SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blazedog37

Kitchen Layout Input Please - Small Galley Picture

Helen
6 years ago

I am doing a gut remodel of my condo including the kitchen. It's small - approximately 8" x 10" and I want the obvious - increase functionality; storage and since it's open to the living spaces, I want it to aesthetically go with the rest of my unit.

• I'll post pictures of the current disaster - a layout which would essentially keep the same layout which was created some years back when I first contemplated this daunting project and the current gut remodel which would reconfigure everything except the sink/DW have to stay on the same side for plumbing reasons (let's call it the "wet wall") and the stove/oven the other side because it's where the communal vent in the wall is.

• This is where the stove currently is with the stupid wall - the wall is coming down and I plan to have some kind of wall unit in the same style as the kitchen cabinets on that wall to increase storage

• This is facing the kitchen from my living area. There is a higher counter which essentially forms the backsplash of the "wet wall". It also creates an additional cabinet which you can see behind the doors.

• Some people in my people eliminated the higher counter so it is one wide counter. My designer says this isn't a good idea because 1) there wouldn't be a functional backsplash and 2) any mess in the kitchen would be more apparent. My thoughts are that I would also lose the storage of that cabinet - of course I would be gaining more counter space and I am also having the wall of storage in the dining area

• Looking straight on to the kitchen from my living room. I have no need of counter seating since there is more comfortable seating in the dining area. I am thinking of having a cabinet/storage of some kind built that would be flush to that wall to the left.

• This is the current "hot wall". The current plans call for moving the refrigerator to the wet wall and installing a wall oven and a cooktop. The cooktop would be centered and the wall oven would go more or less where the refrigerator now is.

• There is a pantry to the left of the refrigerator. This is deceptive because it is actually functional shadow shelves. I live in a high rise and so it sits in front of a structural column so it can't be moved or altered.

• This is a view of the wet wall. Sink is fairly standard with D/W to the right and a tall utility closet to the extreme right. Refrigerator would go where the D/W and tall utility closet are now and D/W would move to the left of the sink. I'm left handed so this is actually pretty nifty for me.

• Better view of the wet wall. Drawers and to the extreme left is a narrow cabinet that I use to stash (or rather cram in haphazardly) cookie sheets and any other thin items that I can cram in there.

• This is a remodel by my neighbor who kept the footprint of the kitchen essentially. The only real change is centering the oven

• This is another neighbor's remodel. This is more extreme and was done by a young starlet who has since moved from the building.

• I will do another post with the actual plans from my designers

Comments (39)