our kitchen is modest in comparision to many I have seen, so keep in mind our budget is modest. And since I do video production, I thought: how hard could it be to lay out our kitchen ideas in my animation software? (really time consuming--but fun!) So the 2 big concerns is this remodel are this:

#1 - How Safe is it to put bar stools nearby a 8" step down?

- Don't want to put mounted stools down. But totally open to some swivel system, although we do have young kids. (2yrs and 4yrs old) and concerned over hands/feet getting caught. Any alternatives?

#2 Comments on Door opening width to the LR? Right now it's 5 feet. One rendering shows 4', and the Right shows 3' We have so limited wall space and the house is so 'open' and noise caries so easily thru the house, we figured we wouldn't miss the wide opening too much and need countertop space/storage. Comments?

The renederings show (lighter green/yellow section of the floor) a 15" proposed add-on extension of the kitchen floor, which is 8" higher than the Family Room. So all that would be happening is we would extend 15" of Kitchen floor OVER the existing concrete LR floor.
The total space available is about 37" to maybe 40" or so, as we definitely could slide the island towards the stove a few more inches--BUT CANNOT slide the 4" Support beam (although we can move it parallel to the Island a couple feet either direction). The floor grid is 1 box = 1 foot.

Finally, We don't want to take out the floor too much more just to fit the bar stools...we prefer table height bar stools...(we could go with TALLER bar stools, but we don't like the tallness...and I like the idea of being on the same level--you 'feel' like you are 'in' the kitchen.) Any input is kindly appreciated.

This is the view from our Family Room (sorry for the mess!) The soffit, cabinets have been torn down. Now ready for electrician. (The floor extension would cover maybe half of the small oval rug)

This is the same view as above, just before we tore out the cabinets...gives you an idea of how little countertop area the STOVE side of our 22' Galley kitchen has,

This is the SINK side. We tore out the soffit and the cabinets and do not plan on adding cabinets above the island

Overhead 'flat' view from Cinema 4D program... Note: 1 square = 1 foot. The proposed floor extension would carry the kitchen 15" into the LR and give the bar stools some
safety room. Do we need more? Any thoughts?

Here is the RIGHT view...shows 36" door (which we are leaning towards--any thoughts???)

This shows the proposed added on 15" floor. and a rough idea of the Family Room.(the lighter green area)

Here is a link that might be useful: Flicker pictures of Kitchen (existing and planned)

This post was edited by rdolesh on Mon, Dec 31, 12 at 20:12

Comments (10)