SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
moonshadow_gw

Big Newborn - what size to buy?

moonshadow
13 years ago

Someone dear to me is expecting their first very soon. I'm told baby is around 9 lbs and due date is still a couple weeks away. I'd like to get something suitable for outerwear on chilly days or extra warmth inside on bitter cold days for upcoming months and hopefully through spring (or at least worst months for them, through Feb).

Plan A (my preferred gift so far) is a fleece onesies (bunting) at a local shop. Sizes are 3/9 month or 9/18 month. Obviously the 9/18 is going to be too large for this winter. But I'm wondering about the 3/9 month. That seems like a wide size range, like it could swallow up even a larger newborn? (Don't know babies guestimated length, or if modern technology can even tell that. Only weight.)

Plan B is something cute from Old Navy. For a prior gift I got a newborn in the family some very cute outerwear (coat, gloves, a little muff for a girl, it was adorable and well made and parents loved it). Here is Old Navy/Gap's size chart. Much more age/weight specific. If I go that route and want to them to get as much cold weather use this winter as possible, what size from that chart would you suggest?

I need to order and ship asap.

Any advice or suggestions on sizing are greatly appreciated!

Comments (11)