SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
poppie_doppie

Replacing upstairs HVAC: ducting q's.. and Carrier or Trane?

poppie_doppie
14 years ago

2 story 7 year old home.. about 1800 square feet upstairs and 2000 downstairs. Upstairs AC being replaced. Some rooms have been hot, some cold, regardless of season... some have little airflow out of ceiling vents. Ducting is first issue - both vendors offer to replace existing big flexible tubes & distribution boxes with a new main metal trunk, 24 feet in each direction off the attic furnace/coil unit, and suspend it from the 2x4 roof trusses. One vendor offers dampers on each existing flexible tube "feed" at the main metal trunk; the other says just use the ceiling vent dampers to control the flow. One offers volume control dampers on each "wing" main trunk; the other has not said anything. One offers radius elbows atop the furnace/coil - called them "cheeks" (cute but descriptive) - to make the airflow smooth, rather than just putting a box atop the unit and attaching the trunks. One said ductwork would be $3600, the other said $4800 but has since reduced it to $4200.

Are the room dampers on each room feed a better approach or unnecessary?

Is the "cheeks" plenum better than a box atop the furnace/coil?

Next, Trane offers a 20i w/ a 95% efficient furnace, but is proposing an XV95 rather than the website-recommended 20i match XC95.. says the XC gets the efficiency without the cost of 3-stage furnace.. XV95 is only a 2-stage furnace. Both get power company credit of $750.

Next, Carrier says not to waste money on 95% efficient furnace for upstairs, and oh by the way, because it requires a PVC exhaust pipe, would involve working on roof to replace cureent 80% exhaust pipe, which for my house is a very steep roof. Trane sales rep said it was the installers problem, not his!

Third item.. evap coil.. Trane uses aluminum and Carrier uses ADP brand (and it is not tinned copper, which some have said is the only way to go) in order to get tax credit. Thoughts?

Overall systems:

Carrier: Infinity 21 - 24ANA136A33 outdoor AC 36000BTU; offbrand ADP indoor 3ton coil #C36A; 80% efficient furnace #58CVA090-16; #SYSTXCCUIDOI-B Control ("thermostat"); EER of 14 and SEER of 19. Includes new lineset and 10 year parts&labor. $12,650 excluding Energy Tax credit of $1500 and state credit of $350.

Trane: 4TTZ0036A1000A 20i outdoor AC (1.5/3ton dual), TUH2C100A9V4VA 95% furnace, 4TXCC043BC3HCA 3.5ton coil, TCONT900AC43UA communicating thermostat. EER 13? SEER 18+? Including new lineset and 10 year parts & labor: $13,950 excluding Energy Tax credit of $1500 and state credit of $750.

Carrier net: $10,800 (better ducting) Trane: $11,700 (95% furnace)

Flip a coin? Thanks!

Comments (7)